Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You're going to be drowning in zucchini. I hope you have lots of friends to share it with.

Good for you though, looks like fun :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Chili powder shouldn't hurt the earth in your garden. It's just organic material. It only affects us the way it does because of the chemistry of our mouths and taste buds.

Alternatively you could put a mesh cage around your plants since it's just on a porch. Small enough to keep the tree rat out, but big enough that it won't block the sun.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ChaoticSeven posted:

Zucchini, The Beginning

4 days from now this picture will be wall to wall vegetable.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

They might be fruit flies, do you have any food laying around that they could be eating?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had cheetos laying about in the carpet, I meant like a bowl on the counter with apples and bananas in it.

Hmm, do you have room to build a little tent of screen material over the planters? Maybe if you isolate them as a habitat it might be easier to find out where the bugs are coming from.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I bought 2 kilos of white clover seeds. 40 loving dollars.

The lady at the garden centre said it will only do about 1000 sqft on its own, but if I plant some grass first, wait a few weeks, and then plant the clover, the seed will go a lot farther.

Anyone had any experience with that?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I am. Grass is terrible stuff, I want the clover because it doesn't grow too high and it will feed bees.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have the grass seed too, I just wanted to know if the advice the lady gave me was sound :v:

So you would say seed them at the same time then?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Good idea. My acreage is basically going to be a giant experimental farm.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tequila Mockingbird posted:

I live in Calgary.

They make really inexpensive wire trellises that stick right in the ground for sweet peas. It's fun to watch them climb up the wall all year.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tequila Mockingbird posted:

Do you live down in the states? Up in Calgary we aren't supposed to plant until this weekend because frost is usually done.. but wouldn't you know it, forecast says mixed rain and snow for tomorrow now and it's looking like next weekend would've been the best time to plant.

My dahlias are perking up a bit, all but one seems to have come back to life overnight. Maybe the one will snap out of it today or tomorrow. Today it's overcast, and yesterday it seemed that it was the sunshine that really sapped them. So they're back for now, just in time for snow! I'll have to cover them up tonight.

Oh good, I didn't miss the planting weekend then. Maybe I can get something done when I get home now :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's going to be a shock to return to Calgary after two weeks of this:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ChaoticSeven posted:

Maybe a canning thread with recipes or what not would be good here or in Goons with Spoons.

Please do it here. Canning is usually a self-sufficiency thing and that falls pretty well 100% under DIY. :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Just put it in the microwave.

Or that "put it in a jar and let it starve surrounded by food" idea was great too.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Raspberries are basically a weed here. You almost have to salt the earth surrounding them to try and curb their expansion throughout the yard.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Anubis posted:

If everyone in America planted a dozen hills of zucchini world hunger might just be defeated. Although, I think it might hurt international relations when we dump a cargo ship of zucchini in a Canadian harbor and run away, in the middle of the night.

We're perfectly capable of growing retardedly huge amounts of zucchini ourselves. :canada:

Go dump it somewhere else, like Australia.

Unless you bake it into cake first, then we'll take it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

madlilnerd posted:

Behold! The fruits of my labour!

..oh. :(

On the upside, I now know that beets don't like being swamped in a flowerbed full of pretty pink annuals, but that they will grow in my soil.

The other response to this is "why did I even bother trying to grow beets, they taste rank."

What are you on about, beets are delicious.

If you don't like them boiled, then you should pickle them or something. They're pretty good.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You guys all busy harvesting or something?

Let's see some more gardening pictures god dammit :colbert:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nice stuff Jovial, looks like the family had a fun time :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My office is on a big green kick lately and wants to start collecting compost from the kitchens.

We produce an awful lot of coffee grounds and other material and I would love to collect that and set it to work.

Problem is, those blue bins kinda suck for collecting that poo poo. Bags are no good (wasteful, plastic sucks, pain to clean if you want to re-use them) so I'd like to have a smooth-lined plastic bin, enameled bucket, or a stainless steel bin with a lid that I could collect it all in.

I'm having trouble finding one big enough to handle the waste, small enough to carry by myself every night after work, and sturdy enough to last for a few years.

I've seen those little 4 litre kitchen ones which is the same theme as what I'd like, just bigger.

Wheeled stainless bins would be ok too, but I can't find those anywhere.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Kilersquirrel posted:

A nice diaper pail could be your solution. If it can hold back the stench of aging baby poo, it should do the trick for compost. Some of them even have holders for baking soda/charcoal stink-reducers.

That's a great idea! Thank you!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Where do you guys order your seeds from? Or do you re-grow your own every year?

I got half an acre I want to plant...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Half an acre? What is your goal with all of that?

To grow as many vegetables and chickens as I can look after to feed myself / friends.

It's pretty bald prairie:

That lump of dirt is backfill once they finish building my house.

I live in dry Alberta, so I don't expect to get a whole lot of veggies out of it. I'll water when I can, but I don't want to waste well water if I can avoid it, so I will definitely have giant plastic bins catching all the rainwater off the house and eventually the shop.

The worst part is, the land lengthwise on an east/west orientation, that picture is looking east. So the garden area will get plenty of sun in the morning, but later in the evening the house (2 story) will block a fair bit of it. Luckily I'm far enough north that I get some pretty insanely long days in the summer, so maybe it will balance out, I dunno.

In terms of row orientation, is east/west the way to go? Seems logical to me, all the plants of the same height will receive roughly the same amount of light.

