Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I was given a handful of radish seedlings, with the roots all firmly bound in some sort of water retaining seed-starter fabric, and I am completely at a loss for how to plant these things. Am I supposed to pull individual plants out, damaging roots, or what?

My understanding of radish is to start from seed and give it a little room. It seems like starting 50+ seedlings in a 3"x3" spot would be less than useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
It's really just a porous foamy kind of material, but it's pretty root bound at this point. I only care because it was given to me by my wife's crazy Chinese mother, and if we don't at least try to plant them I'll hear about it for at least a month. :)

I'll dig out the camera later tonight after work.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Quick question... I put in my first garden this year and it took a ridiculous amount of effort and materials to make the clay into something worthwhile. Like 650 lbs of mushroom compost, 9 cubic yards of peat moss, and 3 truck loads of soil conditioner. The dirt is pretty awesome now except when it rains. It makes a "skin" almost of clay on top of the dirt and pretty much strangles any new growth I've got from seed. My tomatoes, cukes, peppers, and bean plants are chugging right along just healthy as they can be, but lettuce, herbs, and other leafy plants got covered up before ever getting tall enough.

Would mulch help this situation? I "mulched" the bean areas with some dried grass and dead frasier fir leaves and it seemed to help them considerably. What would the best mulch if that is what's needed? I'm running out of time to get good spinach and lettuce grown before it gets too hot I think.

Edit: Added comically huge and badly focused pictures here, here, and here!

mischief fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 1, 2009

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

kid sinister posted:

Did you even till that stuff in? It doesn't look like you tilled it enough...

It definitely got tilled. A lot. With a commercial grade monster tiller. I actually dug all the clay out 18" deep and then added it back in to mix with the soil conditioner in equal parts, then everything else got tilled in. It got tilled thoroughly at least 4 times. It's like a thin layer of clay floats up out of the dirt when it rains. The soil itself is amazing now, you can plant by hand, it holds water well, drains perfectly. It just makes this 1/16" skin of clay on top when it rains.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I'm in the process of replanting a few of the beds and mulching them with dead leaves from the cypress trees in my yard. It's free and I think it'll help. I was just baffled, after spending all that time and effort to make super dirt, I came home to standing water in parts of it.

It's a learning process, that's for sure!

Also, any suggestions for a cheap way to make the walkways less muddy and treacherous? I can get gravel cheap, I just worry that it will sink down into the dirt regardless. Eventually I'll use paving stones, I'm just waiting to find some in the local Re:Store for cheap.

mischief fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 2, 2009

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
It'll probably stay dirt this year, I've dumped enough money into the ground now that it's really unlikely this garden will pay for itself in a year. I'll get around to gravel and pavers next year when I expand.

Stupid NC clay. :sweatdrop:

The mulch in the garden helps immeasurably. All the plants seem happier and we had some pretty hard rain last night with no visible negative impact on the garden. Put together some trellises from some treated furring strips, about $3 for each one. I think that's the last expense for this year, now it's just on to growing some yummy produce hopefully.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Had another really heavy spring rain today and it seems like my mulch experiments worked. I left one patch of the garden unmulched and mulched the other 95% or so. The mulched parts are perfectly fine and already showing good growth from the lettuce planted in them. The unmulched part is floating in water.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
D'awwwww, your tomatoes are going camping! :allears:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Is there any point in me starting some habanero seed with a frost date of around November 1st here in NC? I've never grown hot peppers and ordered some on a lark the other day, I have the ability to start indoors, etc, I just didn't know if that was insufficient time to get a good yield of the fiery little bastards.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
That's pretty much what I figured. I think I'll hold off to next year, just stick with getting my tomatoes and such to work.

Any secrets to getting tomatoes to actually vine on a rope trellis? My cucumbers and beans are off like gangbusters but the tomatoes are just kind of shrubbing at about 2' tall, even with pruning.

