Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

I can't say for sure, but I will say that if these guys are harmful then I've never noticed. My beds end up absolutely crawling with them on some mornings, to the point that there are probably hundreds in a single 8x4 raised bed. I'm guessing it's the result of the completely raw wood chips that I use in my paths.

looked them up and

quote:

The flesh is thin and the taste mild. It can be eaten but is poisonous when consumed with alcohol – hence another common name, tippler's bane.

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shifty Nipples posted:

Are unripe habaneros edible/palatable or will it all be for nothing if they don't hurry the hell up and ripen?

yeah they're still good. also if they've progressed far enough they might ripen off the bush, but i like em as they are

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah in 8b there's big ornamental rosemary bushes that survive regular (but relatively infrequent and noncontinuous) hard freezes. but those things are massive and woody and established

edit: lol i looked at the hardiness zone ranges vs. the recorded minimum winter temps here, we're more like 9a or 9b for the last decade. wonder what's going on with our climate?

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 7, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

I completely understand the desire to be as no-kill as possible, but horn worms are a major tomato pest and they'll utterly devastate your plants. You pretty much need to either kill them or accept that you're gardening for the moths and not yourself. A big infestation will leave exactly zero usable plants.

Something to keep in mind with home gardening is that you're creating an unusually massive bounty for certain pests that love these plants and it's really hard to actually create the fabled balanced ecosystem of prey and predators, especially if you want to have any harvests left for yourself. You don't need to carpet bomb your garden with indiscriminate pesticides, but some degree of management is unavoidable.

lol I learned this lesson last year planting (native! great for pollinators!) purple passionfruit. which was great for the native caterpillars that devoured my vines entirely before they got established

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Spikes32 posted:

Any suggestions for grow lights for starting seeds, or should I just grab whatever is cheap on amazon?

If it's any help, when I went through this same thing a couple months ago I settled on Barrina lights -- their six pack of 2ft 144 watt LEDs was the cheapest I could find at the time that also had decent reviews by real people.

I'm pretty happy with them after two months of 18 hours/day usage, zip tied them to a set of shelves and put them on a timer and they've done a great job getting all my seeds going and indooring some of my outdoor plants during cold snaps.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm doing a couple eggplant cousins, 'striped toga eggplant' and 'pea eggplants' this year, because they looked cool (and because i'm afraid florida heat/bugs/etc would ruin me if i tried big ones)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

Rats with a PR team.

Edit: is there any way to have cilantro growing in the garden through the summer in 7a/7b? Would crowded planting in partial shade and planting every two weeks work decently to get a steady supply of non-bolted plants?

not technically cilantro but a heat-loving replacement called 'vietnamese cilantro' by my local nursery is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persicaria_odorata

spreads a lot laterally without growing tall, tastes reasonably close, and i think will not flower unless you're in a tropical clime

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 26, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Alucard posted:

This is especially amusing since cilantro is sometimes labeled as Chinese parsley, so you've got Vietnamese Chinese parsley

lol herb names are such a mess! i bought a "cuban oregano" (which is cool cause it tastes like oregano but has big broad semi-succulent leaves)only to look it up and see it's also called mexican mint, indian borage, and spanish thyme

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 26, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i've used this stuff for all my tomatoes this year and i really like it, it's durable in weather and easy to reposition/reuse

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i was watching a video from some seed farm where they were starting basil seeds directly on top of the soil, seems like they like to be at most barely covered by soil

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Organic Lube User posted:

Also, if your tomatoes are just starting to turn red, go ahead and pull em.

this is one thing i hadn't realized until watching a video from my local ag extension office, where 100% of the phds and master gardeners were like "letting tomatoes get to full color on the vine is insane and just asking for heartbreak, pick them as soon as color change begins if you are in any way worried about pests or disease"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah in the past when i've done cherokee purples and other big heirlooms, they seem drat near impossible to finish on the vine without splitting some, but they still end up tasting pretty good

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 22, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i am afraid that is Technically Not A Scam but in practicality a scam

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah my habaneros smelled really strongly when split in half and dehydrated at ~110 degrees or whatever, but they didn't put much capsaicin into the air or bother me like frying them would. but i know habs are nothing compared to some of the super hots people do

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

in zone 8b gulf coast we had the worst freeze in decades this winter (fully below freezing for multiple straight days and below 20 for a good portion of that) and the one citrus that did great, shrugged it off without issue, and is bearing a ton of fruit right now is my red lime (kumquat x rangpur)

also red limes are cool they're like if a lime was also a sweet orange. highly recommend

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jhet posted:

https://phys.org/news/2023-11-hardiness-gardeners-nationwide-unveiled.html

We’re into 9a in Seattle mostly now. Solkanar512 does some citrus in the area, but I don’t see tarps or anything past some piled leaves on the citrus in the neighborhood myself. You might still get hit by a hard freeze, but they don’t tend to last more than a week anyway.

