Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
I built a full garden last summer and wasn't happy enough with the yield I got. Honestly I don't feel it was worth it and probably won't again this year.

It was 8x10 with a path through the middle, watering system and 8 rows.

Onions - never really grew past an inch or so in circumference and they were in the ground for 6 monthes.
Tomatoes - turned out great.
Peppers - were great.
Cabbage - never fully grew and was getting dominated by caterpillars.
Jalapenos - Didn't use enough of them to warrant 4 plants.
Iceburg Lettuce - Rotted too fast for us to get a good yield.We used 2 plants and by that time the others were mucky.
Romaine Lettuce - Almost grew TOO fast for us, we should have just cut off at the root instead of pulling off leaves.
Peas - Didn't see a single sprout, too much watering maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Alright folks - we are ready to rock! Just have to wait for the local garden centers to get their vegetable stock in.

My pitiful fence lives to see another year :)

This years improvements include a very nice 1x6 border along the bottom edge of the garden which should keep everything tucked in this year as well as a fancy pants hanging pot my wife decided to make. I think it looks much more homey this year and less "here's my gently caress off garden with PLANTTTTTTTTS"

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Does anyone have any thoughts on berms vs mounds vs flat?

Last year I did rows of berms and it worked decent for some things, but for others I found the root systems outgrew the berms and growth was dwarfed because of it.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Anyone have any non-pesticidal methods for killing slugs? I've tried beer in a tin pan and it only got 3 or 4. I'm talking 20-30 per night infesting my gardens last year and I want to be proactive this year.

It's common for our entire town to have slugs, they lurv the soil.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

HeatherChandler posted:

Slugs are a nightmare, something I won't miss about England. They were the only thing I resorted to chemicals for.

Still, things to try:

-Make plastic collars out of old water bottles

I like this idea but can't they just go up and over?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Welp, we are planted. I'm very nervous about planting before May 24th weekend but I just couldn't help myself...

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Ignore the mega long grass - waiting for some other parts of the backyard to grow before I cut!

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

krushgroove posted:

I like the chevron shape of the rows and the flowers around the edge :)

Watch out for those dandelions, I have a love/hate thing with those yellow flowers!

Don't worry, I just hand picked about 100 dandelions out of our front yard which now looks immaculate. A few around the garden have got nothing on me.

Updated pictures after a Work from Home day:

What I am hoping is that the cherry tomato plants I put next to the fence in the foreground of picture two will grow up into it, I'm not sure if they work that way, but it's worth a shot.

I also moved the giant chive plant we put in last year to a more suitable location in the "herb corner". He is very happy now :)

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 6, 2009

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Monocular posted:

MarshallX, I noticed you planted your rows diagonally. Is there any specific reason for this (like can you fit more plants in a smaller area) or is a purely aesthetic thing? I was just wondering because I have a similarly sized garden and was wondering if I should do the same thing.

Not at all, I just thought it would look cool :P

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Noooooooooooooooooooo. Frost :(

I hope my little guys are OK.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Anubis posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the weather's problem is but we are hitting down to or below 50 pretty much every day for the next 10. My peppers are going to be severely stunted.

The worst part is my fiance was adamant for me not to plant 2 weeks early (To wait until May 24th) but I insisted that the frost was done for the year.

Oh how I will never hear the end of this.

I went out about an hour after the frost, but before the sun came up and my tomato plants looked pretty sad.

Hopefully the sun perks them up again.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Oh my god it is carnage....12 of my 16 tomato plants look to be dead or on their way to being dead....4 pepper plants are the same. Everything else seems to have survived.

:angry: :angry: :angry: FROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :angry: :angry: :angry:

What are my chances of saving these guys? Any advice?

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 12, 2009

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

HeatherChandler posted:

MarshallX: I know this doesn't help you now, but next time there is a chance of frost just cover them. Empty 2 liters with the bottom cut off work well, so do milk jugs. Or, just anything you have around the house, buckets, cardboard boxes with a brick on top, etc.