Sorry for any simple questions, first year and all.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
My grandfather had success using ammonia on rags on his garden in Virginia, but we ultimately were only really successful shooting them. One of his draft horses tore her leg up pretty bad in a hole and we declared groundhog genocide for the summer.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I've got about two dozen tomatoes and have lost count of the cukes. One end of my garden is trying to take over my bean trellis with their runners. Cucumber is like tasty kudzu. The ones I have trained are almost 6' tall and festooned with little baby cukes. It's the rest of them that are the problem.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I would find the biggest pot you can get your hands on for the cucumber. They get big. Mine are almost 9' tall and putting out 5-6 cucumbers a day at an increasing pace. Give them plenty of room for the roots and you'll get a lot more cukes!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Tequila Mockingbird posted:

woop! I have a pretty big pot sitting on the deck here so that's definitely in the works for next week :)

Just make sure you throw some gravel in the bottom before you fill it up with potting soil. Don't want to drown the little fella!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I'd smursh the poo poo out of the worm, then tie him up on a stake in the garden to remind his buddies.

It worked for me with rabbits.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Thanks for summing up my hornworm experiences, superpoop.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Shazzner posted:

I've still been tinkering with my garden setup, and want to make sure it's perfect, before I start planting stuff.

In my raised garden bed I tilled up the soil beneth it but the soil itself is so full of clay and dense that I think it'll be a serious barrier to drainage. My plan is to sort of put a layer of mulch on the bottom on top of the normal soil to both aid drainage and to keep weeds from sprouting up; then on top of that put the normal compost/soil mixture and finally a thin layer of mulch around the plants.
code:
Mulch
  V
Compost
  V
Mulch
  V
Bottom topsoil
What do you guys think? Am I overdoing this?

With my plot I dug out a 16'x10' section 18" deep, then put come cheap gravel in the bottom. Built up the dirt on top and it's working amazingly well.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
http://www.highmowingseeds.com/
http://www.seedsofchange.com/
http://rareseeds.com/ - their print catalog is amazing

All good places for something new or unique for a season. Had a lot of success this year with the lettuce mixes from Bakers Creek.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Richard Noggin posted:

hornworms...

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Soooo... onions and carrots planted over the fall in Greensboro, NC. Are they harvested before or after winter? I wasn't paying attention when I planted them. :allears:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
As long as the stuff isn't just water logged sludge it would probably be okay. Potting soil is dirt cheap though (see what I did there?) so I don't see any reason not to just get some fresh stuff to try again. Throw some cheap gravel in the bottom first before the layer of potting soil to keep the bottom from getting water logged and stopping everything up.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I used the double dig approach and a tiller to overcome some seriously clayey soil last year. A LOT of work but really worth the effort. Compost is definitely your friend, and a cheap way to improve the soil is to gather leaves from your neighbors when they fall and till those in as well.

It is a tremendously rewarding hobby and once you have some habits and experience you can start to see significant savings if you eat a lot of produce (lettuce especially for some reason, that poo poo is waaaaay over priced in the stores).

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Getting everything wound up here as well. Need to make sure my seeds are all still in order. Spring is loving awesome.

:toot:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

kid sinister posted:

Kind of... When they build subdivisions nowadays...

That's when you dig it all out and mix in a few truck loads of compost. It took forever. :sweatdrop:

The "top soil" for the grass was maybe 1/2" deep, the rest was straight clay.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
They're just good sources of organic material really. Ideally you would compost them all first but I don't see how adding a little bit of them directly would hurt anything.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Got my peppers and 'maters started for the year. Orange and white habanero, Caribbean red habenero, Thai burapa, and some bhut jolokia seeds in the post from South Carolina. Stuck with some safer tomato options: better boy, brandywine, and san marzano.

Expanding the garden Saturday for all the new sauce components. :neckbeard:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Pepper Joes has had a lot of success down in South Carolina growing them, I'm hoping that will translate over to NC. The habs and the jolokia are occupying a new part of the garden that I will make a little sandier, etc. I'm also only growing probably 3 cucumber plants this year. I had six last year that grew over 9 feet tall and we were just sick of cucumbers halfway through the season.

Tearing apart some palletes over the weekend to build some tables for a container lettuce garden idea I've been nursing all winter. Those are some hateful bastards, but hey.. free wood for tables.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

El Bano posted:

Finally finished...

