Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Late first freeze this year. I grew a poo poo ton of jalapeños and they are still happily growing in a frenzy since the weather cooled off. I guess I’ll be eating a few hundred jalapeño poppers in the coming weeks since I only have one potted plant to move inside and the rest are soon to die.

I find the listed scoville range of jalapeños laughable. I have eaten jalapeños that had zero heat whatsoever, definitely below 2,500, and I have had a few jalapeños this year that were literally hotter than any whole mature habanero I have ever eaten. Like throat burning and nose running heat from just jalapeños. Granted I’ve only eaten whole raw habaneros like six times in my life, but even if they were lower end on heat that’s still way outside the ~8000 max SHU you see attributed to jalapeño.

Also: man, I love the stuff posted in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I got mine from an old farmer and they are consistently hot except the mutants growing at the bottom of one particular plant, which are lava

Going all in on New Mexico chile next year; heritage varieties for green and Chimayo heritage to ripen into red chile

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I want all the drupes grafted together

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Ghost peppers aren’t as bad as some, but I don’t like the smoky undertones in the flavor of most super hot chinense species so I don’t grow them. I have eaten them for the fun of trying them out though. I do like habanero flavor and a local grower had a weird mutt of a chinense that was delicious and had all the fruitiness without the death or smoke.

I wish I had a better garden overall this year but it flooded all Spring and I think the soil micro biome got screwed up. Still pretty ok and my peppers in particular didn’t care at all

e: I think maybe the peppers did better because their soil was amended more with my chicken poop and plant material compost, which has a great-smelling culture

freeedr fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 20, 2023

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Discussion Quorum posted:

My poor peppers are in a state. It was too hot until a couple weeks ago for there to be any real chance of setting fruit. I had dozens and dozens of dropped blooms all summer. Now that it has cooled a bit, they are getting absolutely murderfucked by aphids. I'll get a few freaky stubby and deformed golden cayennes, but my habanero is likely going to finish the season having produced precisely squat.

I played these odds when I tried to introduce my extremely spice-averse wife to shishito peppers. She rolled a natural 1.

Oh well, more for me!

I thought I would get nothing when it was 105 every day. I considered putting up shade cloth, but decided to see how they would do with nothing except twice-a-day watering plus later afternoon shade and they did great. Had peppers harvested at the start of July through now.

Aphids attacked my pumpkins though. In my other yard

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My strawberries survived such a brutal winter but didn’t recover well from flooding this year. Only sparse, small fruits this time. I don’t think they will survive this winter.

Plus side of flooding was the thousands of mushrooms we had all Spring!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

All mine had was a bed of leaves. Honestly didn’t expect them to make it. They had snow piled on them a couple of times but not as bad as most areas because their location made the snow drift away from them, so that probably helped. They were in a half-barrel planter.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Annath posted:

Question, unrelated to cherry seeds:

I have a couple of chili pepper plants on my balcony. It's starting to get cooler, and 3 of them have started to die off. However, one is still going strong.

I'd like to keep it if possible, but it'd have to come inside - it gets much too cold in the winter to remain outdoors.

My question is, are indoor lights sufficient to keep it alive through the winter? Or would I need to get a proper grow light?

I have to keep the plant on a tall shelf, because I have 2 cats who have made a valiant effort in the past to kill themselves devouring pepper plant leaves. The shelf in question is not close enough to a window to be effective in that regard.

It needs a proper grow light at a proper distance for a reasonable amount of time each day. Some also worry about bugs coming in with outdoor plants but I’ve never had that problem. In spring if it’s still going strong after the last frost you should slowly reintroduce it to full sun outside progressively over a few days.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I use an old leftover smart LED that you can set to grow light (or any other colors) wavelengths but the other LEDs I have definitely don’t work so I just think it’s the safer option to have something that tells you it’s got the right wavelengths to interact with chlorophyll. Maybe I just have lovely bulbs but my garden center also sells grow lights for $5 a bulb by their indoor plant display and they have plants growing under them on display so if I needed a new one that’s how I’d go.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Hard freezes coming. Harvest time for me tomorrow.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

You can indeed always add beds. I have one special raised bed far, far away from everything else.

This is where mint is quarantined.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Harvested the jalapeños I won’t be able to bring in before the hard freeze. I tried to eat all I could in the past few weeks but still ended up with 67 pods brought in today and another thirty on the potted plant I’m keeping over winter. Guess I’ll find people who want some or I’ll make a mash this week.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Qubee posted:

I'm having such a hard time stopping my plants from dying and I have no idea what it is.

Is it spider mites? I've been spraying the plant religiously (both the tops and undersides of the leaves) with a soapy solution daily to kill any of the spider mites. It doesn't work. I've already lost an entire plant to it. This other plant has been slowly dying for weeks, despite my best efforts. The tips go brown and then the entire leaves go brown and it dies.

Any advice?

Have you tried neem oil? It has worked on any pests I have had. Don’t know about your pests in particular.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

No hot ones left, but I’m still getting dozens of jalapeños off of the one big plant I brought in for winter.

10 days worth

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My compost is leaves + kitchen scraps + chicken manure + a small amount of last batch’s compost. Gets nice and warm and earthy no problem so I’ve never looked into it in any more depth.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Man. I gotta get somewhere more temperate. A winter only getting down to 20 or 25 briefly sounds delightful.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My grandson says “compost” the English way, accent and all, because that’s how he heard it on some video series. He just cuts to a different dialect for one specific word and continues being adorable

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I too have ESP

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

adeadcrab posted:

Birdie’s have a new version of their garden beds out. Not available in Australia yet but you can get them in the USA

drat. Ditched their home country for a bigger market.

