Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I just moved into a new place and have a small area I'm allowed to garden in. It faces east and is bordered by lawn, I'm renting so can't make too heavy of modifications. Currently occupied by rosemary, cabbages, mint and then nothing behind the giant bushes. My plan is to tear out the mint in the middle, and at least one of the cabbages, and plant tomatoes, maybe eggplants or squash. Not sure if anything would survive behind the bush on the right with less sun. I'm going to visit an Armstrong garden or something similar, but would love suggestions for what would work well in this space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Are there any tomatoes varieties that do better with wet soil? My small garden plot is right next to a lawn the university tends, and the sprinklers hit my garden twice a week, keep the surrounding soil damp enough my garden rarely fully dries.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is there a site somewhere with a comprehensive list of what could be eating my plants and what the signs would look like? It almost seems like a caterpillar or snail but I can't find the culprit and I used toule to line the edges of my garden.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Motronic posted:

These exist, but it helps to be able to narrow it down. Take a pic. Flip some leaves over and take a pic. We can probably point you in the right direction.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm in San Diego and it doesn't seem like they're out west, though I could be wrong. Maybe a fig beetle? Should I try neem oil since it's not very harmful?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Well I went out last night after dark and found a snail in the garden so the toule isn't doing quite enough. Any suggestions on best snail deterrence strategy?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

SubG posted:

One year we had a fuckin' plague of slugs and Sluggo seemed to help. Although if you went out at night and only saw a snail I'd stop going out at night and try to not worry about it because holy moly if you've only got one snail in your garden count your blessings.

Based on the amount of holes in my plants it's not just one snail. This was just the one that was there when I went to check.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is there such a thing as raccoon repellent? Just saw one checking out the garden. Nothing for it to eat yet but I'm sure they'll be back.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

CommonShore posted:

Still thinking about deer for my future country house.

How tall does a barrier need to be to keep deer out?

Taller

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I know coffee is an old suggestion, but I've seen a couple reports that show any caffeine levels in the soil lead to smaller plant growth as its an inhibiting agent. May want to find a substitute for the coffee grounds.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
In the next few weeks I'm going to add about six inches of soil to a 5 X 8 ft bordered garden. Is the 'garden soil' from a hardware store fine? I'm not going to be living here for much more than a year so can't do any long term soil improvement.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Chad Sexington posted:

Depends what the soil is like there now. If it's got a bunch of clay and tends to retain moisture, the cheap bagged stuff can make it worse. And if the soil needs nutrients, it won't offer much. I'd amend with manure and maybe top with a layer of leaves or mulch to spend the winter breaking down.

But if the garden soil is all that's available, you're still probably fine.

I can easily get whatever Lowes generally sells. If manure is there I'll get that. No truck so can't get the real cheap stuff. I'm in zone 10a actually so plan to be gardening over the winter so the add stuff and wait 5 months won't work for me.

The base soil is lots of clay. There's about a foot and half of mixed base soil plus generic garden soil bags in there right now. I'm trying to make it better before my next attempt.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm amazed at how much water my acorn squash needs. I'm watering it daily or it wilts by noon.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I just planted it four days ago, so hopefully it just needs to set more roots.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

showbiz_liz posted:

Only problem is I have to haul all my water down the fire escape.

Get a hose that hooks up to your sink, they sell adaptors.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

i am harry posted:

I need to do the same

:butt: :circlefap:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
What are the most cost effective potting methods for patio gardening? I'm hoping for between 4 and 8 plants on my patio and would rather not buy expensive pots from home depot that break after 2 years

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

showbiz_liz posted:

Get a twelve-pack of felt pots for less than $25. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RY1QQNX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pots aren't the problem, the soil is the problem. Granted I have 22 plants in 7-gallon pots, but I'd say my costs this year were like $40 on pots and $300 on enough soil to fill them.

Thanks if the felt ones don't last super long at least they are cheap. And I've got a worm bin going, but it just started since we just moved to the area. Lugging soil up three stories is gonna suck. At least I have six months before I'll be planting...