Can't say for sure if they will live, but if they do you might want to pinch off any blossoms until they look like they've fully recovered, so they can devote their sugar production to rebuilding foliage. If they have any large suckers yet (stems in the armpits) you can cut them and reroot them in very moist soil if you don't think the whole plant will survive. I hope you didn't start from seed, I'd be heartbroken.

Unfortunately it was too many plants for us to cover and I was being naive thinking there would be no frost.

They are not looking too good, thankfully we don't go from seedlings but from the tray when they are ~3 inches tall. I honestly put them in a week ago (My post about planting is literally one page back).

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
I'm glad you guys have survivors...I lost all of my 12 tomato plants and 12 pepper plants including cayenne, jalapeno and bell pepper.

:sigh:

Guess it's time for a visit to the nursery....though I won't be planting for 2 weeks, no way no how am I going to put them in and have another frost.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Would you guys say I am OK to replant this weekend? I'm near Detroit.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
All the rain in Ontario today has put at least 3 inches on most of my plants.

Broccoli is already 2 feet tall!

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

-They might be a bush variety of tomatoes instead of a vine one
-Tomatoes don't really get that tall. They don't climb like creepers.

Do cherry tomatos do this? I planted some along my gardens small fence for this exact reason, hopefully I didn't make a mistake.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Can someone explain to me in dumb mans terms how a drip system works? I put in a sprinker system last year which my dog ended up eating. I was planning on hand watering this year but if a drip system can be contained within my fence (sprinklers couldn't) then it may be an option.

Do you need one drip spout for each plant??

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
My stupid 90lb Chocolate Lab ate the 4 heads off my beautiful Broccoli :(

Jumped a 3 foot fence to get at them, apparently they smelled really good.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Update:

Everything coming along nicely, apart from the broccoli my Lab decided to have for lunch. I think I'm way too close together with my tomatoes but oh well. My pepper plants are taking a while to get large, but that happened last year as well.

My celery is looking STUNNING!

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

kid sinister posted:

Anything short of a complete break will not phase a tomato plant. They are ridiculously tough.

For the record, my dad and I have had tomatoes top out our 6 foot cages before, lop over the sides and touch the ground again.

That is absolutely insane...I thought my 4 foot plants were tall! Albeit my garden is only 8x10 and has way too many plants in it, so they look bigger than they actually are...

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Anyone know why my celery plants seem to have stopped growing and look half the size of those I buy in the grocery store? I think they might be biennial so that the second year is when I get good size and the first year won't yield very large crop.

Any ideas?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Does anyone have any advice when to harvest peppers?

I have Chili, Jalapeno and Bell peppers and they all look great, but they don't seem to be ripe yet. Unfortunately, they are getting black marks on them like previously mentioned. (My chili's are still green :()

I'm not sure what to do!

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Oh god oh god oh god our tomatoes are all getting ripe and we don't know what to do with all of them now!

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
The sun is shining up here in Canada.

It's almost time!!

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
It's ready! New fence this year (plus a whole new back yard basically)

Come on May 24th weekend.

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 19, 2010

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

mugrim posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but considering how little light seems to be getting there in the picture, do you think you have enough sunlight between the houses shadow, the fences thickness, and the lining fences? They seem like they would create this sunless patch.

Thus far I've cheated and used those jiffy pots for my tomatoes. I never realized how much they improve germination, but sadly now I've got way more plants than I intended.

Yeah, this is really early in the morning. The sun comes up over the house behind me and that spot gets full sunlight for 10+ hours a day. Actually you can see the peak of my house on the fence, about another hour and its full sunlight (7AM) to about 5PM when it dips behind the fence. Last year I had a fence that was less area and my leaves got alot of sun burn, I'm hoping more protection will prevent that this year.

It works out great, I pulled 100+ tomatoes off my 12 plants last year, as well as 30+ peppers.

Unfortunately I have a huge Slug problem and everything I've tried has failed to get rid of them.

