Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I don't need a lot of yield, so I started a few container veggie gardens for my salads this summer.

The tomato is a sunsugar, and have since put a cage around it. I planted some red coreless Chantenay carrot seeds in with the tomato. Not sure if it'll work out in such a small pot, but I figured it was worth a shot.

In the middle I have a pot 'o various strawberries. I wasn't sure which to get so I went with several different kinds. Rainier, Tristar, Benton, and something else I think.

On the right is saladbowl lettuce. I planted some nasturtiums in the lettuce container along with other places in my garden. I also have a bunch of oxalis growing off camera that I had no idea was edible. It's tangy and kind of citrusy; I like it.

I got those 4 lettuce plants at the local nursery, Carpinito Bros, for $1.24 ($.31 ea) for all of them. I stopped at Fred Meyer later and noticed they wanted $1.99 for a single plant. That's 6.5x more expensive at the big box store. My seeds and potting soil are all local within 10 miles, and so much cheaper than buying at a chain. Buy local!

I have room for one more pot. I'm thinking asparagus. Do you think I'll have any luck, and what variety should I go for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

DuckTalesWooHoo posted:

You may want to be more generous with your pot size. As an example, a tomato planted in a 5 gallon bucket will be completely rootbound by the end of the growing season.

I'll get a 5 gallon bucket or something close to it for it soon and use that pot for something else then. Suggestions? I don't really use a lot of herbs, but I guess I could grow some catnip or mint or something.

Peristalsis posted:

Also, have you considered growing some pole beans on that fencing behind the pots (assuming it's tall enough)?

No, but that's not a bad idea for the extra pot I'm going to have very soon. That fencing is about 4.5 feet high, is that enough? I also have an entire backyard full of 3' tall chainlink I wanted to grow some hummingbird-attracting vines on.

I don't really like green beans very much, so I might like bush beans better? I like kidney beans, chickpeas, stuff like that.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 29, 2014

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Hey guys, remember my sad container garden?

I put in some planter boxes and have a proper garden now!

3'x5'x12" planter boxes filled with 'garden mix' soil from Pacific Topsoil and several bags of composted steer manure mixed in.

Locally grown plant starts:

All my goodies!

Finished!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

mischief posted:

Eh, even in the most organic approach there is a time and place for tearing poo poo up every now and again.

It helps to have a heavy counter rotating tiller when you need one.

I'm tearing poo poo up to put up a poly tunnel greenhouse because I didn't know where I wanted to put it 6 months ago. Putting a tarp down over the winter would've been a much better idea :smithicide:

Edit: I don't have a tiller, I'm clearing a 10'x8' spot by hand with a mattock

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Neon Noodle posted:

Do you have any bait plants in the surrounding area? I get aphids every year but they stay on the lamb’s quarter and other fobes in the yard. Granted, I don’t have roses but they do stay off my tomatoes because of the abundance of food plants in the area.

Any ideas for bait plants for rhododendron lace bug? I have three infested bushes in the front yard but surprisingly the variegated one in the back yard is unaffected. Not sure why.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Vicious Panda posted:

Every year I seem to get aphids on my roses… and apparently it’s that time again. I got quite the little eco system going here

I’m thinking about just letting it happen and letting nature sort it out (in the past I bought lady bugs and also tried spraying with soapy garlic water). I figure I can support the local aphid killers by leaving them

I'm reading the book Carrots Love Tomatoes and it says that planting coriander will repel aphids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I just bought some Ozette potatoes to grow. Looking forward to growing some rare potatoes in my garden this year.