Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicious Panda
Sep 16, 2023

Every year I seem to get aphids on my roses… and apparently it’s that time again. I got quite the little eco system going here

I’m thinking about just letting it happen and letting nature sort it out (in the past I bought lady bugs and also tried spraying with soapy garlic water). I figure I can support the local aphid killers by leaving them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicious Panda
Sep 16, 2023

Neon Noodle posted:

Do you have any bait plants in the surrounding area? I get aphids every year but they stay on the lamb’s quarter and other fobes in the yard. Granted, I don’t have roses but they do stay off my tomatoes because of the abundance of food plants in the area.

Arg! I was planning on doing that sort of thing at the end of last year but completely forgot until you mentioned this... Story of my life. Actually, remembering and putting it off would be the correct story :classiclol:

I was going to add plants that encouraged anti aphid bugs but your idea of bait plants would be smarter since the aphids seem to come before the lady bugs and friends. I'll look into what would be good to add in the area that might help. I haven't planned my yard in any smart way, I just see plants I like and add plants (besides their sun needs). Last year I finally added tulips so I would have an early blooming plant and I was pretty proud of myself for that forethought.

As of right now, this rose bush seems to be the aphid bait, it's in an area that gets less light so i wonder if that is doing it, my other rose bush that usually gets infested is clear of pests. I'm pretty sure it's because the aphids can sense I like this one a lot more... I guess they like it a lot more too :gonk:

Thanks for the good idea!

Vicious Panda
Sep 16, 2023

Lacrosse posted:

I'm reading the book Carrots Love Tomatoes and it says that planting coriander will repel aphids

I’m going plant shopping tomorrow and I’ll take a look for coriander, that seems fun to try, thanks!

On that note, anyone have recommendations for a tomato plant for someone that doesn’t really like tomatoes but everyone is always talking about how amazing garden tomatoes are so… (I do like them in BLTs)
I bought beefsteak last year and I guess they were fine but I want to try something else, something better, there are just so many varieties… so many

Vicious Panda
Sep 16, 2023

Found sun gold but not black krim, I’ll keep an eye out for it though cause now I’m curious.

I got some marigolds for aphids and cause I like flowers :D although I’m not the biggest fan of annuals.

Also bush cucumbers hopefully for pickling, early jalapeños which I have no idea how they differ from others (come early I guess), habanero peppers, and Roma tomatoes for pasta sauce!