Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

edit: I got a SpaceSaver 6 for Christmas. Everything started out fine until the third week. Then everything started to die off but the Oregano and Basil. Your Aerogarden looks so nice compared to mine :(

What are the opinions on seed starting kits such as this one that uses spongy bits versus a soil mix? I'm planning a seed order this week with my mother, and we have a garden spot roughly 25'x12' but there is plenty of room to go larger. We plan on growing the standard fare along with a few new items. To save money(in the long run) I'd like to start from seed, but I didn't have a lot of luck last year using those Jiffy pellet things. I relied on light from my window which was probably 80% of my problem. This weekend I'm going to look up plans for an inexpensive adjustable light stand and see if that will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

In just four days all my basil has sprouted, and it seems that overnight my tomatoes have sprouted up over and inch! However, the tomatoes are all gangly and falling over. I hadn't had time yet to set up my lights yet because I didn't expect anything to come up so soon. Will my little tomato sprouts strengthen up once I get them under growing lights tomorrow, or are they doomed to be weak and useless? Right now they're just sitting in a window without direct sunlight.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

kid sinister posted:

You might want to cull your basil back to one plant. A single basil plant can form a bush 4 feet tall and around, more than enough for one household.

Tomato plants themselves aren't very strong, they are more like vines and are grown in cages for added support. Still, they're strong enough to stand upright by themselves without support until they're at least 18-24 inches tall. If they're that bent over now, it's because they don't have a direct light source like you said and are growing towards the light, most likely the nearest window. Once you add a proper overhead light, they'll correct their stems and start growing towards the new light source.

Ok, hopefully they'll look a little better when I get the lights up this afternoon. As far as the basil goes, I use it a lot for cooking, drying and making my own jars of pesto so I'm prepared for hoards of delicious little plants should they all survive when planted outdoors.

edit: How are the Brandywines Kid Sinister? My mother usually plants Better Boys, and the seeds I started are an heirloom mix. I honestly won't know what kind of tomatoes I have until they mature.

Windy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 9, 2009

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Does anyone else ever feel like a gushing idiot while telling others about their garden? After the massive failure with sprouting seeds last year I was pretty set up for disappointment this year. However, all my little sprouts have grown up into awesome healthy plants. Despite all the cold and rain last month and in early June, the tomatoes are approaching knee high and yesterday blooms appeared. Even at their height, I have not yet had to stake them. My peppers are still short, but the recent heat wave has helped them grow about two inches since I took photos ten days ago. The basil has more than doubled in size over the last ten days and my purchased herbs are really producing as well. I'm still jealous of you southern folks with harvests already! Just a few images from last week:

Sweet Basil & Banana pepper 6/16

This is my Paprika pepper plant that I got for a cool $2.50 at an herb fair. In the back you can see my Lime Basil and Sweet Basil that started as seed.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Here are my progress photos. I still can't believe the growth of ten days to these plants. Today my pepper plant has flowered again, but birds or chipmunks are causing havoc to the rest of my pots. I think I'll get an owl stature or some rubber snakes from the store tomorrow to see if that helps.

Paprika pepper with basils in the background

basil!!!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Anubis posted:

"She" planted a bunch of eggs in the container I put her in, so either I have a million hornworm eggs in my garden or I grabbed her just in time...

The caterpillars don't lay eggs, just the moths. What do the "eggs" look like?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I kept one a few summers ago in the hopes of having a hawkwing moth to examine. All the worm did was crap like it was getting paid to do so. When the moth emerged in the spring it was all deformed(I think it was a moisture issue). I always keep an eye out for them to try again, but haven't seen one since.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

toenut posted:

My celery is still barely coming out of the ground after two months, so you are way ahead of mine. I've never done celery before, so I don't know what to expect.

Also, I must have missed one zucchini when I harvested this weekend because today I found this one that has grown to an epic size.

My grandmother never used to pick them until they were that size or larger because it was great for double-batches of zucchini bread. I have to pay extra at farmers markets to get anything half that size, so now my mom plants them for me in her garden. Last year we spent a Saturday making about 16 loaves of zucchini bread.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

kalicki posted:

Anyone do much indoor gardening? Moving from a house in Florida with a year round garden outside to an apartment in DC with no south facing window is a bit of a difference, but I'd still like to have some fresh stuff.

Currently thinking of getting a planter or two with a fluorescent grow light of some kind for some herbs and greens.

Probably basil, thyme, maybe parsley or cilantro, whatever, I can figure that out.

About the greens though, any recommendations on what works well indoors, and preferably can be harvested continuously, and doesn't grow too big? Of course, also has to taste good, I don't want to waste my time on anything even close to iceberg lettuce. Thanks.

I bought a smallish(~6") rosemary plant from Lowes last year on the cheap, and it has maybe grown another five inches at most. For the better part of the year I have to keep it inside , and while my windows face south, there is a building fifteen feet away that is just as tall and limits the amount of light I get each day.

Also, if you can get a deal on the Aerogarden I'd suggest buying one. I got one for Christmas that kept me in basil, oregano and thyme until I could get my seedlings planted outdoors.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I'm jealous coyo7e. I wish I could grow a larger shrub of rosemary, but I'm in Wisconsin, in an apartment. It dies if left out in winter in a container :( I think next year I'm planting some in my mothers garden before she has a chance to say no!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Mr-Spain posted:

Can someone ID my bush and the tons of berries I got off of it? For a little background, the house was prevously owned by an arabian dude and there is a loquat tree and mint everywhere. There's this bush about 8' tall with shiny leaves and fruit about 1-2 inches across. Here's some photos.

Click here for the full 507x676 image.

Click here for the full 507x676 image.

Those fruit look like crab apples.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

My mom gave me some seed starting sponges for my bio-dome, like these, that were left over from last year. The only problem is that some have mold spots on them. Can I just soak them all in a diluted bleach solution to kill the mold and then use them safely for planting? I'd like to start my seeds soon and the sponges are out of stock online.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

kid sinister posted:

You mean follow the instructions on that page for disinfection? Yeah, I'd go with that.

Wow, I never thought to read the page I linked :rolleyes:

Clearly it says the styrofoam block is supposed to be disinfected (and thoroughly dried) before use. The sponges are supposed to be soaked in clean water. What I wanted to know is if the same will be enough to kill off the mold on the sponges because I don't want to worry about it harming my seedlings later.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

It's not too late for many herbs and veggies. I started at this time last year and still had a bumper crop of peppers, tomatoes, basil and a bunch of other herbs. I put the plants in the ground a little later than I like, but it was so cold last May that it really didn't matter that nothing went in until it was almost June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

KariOhki posted:

And tomatoes:

I'm guessing since they're so tall that I should transplant them deeper, but that has to wait until tomorrow because I'm out of pots and dirt. Any other tips?

You really can't keep tomato plants in clusters like that or they can tangle and grow crooked. Also, each one should end up in a container that holds at least 2 gallons of dirt. I usually grow mine in 5+ gallon pots just so they don't topple over.