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 19, 2010

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Richard Noggin posted:

Have you tried a ring of diatomaceous earth around the plant, or around the planting area in general?

Wonder where I could find that. Time to visit the local garden shop.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Costello Jello posted:

If you don't want to do something pretty and permanent like MarshallX's picket fence, there's always the old standard chicken-wire and some stakes, up only when you need it. You can roll it up around a tomato stand and store it somewhere out of sight when you don't need it.

This is what I used for the past 2 years. 1x2 pressure treated built into a vague fence shape and wrapped in chicken wire.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
There was frost on the ground this morning.

Frost!

I hate my life.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
It's Ontario planting week!!

my wife and I will be planting our garden Wednesday night, pictures to follow.

Lots of work to do :(

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
And thus began the 2010 battle of the slugs.

I swear to god these things are the bane of my existence.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

A few words of advice for you, my fellow slug hater.
-Tesco value lager in ice cream tubs. Drown them to hell.
-Slug killer that's certified for organic use? Hell yes. I don't know if you can get this where you are, but it's a lifesaver for me in soggy old England: Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer. I have a wildlife friendly garden and since using this the amount of birds and hedgehogs in my garden has actually increased.
-Hit them hard and hit them fast. I put beer traps and pellets out a week before I sowed any seeds or planted anything out. Kill them at the start of spring before their numbers have a chance to grow.

I spread out 1/4 of a bag of Slug-B-gone which is Organic slug killer. Hopefully that takes care of it.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
This rain my have pooched my 2010 garden :(

Been raining almost daily for 2 weeks, my plants are looking pretty wilted.

I gave them all a shot of fertilizer yesterday in hopes to revive them

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Odd behavior this year from my garden. My tomato plants aren't even as high as the cages and are already started to flower. My pepper plants aren't even a foot tall and are already started as well, a few small peppers started as well.

I think my soil might be too hard, I planted in the raid and I have a feeling it screwed me.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

mischief posted:

Have you changed the levels of nutrients in the garden? Higher nitrogen levels, if I'm not mistaken, would lead the plants to focus more on setting fruit than getting taller. I keep a pretty high amount of nitrogen in my garden and my tomatoes rarely get taller than about 5' but are weighed down with tomatoes.

5 FEET? Hah. Mine aren't even 2!

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
This is so bizarre.

All of my tomato plants are still only 1 foot off the ground after heavy watering all weekend due to some crazy canadian heat.

Some of them already have tomatoes 1 inch in diameter. Is there anything wrong with this?

I know what the issue is, we planted in the rain so the soil was like mud. Once the water dried up it's basically rock hard soil around all my plants and their root growth has been stunted, causing them not to be able to grow up anymore. I'm just surprised they are still growing fruit.

100% my fault for trying to rush to get my plants out in the middle of a rain storm.

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 5, 2010

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

Are you sure they're vine varieties of tomato and not bush ones? There's nothing wrong with having a compact plant if you're getting tomatoes off it.

They are just so small, I know there is definitely something wrong, just hoping we can get SOMETHING from the garden this year. I won't make the mistake of planting in the pouring rain next year.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
My garden this year is a complete failure due to terrible soil conditioning. I was lazy, it's my fault.

I only have 3 or 4 tomatoes actively growing and nothing else.

:(

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
I need some clay advice, I've had a garden for four years now and every year I am out there again hand breaking up clay. Last night it was 4 hours, 3.2cf of Peat Moss, 4 bags of sand, 8 bags of soil and still I have chunks of clay the size of my fist (which are now coated in peat/sand so they don't reform)

Best way to break it up apart from a rototiller?

Here are some pictures of the yard as of yesterday:

They call me the Cedar Tree Murderer (Everything in the yard is cedar, mulch, deck, chairs, fence, planters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Also chiming into the "stunted growth crew". Other than my Romaine that is.

I executed Operation Garden Revival today...deweeded, fertilized with two different types of fertilizer and put an entire bucket of sawdust onto the soil as organic matter in an attempt to rejuvinate the garden.

I also asked my wife to water daily.