Thanks for the link, those varieties look pretty appealing to me :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks for the links guys, though I bought a shitload of stuff from superseeds yesterday.

Veseys looks great, I wish I had known about them earlier. I'll probably try their stuff next year if these ones don't work out.

Has anyone here used one of these earthway seeders?
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/tools/gardeningaids/earthway

I want to get something like that to do my garden with. I think I'll have everything I need to prep the rows. Buying a C-tine cultivator for the tractor tonight hopefully, I've got a disc harrow to smooth out the dirt the cultivator leaves behind, a chain harrow to flatten that out, and a goosefoot cultivator to keep weeds in check.

My folks have an old poly water tank roller that ruptured a few years ago that I could probably have. I'd just patch up the crack with some steel and fill it with sand. Do you guys think it would be worth it, or is rolling the soil a waste of effort?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

We've got a really nice 11hp troybuilt my parents bought 10 years ago when we moved onto their acreage. The thing is a cast-iron leviathan with electric start.

They didn't know any better and got the type where the tines rotates the same as the tire direction. When working on unbroken, hard packed prairie ex-pasture, it didn't work all that well.

We tried to prepare beds, and failed, for a year and a half with the troybuilt and eventually had to get a super-cheap sears branded counter rotating one to actually break the soil with. We promptly broke two of the sears ones in a four year span, but we knew that was going to happen, because, poo poo, the transmission was made of stamped steel plates. We picked sears because they had the best warranty so we could just drop it off and pick up a new one.

Once the initial breakup was done, the troybuilt was great for keeping it tilled and working in the garden., though the gearbox does like to leak a bit of crankcase oil from time to time, which the dirt immediately sticks to and makes it difficult to keep clean. Also, we hit some large rocks buried in the dirt and broke the tine axles, easily fixed by the dealer.

However, that said, I don't see any reason to have two tillers. If you're only going to get one good tiller, buy a counter-rotating one because it can do everything.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Zuph posted:

Got my seeds from Fedco today. I think I might have over ordered a little. Most of this should last a couple years, at least, though.

Click here for the full 1500x650 image.

What's up, ordering-too-many-seeds buddy?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

How coarse is the soil on that Wonder Soil stuff?

I've seen people take a sifter or a fine-screen sieve and run the top inch or so of earth from their potters through it so the topmost bit is really fine, and then plant the seeds in that.

Apparently, it makes it easier for them to get the right combo of water, heat, and air if you just bottom water.

I've never done it though, so this is all hearsay.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

loving hell, it says to not even start anything indoors until april here. :smith:

code:
Crop	Start Seeds Indoors	Moon-favorable Dates	Start Seeds in the Ground	Moon-favorable Dates
Beans			Jun 13-27	Jun 13-26
Beets			May 23-Jul 4	May 28-Jun 11
Broccoli	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28	May 23-30	May 23-27
Brussels sprouts	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28		
Cabbage	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28	Jun 6-20	Jun 12-20
Carrots			May 9-23	May 9-12
Cauliflower	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28	Jun 6-20	Jun 12-20
Celery	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28		
Corn			Jun 27-Jul 4	
Cucumbers	May 16-30	May 16-27	Jun 20-27	Jun 20-26
Lettuce	May 2-16	May 13-16	Jun 6-27	Jun 12-26
Melons	May 16-30	May 16-27	Jun 27-Jul 4	
Onion sets			May 16-23	
Parsnips			May 23-Jun 13	May 28-Jun 11
Peas			May 2-16	May 13-16
Peppers	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28		
Potato tubers			Jun 13-27	Jun 27
Pumpkins	May 16-30	May 16-27	Jun 20-27	Jun 20-26
Radishes			Jun 6-20	Jun 6-11
Spinach			May 2-16	May 13-16
Squash, summer	May 16-30	May 16-27	Jun 20-27	Jun 20-26
Squash, winter	May 16-30	May 16-27	Jun 20-27	Jun 20-26
Tomatoes	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28		
But I guess that's good, because I don't move in until april.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I would be interested to know what kind of nutrient drain zucchinis are on the soil.

If they get most of their material from the atmosphere, they might be a good candidate for a green manure crop.

Anyone know?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

madlilnerd posted:

Of course, you have a Rotavator, so it probably wouldn't be too much of a problem for you. And if you had a few goats, this blog says that you can offload a harvested glut on them, and then would only have the plants to dig in.

Well, actually, I didn't have a tiller.

Until friday that is.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Clover seed is loving expensive though. I do have a big bag of it, but nothing grows here during winter.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Got a used earthway for 60 bucks.

Hot drat.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cerri posted:

I'm signed up as Cerri on myfolia...would there be interest in a Goons in Gardens group?

No. Quit trying to make me join other forums. :arghfist::(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have never seen a 29cc four cycle engine before. That's awesome that it was able to handle your clay.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cage em quick, before the birds get at them.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Costello Jello posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if birds would just eat a whole strawberry or tomato, instead of goring a hole in every single one. loving birds.

OOH A SEED *stabs*
OOH A SEED *stabs*
OOH A BUG *flies off and leaves fruit to rot*
*is a loving chickadee*

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

kid sinister posted:

Around here we also have to worry about box turtles. Somehow they manage to get into my dad's raised beds.

What? How do they get up there?

Are you sure they're not orcs in disguise?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nice. Didn't even notice the change at first.

:golfclap:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

By "dispose of" you mean "incinerate" right?

(I hope.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It snowed here again today.

I hate you guys with your perfect climates :smith: