Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

DarkHorse posted:

Ok so this might be something interesting to try. Probably only works on smart birds though

This didn’t work for me, but I’m also not sure if it was chipmunks who ended up stealing all of the strawberries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Today we had a tree company take down 6 trees that were too close to our house for safety reasons. They told me that they would have to run over my pachysandra, which didn’t bother me at all. They said maybe they’d have to run over my strawberry plants which I told them I wasn’t thrilled about. They said they would try not to run them over. They did all of the work while I was at work. When I got home all of my sunflowers were gone. They were just about to flower. My wildflowers were gone. One of my peonies was gone. I actually cried. There’s nothing I can do now, but man did that suck to come home to :(

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Thank you. I knew you all would get it.

On the plus side, at least there will be more sunlight next year. More possibilities.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Those Burpee Super Sauce Hybrids have piqued my interest for next year. How many plants did that harvest come from?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I have a weird question. For some reason, whenever I grow peppers, they don’t fully mature before the weather gets cold. I have no idea why. Everything else does. It’s now September and temps are starting to dip below 60 at night at times. If I bring my scotch bonnet and bell pepper in now, will they continue to mature? They’re in pots.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

For now, I'd bring them in at night and put them back out during the day. But for next year - how big are the pots? Because I started a bunch of peppers this year in what I thought would be decently-sized pots, and then I moved one to a bigger container and this is what happened (photo is a month later):

The bigger one has given me way more peppers as well as getting way bigger. So maybe that's the issue. (Or maybe you are smarter than me and your pots are fine!)

Nope. You’re definitely smarter! Mine are still in your smaller pot. That must be the issue! I’ve only ever had gardens in the yard until last year, so containers are new to me. I’ll have to upgrade for next year! Thanks for the tip and for the tip about bringing them in. Not sure why I hadn’t thought of that.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Somehow my zucchini and pumpkins all ended up with poo poo loads of end of season powdery mildew as the garden is winding down

Got a bunch on my yellow squash, too.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Hoya. Love them!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

:toot:

Dope! We have two cattes, one who really likes to munch on leaf-shaped things, so we're gonna have to figure out the best place to put it. Our bathroom windowsill is getting a bit cramped at the moment..

Edit: actually, a follow-up question to my above catte comment - I know furbutts dislike citrus. Would spraying plants with a water/lemon juice solution to try to get them to stay away be incredibly damaging to plants? I have probably 7 different types of plants, happy to list them if there could be a wide variability in their tolerance of a weakly acidic spray on their leaves.

I didn’t even realize it was you who was posting!

I never had luck with sprays, myself. I have scat mats strategically placed around the plants. It’s the only thing that has worked to stop the kitties from eating all of the plants. It won’t hurt them.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

You could get one of the astroturf kinds with the tray and put pee pads under the AstroTurf. As long as it’s outside, they should understand that outside = potty time, not inside. We used to astroturf kind and it worked well for our chihuahua/dachshund.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Definitely get big pots. A goon recommended these after I have issues with my pots being too small:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RY1QQNX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_MT51Fb8NKV38E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I plan on getting these next year.

I also live in the woods with lots of critters so growing them on my 15ft tall deck just made more sense. I ended up with some blossom end rot. Something to look out for depending on what your weather will be like:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I was treating seed releases like I would console releases. I didn’t have issues with Territorial Seed or Floret Flowers but I placed orders right away.

I’m really curious what stock is going to be like for trees from Costco or the local nurseries.

Also, folks should be ordering stuff like fertilizer, slug killer and so on now so that you’ll have it when you need it. I lost a ton of sunflowers from slugs last year and they already started getting at my ranunculus before I put down more slug killer to take care of it. It took a long time to find what I needed and it took even longer to ship.

What did you end up getting for slug killer? Slugs decimated my sunflowers last year and the ones I had left were killed by arborists taking a tree down.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I live in an area with high arsenic in the water. We had to get a special water filter for the house because of it. Should I test for heavy metals in the soil before playing a vegetable garden?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

What are the chances that I can pull up these ancient rhododendrons? If I hook up a chain to them and pull with a truck, do you think I’ll be able to pull them out?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Motronic posted:

Nah, that will break them off. You need them to go up some.

I typically pull stuff like that out with the bucket of my tractor and a chain, but I've seen people pull posts and stuff by putting the chain down at the base of them near the ground and then putting the chain over a steel wheel/rim and pulling away. Maybe that would work?

Can you explain the wheel/rim idea? Trying to picture it.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Motronic posted:

Good excuse to mspaint.

Ah I get it. Thank you!!

Solkanar512 posted:

Those are well known locally (PNW) for having a very solid taproot. Proceed accordingly.

Good to know. Hoping this will work. They’re so old I’m afraid the roots will be too hard to get out.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ok now y’all got me wanting to plant pumpkins. What’s the best variety to plant for pies and such?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

Hey it's page 420. Here's some photos of my afghani hydrangeas

So pretty :swoon:

I can’t wait until it’s legal to grow in my state

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Does anyone have any expertise wrt arsenic water and crops?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I agree that it still looks like blossom end rot

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Any idea why my new raspberry canes are all doing this?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Too hot, not enough water, too much water... give us more details about your area.

The weather has been all over the place. Had a heat wave for a while and recently it’s been about 50 degrees at night which is quite chilly for this time of year. Maybe it’s the temperature fluctuation?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ugh I have beetles in my veggie garden. What’s the best way to get rid of them?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Have you tried Yoko Ono yet?

This is the only real answer

Jhet posted:

Have you tried BT-sd or BT-t yet? They should be used while the beetles are juveniles. Neem oil/pyrethrin will help when they’re bigger, but getting ahead of it is best.

They’re no longer juveniles :( I have neem but wasn’t sure if it would work. I’ll give it a try. Thank you!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

snowshovelboy posted:

This is 100% caused by a bug. The parent insect comes in and cuts the cane twice and plants its eggs in the middle. You should snap it off at the lower cut made by the bug and throw it in the garbage. If you do not do this, the worm will eat its way down to the roots next spring and kill the whole cane.

Whoa! Thank you for this info. Do you happen to know the name of the bug?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks! I don’t have much experience with raspberries. Didn’t know about these.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

My tomatoes got way too bushy and grew way too fast for the Florida weave :( I can’t keep up with them at all.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Any idea why my black krim tomatoes produced a ton of tomatoes while my Amish paste barely produced any?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with the more fungal resistant hybrids? I’m thinking of trying plum perfect and Iron Lady next year.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Rudbeckia maxima I believe

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Pretty sure I have a groundhog somewhere around my house that’s destroying my garden beds. My tulips and all of my irises are toast. How do you get rid of these things????

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I am so very angry. I may blow this animal up Not really though

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You plant your bulbs in cages. No, really. You can make your own or buy them commercially; google "bulb cage". https://www.instructables.com/Gardeners-underground-bulb-cage/ https://www.amazon.com/VOLE-KING-Plant-Baskets-Gallon/dp/B06XHP5T6W/

My next-door neighbor has a fenced-in garden and gardens in raised beds. She also has gopher traps set underneath the raised beds, which she matter-of-factly checked when she was showing me around the garden.

You can't repel groundhogs/gophers/rodents from delicious tasty food. You can just make it impossible for them to get it.

Thanks for this! I guess I could make makeshift cylindrical cages above ground to protect the leaves/flowers as well as doing this.

Jhet posted:

Just make sure to not also go golfing in a thunder storm.

I think if it’s a groundhog or moles you need traps and relocation. If that fails the woodland creature shaped explosives may be your only hope.

This is what I wanted to do, but I did some research and…

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Relocation is not a humane way to dispose of rodents. A rodent dropped in a new location where it doesn't know where the food sources are, and doesn't have a pre-established warren, is predator chow.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Can we talk tomato trellises/supports? What works the best? I tried the Florida weave last year.

Bloody Cat Farm fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 24, 2022

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Jhet posted:

If you don't like the weave or cages, I've seen people have good results taking some cattle fencing and sticking it on a heavy duty and deeply driven stake (2x2). You can loosely tie it to the fence at the beginning of the season and weave it through to grow on both sides of it.

Oh shoot. Never thought of that. I like that idea. Thanks!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Joburg posted:

I’ve used that and the main drawback to the cattle panel method is that they are only 4’ tall. If you plan to have tall tomatoes you may have to bend the panel into an arch.

This year I am trying the Low and Lean method, it goes by other names, I think.

https://youtu.be/tDL3McRkPbg

I was actually going to do something similar to this that would have been much more expensive. This seems more manageable for sure.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

poverty goat posted:

Another pound+ of delicious fungus

Very jealous

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Finally decided what tomato trellis system to go with.

Don’t mind the rest of my yard. We’re doing some work on it.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

What’s causing this on my rhubarb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Ahhh thank you! I’ve never dealt with them before. Sprayed everything with neem this morning.