oh poo poo i'm 9a now too. that makes a lot more sense tbf, below 20 was the first time in 7 years i've lived here, definitely not an average extreme minimum anymore

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm delving into Dwarf Tomato Project stuff this year. I'm container bound, otherwise I would be checking out more of the Wild Boar options (although the DTP Fred's Tie Dye appears to be a dwarf of a Wild Boar variety).

same here, i bought a bunch of varieties from victory seeds on a whim one night and now have a few dozen seedlings just starting to put on their first pair of true leaves

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

how do you stop those things from being Mosquito City? is it just that it's hard for adults to get in and lay eggs

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I got my super hots sowed Jan 15th, they've got about three sets of true leaves now in solo cups. This year I'm making a crappy webcam time lapse of them growing for the whole season. Unfortunately my cam doesn't have adjustable focus up close so the quality will be kinda blurry until I move them out to the patio and the camera is a few feet away.

man some peppers are so slow -- half of mine started in december are in small pots with numerous leaves, meanwhile some hong gochus and aji dulces barely even have their second set of true leaves yet.

probably should've started them at like 80 degree soil temp or something, but my heating mat struggled indoors when it was literally freezing outside

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah see if your city has compost pickup locations or somewhere where you can collect arborist's mulch

if not, landscaping companies that will deliver soil/compost will be vastly cheaper than buying bags from a big box store

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

therunningman posted:

I will pass it on!

Manure will most likely come with a literal shitload of weeds too, unless perfectly composted.
Check your local landfill. Ours (used to) sell some very nice composted solid waste at a very reasonable post and made really good top dressing in flower beds and on the grass.

yeah ours has free "compost" but since it's almost exclusively arborist clippings and leaves and not that old, it's not exactly the ideal homemade compost (still, a great filler and it'll all become good soil sooner or later)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah this is also why you see people placing grow lights like 3' above seedlings, super close.

an actual outdoor full-sun day is a lot of light and even with grow lights things on the edges of the lights or too far away may end up getting less than you think, one of those inverse-square relationships where intensity falls off extremely rapidly

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NomNomNom posted:

My tomato and pepper seedlings aren't progressing. Planted Feb 14, all germinated within 2-3 days but have completely stopped.

Soil is homemade peat/vermiculite/perlite which I suspect is the culprit. My buddy who has the same seeds has some that are 2-3 inches tall using miracle gro seed mix

some of those look like they're in rough shape if they've been like that for multiple weeks, but others that have their seed leaves open and green look just fine.

i used the same size starting pots this year and observed a significant lag in visible growth, then all the sudden after a couple weeks of nothing they'd take off and start rapidly putting on true leaves. my assumption was that it's because 4 inch or whatever deep is a lot of space for root growth and it's spending a lot of resources on that for a while

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

here in north florida irises are unkillable beasts if you stick them in full sun, even when they've got lovely marginal soil

have to dig some up every year or two because they expand so quickly

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my cucumbers in 9a have a handful of blooms each, just starting to go up their trellises.

giving some bush-types a try this year in grow bags with little a-frames, i've only grown the sprawling kinds in the past and down here they tend to go crazy in early summer then rapidly succumb to disease and mildew

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah just keeping the fruit and leaves off the ground is very helpful -- cukes are thin-skinned and their leaves love to get powdery mildew/rot/etc, so anything that stops their leaves from getting wet when you water and having soil splash on them helps a ton

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i similarly stuck some pruned peach branches in the ground and they fully flowered and now have leafed, but last time i checked had zero roots at all so i'm just kinda hoping they decide to root eventually

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is a good reminder to start doing some preventative neem spraying before all my poo poo is covered in leaf-footed bugs in may (gently caress leaf-footed bugs)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

If I want to include some nitrogen fixing plants for companion planting, do I need to infect them myself, or or just trust it to happen on its own at some point? Does it matter if they are indoor/outdoor?

from what i've gathered, most nitrogen fixers will find their bacterial friends sooner or later but inoculating them gives them a jump start.

probably not hugely necessary for a few companion beans or whatever, but maybe a different story if you're laying down acres of cover crops and need to maximize nitrogen production

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mischief posted:

Our tiller definitely gets loaned out more than anything. Chainsaws and pressure washers are up there but the tiller gets flogged pretty hard.

i got a 16' sun joe tiller walmart had on sale and it really is handy, great for quickly turning under cover crops, great for busting up grass and making new beds, etc.

probably terrible if you needed it for serious commercial use but really useful at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

trap crops make sense to me but it feels like there is a lot of gardening myths about "companion plants" that'll repel pests that are very questionable