Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
One of my new years resolutions was to start growing some poo poo in my currently completely unused backyard. I just happened to wander into DIY and see this thread.

I'm starting simple with something that should do well in hot central Texas: Chili peppers.

At the moment I am germinating the following:

Jalapeno
Cayenne
Serrano
Cubanelle
Sweet Banana
California Wonder

I'll be potting all of these for now.

I've also had success with the idiot-proof AeroGarden I got for Christmas. Unfortunately the starter herbs (mint, basil, thyme, chives, parsley, and dill) are mostly useless for anything I would be cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

madlilnerd posted:

Oh, you guys have aerogardens!... Where do I begin?

Really the Aerogarden is idiot proof (I should know).

1. Buy Aerogarden (I got mine from these guys: http://www.hydroponic-home-garden.com/)
2. Assemble Aerogarden (takes about 5 minutes)
3. Fill basin with water (there is a little pole in the basin that says "fill to here")
4. Drop in the little tablets that say "starter tablets".
5. Stick the seed pods into the holes on the planter (the seed pod package will tell you where to put them).
6. Put the little domes on the seed pods.
7. Plug in the power cord.
8. Push the "Select" button until the type of plant you want to grow is lit.
9. Walk away.
10. Every 2 weeks you put in another set of nutrient tablets and add water.
11. Become so sick of eating fresh basil every meal that you can't stand the smell of basil anymore. You have to pick the basil every couple of days because it grows so drat fast and crowds out everything else. The basil you see in my photo has just had about 4 inches cut off and is still taller than everything else. I've just started bringing baggies full of basil to work for anyone who wants it.

It's really not "gardening" because the computer controls everything. It knows when to pump water through the roots, when to turn the light on and off, and when to ask for more nutrients and water. If you actually want to learn something the Aerogarden is not the route to go.

Windy posted:

edit: I got a SpaceSaver 6 for Christmas. Everything started out fine until the third week. Then everything started to die off but the Oregano and Basil. Your Aerogarden looks so nice compared to mine :(

The basil probably killed everything else.

Zuph posted:

My goal is to make my neighbors think I'm growing something other than tomatoes.

Your setup looks just like my college apartment when I was growing something other than tomatoes. Those lights aren't going to cut it, especially for tomatoes.

Videodrome fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 26, 2009

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
quote not edit

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

Mnemosyne posted:

The only thing I can assume it was was that they weren't getting enough light maybe? They were on the windowsill, so they definitely got light, but maybe it wasn't enough? Does basil need direct sunlight all day long to grow? Is there anything else that could have killed off my plants?

What direct did the window face? If it wasn't facing south (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere) it probably wasn't getting enough light.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

Mnemosyne posted:

My only south-facing window is in my bathroom. I've got both a north-facing window and an east-facing window in my kitchen. Should I give up my dreams of growing herbs on my windowsill?

I don't see why you can't grow in the bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
Amateur pro-tip: tomato and pepper seedlings don't "harden-off" well in 30mph winds.

Time to start over. :(