Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Bought a house late last year, and now this year I get to enjoy all the SURPRISE PERENNIALS coming up everywhere. It's pretty awesome.

The POs had a little raised bed, and plants have been coming up in there. I'm trying to figure out what's growing there. Some of them are pretty easy to figure out based on smell alone (oregano, garlic chives) but a couple have me stumped. I'm hoping/assuming they're all edible, because they're together with other edible stuff, but I'm not about to just taste them and find out.

#1:

Google thinks this is stevia.

#2:

Google thinks this is orpine/stonecrop.

Anyone able to help/confirm/warn me that I will die a painful death if I eat them? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Lord Rupert posted:

Yeah those look like accurate IDs for three both of them. I’m less familiar with stevia, but it looks p darn close. Enjoy them, sedum is a real favorite.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Looks like fleabane and orpine (stonecrop).

Thanks, both of you! Looks like fleabane is slightly toxic so maybe if it's unclear I'll just wait until it flowers to get a better confirmation of what it is.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Real hurthling! posted:

My tomato wont stop getting taller. Its so tall.

That happened to me once when I was trying to grow a tomato plant on my apartment patio. It just kept growing and by the end was > 6 feet tall. I got like three tomatoes from it.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

"I'll plant a little catnip for the cat" has quickly turned into "holy poo poo what do I do with all this catnip WTF". I'm pretty sure I couldn't kill this thing if I wanted to. Thankfully I had the foresight to put it in a planter.

... and it turns out said cat won't even eat it. :negative:

In more positive news, the basil I planted is finally starting to thrive after a really slow start and the loss of its sibling plant. Between that and a frankly obscene amount of oregano growing, I've got some tasty meals ahead of me.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Joburg posted:

Try catnip tea. It’s pretty good and your cat might like it too.

Schmeichy posted:

This. It's supposed to help make you sleepy and it tastes pretty good

I'll give it a shot! No issues sleeping but I like tea so if it tastes good I'm down.

That said, I did try eating part of a leaf straight and it was... very green tasting.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Bought a house late last year, and now this year I get to enjoy all the SURPRISE PERENNIALS coming up everywhere. It's pretty awesome.

The POs had a little raised bed, and plants have been coming up in there. I'm trying to figure out what's growing there. Some of them are pretty easy to figure out based on smell alone (oregano, garlic chives) but a couple have me stumped. I'm hoping/assuming they're all edible, because they're together with other edible stuff, but I'm not about to just taste them and find out.

#1:

Google thinks this is stevia.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Looks like fleabane and orpine (stonecrop).

Coming back to this, they've grown HUGE and flowered and it definitely seems like daisy fleabane. They're so big I might need to do something about them soon because they're preventing the vine behind it from getting almost any light.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I have a couple pots in the backyard with dirt in them but nothing planted. One of them appears to have somehow gotten a volunteer that is absolutely taking off:

The main stem is ~.75-1in thick, and it has a couple little yellow flowers that remind me of cucumber flowers. I've never seen a cucumber vine this girthy before and the leaves look different and there are no tendrils, though. Any ideas?

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 26, 2023

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ooh, tomatillo definitely seems likely. Thanks!

I wonder how it got in there...

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

My neighbors seem to be starting up an amateur thistle farming operation. Anything I can do to prevent these from spreading over to my yard other than trying (likely futilely) to get them to kill those spiky bastards with prejudice?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Speaking of annoying critters, we have a rabbit that keeps digging holes in our front yard. I filled one and put some seed over it, so it dug a new one. Filled that one, and it dug up the original again. Any tips for chasing it away? Does stuff like this repellent actually work?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Ooh, tomatillo definitely seems likely. Thanks!

Tomatillo followup: still thriving with nothing but rain and occasional hose water. Shoved a couple bamboo sticks in there that the POs had lying around, but may need to add more support soon.

Also, a few weeks ago we bought a seeded watermelon and just for fun I threw the seeds in an empty pot to see if they'd grow. They did!

I probably planted them too late to get any fruit, but it'll be interesting to try earlier in the year next year.

Next year's when the real fun starts, I'm planning on putting in a pretty sizable concrete block raised bed. Very excited to get some garden tomatoes again, store bought are terrible.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Also, another identification question from me. Found this guy growing right next to our house in the front. Any idea what it is?

Google Lens seems to think it's a redbud, in which case it definitely needs to be yoinked out.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Redbuds are the weediest trees, but they're also lovely and planted intentionally all the time.

I'd love to have one! Just not a foot from my foundation.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

It's been ridiculously record-breakingly warm this winter, and some of our perennials (mostly hostas) are confused and coming up way too early. Should I be doing anything about this? Should I encourage it by watering them, or wait until we're in at a much more normal time?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Are there some good guidelines somewhere on filling raised beds? I'm going to be making some this year that should be ~2 feet tall. I have some sand and a bunch of fallen branches and old firewood I was going to throw in the bottom, but that still leaves quite a bit of space. Presumably not all of that needs to be top quality amazing soil, right?

If it matters, I'll mostly be growing things like tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, and cucumbers in them. I never remember planting any of these very deep when helping out as a kid.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanks everyone for soil advice. I'll look into some local companies and see what my options are to at least fill the top half with good stuff and try to find resources on filler for the bottom.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Looks like I could get free compost around here but I have no vehicle appropriate for it and the minimum for them to deliver is 10 cubic yards so :lol:

Another place will do $35/yard for compost and $45/yard for compost/topsoil mix with pretty reasonable delivery prices (they're only 3 miles away...) which doesn't seem too bad though!

I suppose I could rent a truck or something and do the first place but it's probably worth the money just to save all that time and effort and have some delivered.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Newbie question, but do cucumbers need to climb or do better if they do? Or is it just a space saving thing?

As a kid, when we grew cucumbers they always just kind of sprawled out on the ground and seemed to still be quite prolific.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

:getin:

A lot of work ahead of me though! Going to do another levelling pass to get everything straightened out, and then I'll be putting together a concrete block raised bed on it. Should be awesome when it's ready to go though!

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

A lot of work ahead of me though! Going to do another levelling pass to get everything straightened out, and then I'll be putting together a concrete block raised bed on it. Should be awesome when it's ready to go though!

1.8 tons of concrete blocks delivered today. Surprisingly, moving them is significantly less tiring than doing half of the remaining levelling was. (I do have a hand truck though)

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

:getin:

Dr. Eldarion posted:

1.8 tons of concrete blocks delivered today. Surprisingly, moving them is significantly less tiring than doing half of the remaining levelling was. (I do have a hand truck though)

Main structure is finished! :dance:

Now I just need to stick it all together so I'm not constantly adjusting blocks after bumping into them / leaning on them / etc. I really like the look of the bare blocks, but dealing with mortar/adhesive would have been a nightmare given how many adjustments I had to make and sections I had to re-do to get it all straight and fitting together. So I'm going to slather the whole thing with surface bonding concrete. Still wavering on the dye color, though - I had initially thought of going with a light terra cotta but I'm second guessing myself, maybe I'll play around in an image editor and see how it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanks! I love how it turned out. I know I'm not maxing out the growing space but I wanted to jazz up the yard a bit and there's a decent amount of space to add more beds if/when I want to grow more.