Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Spikes32 posted:

For mulch I have the free option of shredded cardboard or wood chips. last year I did wood chips and they were fine, but just fine. Anyone have experience or thoughts on this choice?
Shredded cardboard is okay, but it breaks down super fast. It will at least be partially gone by the end of summer. It's also kind of poo poo as a weed barrier, they just push right past.

I keep shredded cardboard in a bucket in my kitchen to mix with scraps before they go out to the compost. It really helps with the smell, and gives the compost more carbon. It's awesome for compost in general.

Woodchips are better in general. You need to pile them pretty deep to get lots of benefit. They also tend to be more beneficial over time as the break down, colonize fungi, and release humic acid. The first year you put them down, they're just moisture retention and a somewhat okay weed barrier.

If you can only get one of the options, go for woodchips. If you can get both for free though, you should take them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU