Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Spent the labor day weekend on a birthday gift for the partner! We'd been getting into hobby gardening lately, well mostly she has and I've been helping. I've got a bit of landscaping experience from when I was conscripted in my child and teen years to help in my mom's garden, so it's been nice to put some of that experience to use for something worthwhile.

My main goals were economy of parts needed, materials balanced between longevity and price, ability to dismantle/rebuild, and a minimum of equipment needed. I ended up going with the cheapest timbers I could reasonably find (8' cherry for $5 apiece) and some 1/2" rebar stakes. No fasteners or glues.

I initially planned to use a hand saw for everything, but after hand sawing my first lap joint I instead borrowed a miter saw from a neighbor. The only other tools were a drill, a rubber mallet, and a couple of longevity awards from Salesforce, which have finally found a use in the garden (holding down fabric, and as a block for driving stakes with the mallet)

The finished product! All that's left is to fill in the dirt at the base.

Some close-ups of the joints, lest anyone accuse me of being skilled:

It'll sit in the current state until we're ready to harvest or euthanize the sugar pumpkins, then we'll start filling the bed with dirt and compost over the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think with sufficient heat you can boil anything away

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 16, 2023

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm doing some prelim research into starting a citrus tree or two, and I'm wondering if anyone has any options or tips for frost control. My dad told me about the smudge pots they used when he was growing up in Cali, and it does seem like the cheapest/easiest option, but I doubt it'd even be legal to use where I'm at, to say nothing of the fire hazard lol. Other options seem pretty pricey (warm air mixing/blowing, fogging systems).

Should I just not worry about the frost or treat it as a risk of the hobby?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm in the Seattle area, Zone 8. It frosts occasionally over the winters, rarely snows, and the lowest I've seen the temp get is in the 20s so far (maybe possibly into the teens with the windchill but I haven't paid attention to windchill since moving out of WI).

Tarps and blankets, eh :thunk: Yeah I could def swing that if needed. Better than a burning pot of diesel/oil lol

Motronic posted:

Classic philly move is to put incandescent christmas lights on your fig tree.
I wonder if this could do it for my needs haha

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Could you not put the citrus in a pot? We've got a potted lemon tree I started from seed in zone 6 and I just keep it indoors. We're not expecting lemons off of it though, because it's a random grocery store lemon seed I stuck in a bucket of dirt at the demand of my toddler, but it's actually growing pretty well this way.
I could, but I don't want to. Not a lot of room for one

Jhet posted:

https://phys.org/news/2023-11-hardiness-gardeners-nationwide-unveiled.html

We’re into 9a in Seattle mostly now. Solkanar512 does some citrus in the area, but I don’t see tarps or anything past some piled leaves on the citrus in the neighborhood myself. You might still get hit by a hard freeze, but they don’t tend to last more than a week anyway.
Thanks for the heads up!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

trilobite terror posted:

GlyphGryph, why are you growing grass indoors?

For grazing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Schmeichy posted:

What a great gift! Looks nice, you should update when it's planted
Got it all planted with a little help!

Three rows of California softneck garlic in that front nub (gets the most sun), a row of danver carrots, and a row of yukon gold potatoes in the back! We'll be adding a second row of carrots in 3-4 weeks.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Turn lemons into lemonade and start farming asian ambrosia beetles instead

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Got a sprout after only a few days! It's in the carrot row so I'm pretty sure it's a carrot. It could also be an errant garlic planted by the kid. Guess we'll find out!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

that looks more garlic than carrot to me unless it's much more zoomed in than it seems
That's what I was thinking too. I don't remember her putting garlic in that exact spot, but it's exactly in the carrot rows. Should be fun to find out lol

Bi-la kaifa posted:

No that's just a really big carrot
it's this

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 22, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Took another picture, this time hopefully with a better sense of scale. The second sprout behind it makes me think carrots, because the 4yo kinda put her carrot seeds between rows as well

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

effika posted:

I really am not getting carrot vibes from those. We'll see when the first true leaves come up, yeah.

For example, here are my just-sprouted carrots. The white yarn is pretty standard worsted-weight acrylic yarn. The sprouts start very small and thin.

Yeah that's what i was expecting!

Okay so this morning the sprouts were noticeably bigger and i got paranoid that maybe it was some weed, so i gently tugged to see what would happen, if they were carrots they should give easily, but it was stuck hard. So i dug down a bit and found confirmed garlic ~6" down. At that point I'd already disturbed a bunch of soil so i figured I'd just remove it (sorry garlic).

Welp lol

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 23, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If you take some out, chew it up, and spit it back in, it should help kickstart the cold weather composti ng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Looking great! I like the rat statue