Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've just had my garden done up (i'll post pics when the patio's finished next week) and was wondering if there were any hard and fast rules about watering the brand new turf.

It was put in yesterday and i was told to 'give it a good soaking'. Being a numbers guy though, i prefer hard figures.

It's had completely new loam soil put in as well as proper drainage installed below this to take care of issues I previously had (crappy top soil, terribly rotovation and all on top of thick clay soil), so i'm not sure what the risk of overwatering might be (if that's even a thing at this stage).

Anyway. I had the sprinkler on it last night for about 3 hours and then it rained a little overnight. I went out to feel it now (about 24 hours later) and the grass was dry and I've started to notice slight bits of shrinkage on the turf as well as ever so slight yellowing of the edges. So I've just put the sprinkler back on for another hour as i'm pretty sure those are signs it needs some water.

Anyway, below is the weather forecast for my area for the next week. It's saying Monday's the only day with rain and temperatures are floating around the 15°C mark.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcvvdsybr#?date=2020-07-25

How frequently and for how long should i leave the sprinkler running with the above forecast? Or is that not an easy to quantify number and i should just look for the signs i mentioned above?

Also, how important it is to cover every inch of the grass physically with water?

My sprinkler is a circular one and doesn't quite reach right into the corners of the square area the grass has been planted. I can make adjustments to the radius of the sprinkler to cover it but wasn't sure if soaking the in-progress patio just now would be a good idea.

Essentially, I'm keen to make sure i look after the lawn properly and not neglect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm looking for a bit of help diagnosing what's up with this plant, (the yellow withered bits basically).

There were a lot of slugs on them a week or two back in the middle of the plant and i assumed it was because of them. So i popped down slug repellant/killer (the little blue dots you can see on the ground) and that seemed to take care of them (haven't seen any slugs since).

However the middle of the plant doesn't seem to have recovered at all.

My lawn was reseeded last month too so the plant's been getting a daily dose of light watering (via a rotary sprinkler, on for 15 mins a pop) while i water the lawn. The plant itself was planted last October so it's been in there for a while and it seemed like it was growing fine up until a few weeks back when i noticed the yellow bits and the slugs.

I've a few more of these scattered around the garden too and they all seem to have similarish symptoms (the slugs were everywhere).

Also, the bed that it's in is a planter built on top of drainage so it's never really too wet in the soil.

Could it be over watering? The place where we bought the plants from said that it was a pretty hardy plant (aubrieta) that can survive in dry soil so i'm not sure what we're doing wrong.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

We've got a flowerbed with a bunch of newly planted perennials. I think some of them are struggling to grow due to some grass seeds that got mixed into the planter when we had the lawn reseeded a few months back.

Basically there's a few plants which have blades of grass growing through them soi think the grass roots are intertwined with the plant roots. They're a bit hard to pluck out (and i'm not sure if that would do anything anyway), but is there a weed killer or something that i could use to kill the grass and not the plants?

It feels like it would be a common problem, but all the weedkiller in the shops around here (i'm in the UK) seems to either be lawn safe weed killer or salt the earth and kill everything weedkiller.

edit:

A quick google came back with this, but i'm not sure if it's just home remedy bullshit.

Make Your Own Herbicide
Avoid using chemicals by creating your own organic herbicide using vinegar, salt and dish soap. Mix 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup of table salt and 1/4 cup of dish soap together; place them in a spray bottle and then spray the mixture on your plants. The vinegar kills the grass, while the salt prevents it from growing; soap, on the other hand, makes the herbicide mixture cling to your grass.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 12, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You could use a narrowleaf selective herbicide. Grass is narrowleaf. Most garden flowers are broadleaf. You should ensure that yours are though. You wouldn't want to apply it around ornamental grasses, sedges, irises, lilies, bananas, etc.

We've got Catmint, Aubrieta and Erigeron. So i'm not quite sure if they constitute as narrowleaf or not.

I had a quick google for narrowleaf selective herbicides and can't seem to find a UK stockist for it.

I've got a few patches where there's grass growing in the plant bed away from the flowers so i can test that homemade remedy on it to see if actually kills grass. Though my concern is whether stuff like vinegar, soap, etc will damage the 3 plants i mentioned above.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sorry for all the gardening questions but i'm just learning about all of this stuff as issues are arising.

Below is a picture of one of the clematis' we have and in the last week i've spotted that the left branch/stem has been getting darker and is now rapidly dying i think:

I've no idea what happened to it short of noticing that something was munching on the bottom leaves for both stems a few weeks back, but for this sort of thing should i basically be cutting that entire side of the plant off to allow the stem to maybe regrow as well as let the healthier side bloom?

It's had buds like that for a few weeks now but hasn't produced any flowers so i was wondering if it was to do with what was happening on the left stem.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hi all, i'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to diagnosing what's up with the basic plants in my garden and was wondering if anyone might have a clue as to what i'm looking at.

We had new turf and cherry laurel hedging put in recently. The turf is just a month old and the laurels were planted about a week ago.

For the turf, there's this brown patch that's started to appear after the laurel was planted and it looks to be spreading from the outer edge. It's been quite hot recently (21 odd degrees C on some days) but i've made sure to water the lawn a lot during that first month and then every couple of days since the laurel was planted to keep that hydrated on days where there's no rain due.

For the laurel, i noticed almost right away that one or two of the leaves were yellow/orange and now a few more leaves like that are appearing across the others (near the bottom mostly). There's a few holes in some of the leaves too where i'm guessing bugs have eaten them.

The landscaper came round to finish the lawn while we were out so i didn't see how he put the white chip stones (he did those at the same time as the laurel), so he might have been standing all over that patch of turf for all i know rather than the neighbours driveway.

Basically i'm trying to understand if there's anything i should be worried about in terms of disease or whatnot. With the turf only being down for a month and the laurels a week, i was hoping not to see anything yellowing yet.

Grass

Cherry Laurel Hedging

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jhet posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694&perpage=40&noseen=1

You might want the landscaping thread. A fair number of people in here would just suggest you had put in a garden instead of lawn, but you’ll catch better info in that thread.

My entire “lawn” is just a patch of dead grass right now as it hasn’t rained in a month and I refuse to water it. And the moles just dig it up anyway. Yours honestly just looks like the grass in that spot isn’t happy with being transplanted and wants more water, but I really don’t know and it could be dying back for other temperature or season conditions.

Amazing thanks. I'd have never thought to differentiate it in that way. Landscaping to me, from my limited experience, is getting stuff like a patio or planters put in rather than the health of grass or the hedges or whatever.

I'll try giving it a bit more water, but it's had the same amount as the rest of the lawn (which has the lush green colour and is growing stupid fast) so it just seemed weird that one tiny patch would be dying.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm trying to have a proper go at looking after my lawn this year rather than half arsing it like I've done before (like not aerating or adding lawn feed and maybe not putting enough new seed down etc).

Anyway, it's finally been dry enough for the first mow (im in the UK) and ice cut it short and given it a once over with the scarifier ice got.

It picked up a lot of thatch but there's still little thin clumps of it on top of the lawn where the machine hasn't picked it up. Not sure if I need to go all over it again to b make sure I get every last piece as I read that too much scarification can be bad for the lawn.

Anyway, the machine also has a blades aerator that I'm gonna use next before overseeding however I noticed a fair bit of moss throughout the lawn.

So what do I do at this stage? I went looking for a fertiliser to use after overseeding and found some miraclegro all in one, feed and weed/moss killer but it mentions the moss dying over weeks and then needing raked up.

After I aerate the lawn do I put something like that down then wait a few weeks before overseeding?

Or do I aerate, overseed and then put that stuff down at the same time?

Is that stuff the right thing I should use?

Also when it comes to overseeding how much seed do I put down? Should I be blanketing the lawn with it, for example, to the point where you can't see the exposed soil between the existing blades of grass?

And should I be covering the seeds up with other soil rather than just leaving them sitting on top of the aerated lawn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hmm, I'm worried I just hosed up my whole overseeding plans for spring.

Due to how wet it's been, I wasn't able to do the first cut until Mid-April, got the scarifying done after that, but I just put down some all-in-one feed/weed/moss killer because I read it was pointless to put seed down if you didn't get rid of any moss first (there's a fair bit around the edges and probably a bunch in the middle I'm just not seeing). From what I've just read though I need to wait 8 weeks until putting down new seed after using that which puts me right bang in the middle of June.

Is that always a bad time of the year to put new grass seed down even if I'm watering the lawn every day to help keep it hydrated?