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm planning to get big cloth pots for some balcony gardening next spring, and fill them up this month with alternating series of soil (likely from home depot) and compostable materials, mostly greens and shredded cardboard. I'm in the bay area and expect to get some amount of decent rain this winter but no real freezes (or at least extended ones). Will the rain as it soaks / drains from these cloth pots carry a high amount of nutrition out of the soil? Is there anyway I should come up with a better plan?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone have suggestions on sites to buy large pot trays? I need 21 inch diameter trays for my 20 gallon cloth pots to sit on so I don't stain the patio, and the largest I found was 17 inch diameter pot trays.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Platystemon posted:

Gro Pro makes them.

Shipping is probably going to cost you a pretty penny if you can’t get them locally, but there are online retailers.

Thank you! Found a local reseller for them.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone used the sun and shade analyzer app? Just bought our first house and hoping it works as well as it claims to for determining sun exposure with trees, fences, and the house itself.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I want to plant a multi fruit grafted tree this winter. I'm seeing some that are 2 years old and relatively cheap, is it better to go for a 5 year sapling instead? And should I care about the base trunk in relation to my area? Ie since I'm in the bay area should I get specific a tree that is specific to west coast / California or is it just as long as its good for my zone?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Any reccomendations for a landscaping mapping tool? I've got a lot of different plants on different elevations in my new home that I'd like a way to map out, keep track of, and ideally have some form of calendar task notification system if possible.

I also need to find where all the irrigation systems are and plan out retrofitting drip system into them and expanding it to new areas.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
If I have super sandy soil is the advice the same?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Any suggestions for grow lights for starting seeds, or should I just grab whatever is cheap on amazon?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks all I went with the barrina lights from Amazon and they'll be arriving tomorrow

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Any tips for gardening with squirrels? I don't have a way of easily physically restricting access, do the chili powder spray ideas actually work?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
For vegetable garden mulches, I can get wood chips for free. Is the nitrogen loss enough of a concern I should go out and buy hay or straw mulch instead?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks all free wood chips from the county it is

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
We planted a multi grafted peach / plum / nectarine tree this winter. Which was very wet. Just the peach leaves have developed brown spots. Is there anything I can do besides reduce watering?

Unaffected plum leaves

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks we drip water the tree and it's fairly spread out in it's branches so we'll just hope it makes it to next year.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
These tomatoes are already taking advantage of me

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Do you have lichen already in your yard? Blitz that up with the Buttermilk and paint it on the bench. Then let the blender soak in a vinegar water solution for an hour and you'll be fine. The lichen will grow faster in a damp environment so a mist sprayer or carefully getting the bench damp daily will speed things up.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
What do I do once my indeterminate tomatoes are at the top of my trellis / netting? It's 8 ft tall right now...

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I may have planted my tomatoes too close together / let them split (2 maybe 3) times too many.... :f5:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Do squash just do this on bright sunny days (80 degrees) or is something else wrong?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
No grains at the base of the plant or small holes. I'll water it tomorrow morning and see if it does the same thing in the afternoon

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It really looks like squash vine borer damage to me, especially with how not the entire plant is affected and the yellowing leaves.

Zooming way in on my phone it looked like there was some orange vine borer frass right at the base of those first few leaf stalks.

It can be easy to miss if they are just starting out and you don't know what you're looking for. Its just a little pinhole with some orange stuff around it. As the damage gets more advanced it gets more obvious and you'll see big yellow chunky stuff coming out of the stems and they stems themselves get brown and woody.

e: You can do surgery with a razor blade and get the borers out and sometimes save the plant, especially if you water well and mount some dirt over the wound. Slit along the length of the stem till you find the borer. I have also had some success injecting Bt into the hollow of the stem with a big fat syringe above the borer damage. Yes, your neighbors will give you some funny looks.

So this morning I went and cut off and open one of the leaves that was still wilted and didn't find anything. This afternoon I'll take close up photos of the stalk roots and check more thoroughly and do surgery on a wilted stalk if it happens again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Any suggestions for sprinkler system watering controllers? Ours just died (toro) that the PO installed and it was fine, no iot simple enough buttons.