I had a tall Birdies raised bed at my previous house and I loved it. Had no trouble at all except for wishing I had more of them

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I never have trouble just germinating on top of the refrigerator where it is warm. Not that I’m saying that’s best practice or anything.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I underestimated how prolific gladiolus are. They were a favorite of a family member that passed away, so we tossed a row of about 40 corms in a flower bed two years ago. We didn’t really tend to them. They caught the edge of the garden sprinklers’ range and we didn’t have to actively water. Didn’t even fertilize. They grew great. I went to move one of them today to plant something else in its place and

There were scores more of the smaller bulbs all mixed in the soil too. I apparently have 40 bundles of a million gladiolus corms in my garden. This is why local greenhouses say they are too cheap and unprofitable to sell. Still taken aback here

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Is that henbit? I know what I’d do with it.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m not an expert at this whole thing; I just like growing plants. But one thing I’ve found and loved is composting all of my dry leaves, some vegetal kitchen scraps, etc for the next year. I have prepped my whole garden this year with my own compost with more leftover, plus mulch from my own yard. Mulch is super important. Having my own compost makes it very cheap to add organic nutrients to my soil and revitalize my garden every year.

Of course, I also have the benefit of having my own chickens, giving me chicken manure and egg shells for my compost, which seems to really supercharge it. My garden took off after I got chickens.

Like others said, just enjoy it and try to be zen about it even when things don’t work out. Lessons learned for next time. You’ll probably be completely hooked once you start getting some good harvests.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

So damned ready for the soil to warm up. Every year I think “ha, why was I so restless last year” and then I get progressively more jittery with anticipation until new plants start hitting the garden in earnest. It’s like releasing a held breath.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Step 1: seed too many trays so you can thin down to just the plants you need

Step 2: expand your garden and plant all of the seedlings anyway

Step 3: expand even more and plant even more :shepface:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’ve never grown strawberries year round, but I have gotten three big harvests in one year. I wouldn’t mind seeing how long a plant would last if the days never got short

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I have it in a raised bed made of bricks. It is contained, but it even worked its way between the bricks to grow out of the sides. It is far from any other beds and surrounded by thick turf for containment. I love having it though, and my daughters like a mint leaf in their tea occasionally, and if you really want to take the pains for the sake of doing it you can extract your own peppermint oil and make candy.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Justa Dandelion posted:

How's everybody's garden going so far?

It’s always difficult to wait. Want to get these baby plants in the ground

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Justa Dandelion posted:

When's your last frost date?

My dude if you are able to divine that for me you are better than all the combined science of meteorology ever, because it’s extremely variable here.

But it’s listed in mid-April.

My chile plants will need 55°+ overnights reliably though, or at least I want that for them soon so that I have a decent yield. They are looking beautiful, but I don’t have the indoor facilities to pot them up again so I have 3 or 4 weeks max here before they end up stunted. Here’s hoping Mother Nature cooperates because we could have frost or 100°+ heat waves in May just as easily as something pleasant.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Bindweed is awful. The amount of effort it took to get rid of it all was immense. One of my coworkers used to be a landscape guy and he didn’t even believe I got rid of it. He would not even believe it was possible.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Trenbolone, testosterone, ghrelin, and cortisol. Bam, done

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Orbs posted:

I never use any devices like murdertubes or whatever in my gardening. The way I see it, if pests manage to get my crops despite my precautions, they deserve to eat them more than me. They were hungrier for it and I respect that.

I should confess. It’s been me eating your garden.

E: but I was indeed very hungry

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Fuckin love composting. It’s like a magic spell that makes earthy, beautiful soil that smells like happiness. Out of leaves and poo poo.

Nice.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My daughter had to take a botany class as part of her degree and didn’t want or appreciate any of it. She didn’t keep enough class material for me to piggy back off of and she threw away all her cuttings the instant each assignment was over.

This made me sad, but to each their own and I love my baby very much

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't know if it's worth trying to actually plant it. Isn't peach rootstock selected for pest and disease resistance, so trying to grow straight from the graft a bad idea?

I for one don’t oppose bad garden ideas

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

It’s happening.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

confused little guy thought he was outdoors

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

I put some strawberry plants in an outdoor planter last week and we're back to near freezing nighttime temps in the coming week. Should I worry? I've never done strawberries before.

I can drag the planter into the shed I guess.

Hmm. Yours might be more sensitive as babies trying to get established, but my strawberry plants survive some pretty severe overwintering no problem so I’d hope they were fine. They do always stop producing fruit for some time after they freeze. I also wouldn’t be sure re: different varieties of strawberry. Mine are some sort of everbearing. Though I do cover mine with leaves when it’s getting super frozen. Overall pretty hardy to a chill though.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Hoping the peppers I get do well this year! 🤞

I’m hoping this for you as well. I am growing shishito, jalapeño, and New Mexico chile (Big Jim and Chimayo heritage). I may throw in a habanero or cayenne or something for variety if I find an already-started one at the garden center.

I love growing peppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

How deep do most plants beed their roots to go? Any that work well in shallow soil? I have spots where I only have maybe six inches of dirt before hitting solid rock and am wondering if theres anything that will grow there. Might end up creating raised beds just so I can add more dirt since Im guessing thats not enough

I’ve grown lots of herbs, lettuce, green onion, garlic in a very small bit long window planter that hangs on my shed