Those look great! I'll have to post pictures of my hacked together palette planting tables once they're done. I am decidedly unskilled as a carpenter.

:ohdear:

teknicolor posted:

Also, its my first time in zone 7 so I have NO idea when I should start my seeds.

http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates

Congrats with the first time backyard. It's quite an adventure the first year but it's all fairly obvious if you pay attention. Take pictures, we love pictures in the thread.

mischief fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 8, 2010

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Weird, they're pretty on point for central NC looking over the dates.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
All of my tomatoes and hot peppers have germinated. The tomatoes are growing like wildfire. Now if I can just get these Jolokia to start I'll be off and running. Spring is really just a better time of year for gardeners. So much expectation!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I'm going safe this year, only one heirloom.

Better Boy, Rutgers, and Roma, then Brandywine.

Most of my attention is going to be my peppers this year.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Make sure the pots are getting good light and not too much moisture. If you want to let it dry out a little bit that could help, but don't go overboard. I had the grey mold on a few of my coco pots this year and they resolved themselves with some better ventilation and lighting.

Those look like pepper seeds.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
We have a programmed thermostat in our house that tops off at a similar temp and seed starting has not been a problem.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Seems like a barley or clover approach would have better results and be a lot more effective in generating material for efficient composting.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Just wait, Smidgen. Soon you'll be devoting way too much time and money to the whole affair.

It makes for some drat good produce, though. You're in a great spot climate wise, get your tomatoes and hot peppers on!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I got a free topsy turvy from Gardens Alive last year and will trip report it this year. It's kind of a plastic fabric similar to a tarp and doesn't seem like it would out last a bucket.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I just lost two rows of spinach to tornado related weather. Boooooooo.

Edit: Started a Folia account, if only to track the stacks of difficult plants I'm trying to grow this year. So far I have bhut jolokia, white habs, Caribbean red habs, Jamaican reds, and Thai burapa getting ready for transplant. Disappointing germination for the jolokia but I'm still excited.
Got some tomatoes off and running to boot, some Brandywine, Rutgers, Big Boy, and Roma. All graduated to some bigger peat pots after outgrowing their seed starts.
Got a whole rack of herbs started too, but they're looking awfully leggy. I think I started my basil too early this year, then we ended up with unseasonably late chilly weather and then spring tornadoes. I have a LOT of work left in the garden, trying to cut up sod and get the clay worth a drat. School and work and having kids is a pain in the rear end.

mischief fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 29, 2010

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Started expanding the garden today. Took up the sod off about another 300 sq ft, tilling in compost and soil conditioner tomorrow. Heat really snuck up on us here in NC, I'm still a little nauseous from over exertion digging in that damned clay. Wheeeee.

On the positive side, all of my peppers are growing their 4th leaves, including the bhut jolokia. Can't wait for some rear end in a top hat searing sauces!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Here is what was left of the old garden after a really rough winter for the area. My onions and carrots overwintered, to my surprise. That's them there on the left.

Current expansion efforts. Not a lot of backyard to deal with, but I'm excited.

I've got poo poo tons of tomatoes and hot peppers started, and most exciting of all for me is my 100% germination rate on the 4 bhut jolokias I started. Tomatoes are all about 2" tall now and coming along wonderfully. Now I just need to design an intelligent path layout for the drat thing. I doubt these parts will need to be tilled again once I'm done this year.

Edit: Looking at old pictures, it's amusing how fast poo poo accumulates in your backyard when you start gardening.

(The boots were a carry over from the absolute clay drenched muddy nightmare we dealt with double digging the first section. Sue me.)

mischief fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Marchegiana posted:

I grew corn one year, just a little bit, to see what would happen. I had 16 stalks planted in a 4' by 4' block, and got 1-2 ears per stalk. However, I also got hit hard by corn earworms, and ended up throwing away nearly two thirds of the ears because the damage was so extensive. So now I just buy corn from the farmers market, and use that space for growing something that the bugs don't eat the hell out of.

Isn't corn really rough on the dirt too? I have yet to read anything that would compel me to try it in my limited real estate.