Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I want to grow dill outside, in zone 7a, starting now (temperatures are already hitting 90F). Do I have any hope?

I have parts of my yard that are full sun, and parts that are shaded in the morning/afternoon.

I was hoping to grow it in a 5 gallon bucket. I could get some food-safe ones if leaching is an issue.

I also see stuff about hot temperature and bolting. Would a planter bag be better for my awful summer climate to keep the plants from overheating? ( I know I need to pick something at least 12“ deep for the taproot, which seems to mean at least a 10 gallon bag.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Jhet posted:

You can try using some shade cloth. The bucket or planting bag would each work just fine, just be sure to drill enough holes for drainage in the bucket. The most important time to shade will be in the afternoon, so anything you can do to keep the air flowing and the sun from baking it will help. Putting it in the morning sun and then maybe using shade cloth too might help you get your dill. Or it might bolt anyway. Sometimes plants just do what they want anyway.

Thanks! Hopefully I can get some afternoon shade worked out for it to give it a fighting chance.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
This morning I went out to check on my dill seedlings and the true leaves had fallen off most of them. Googling tells me this is probably damping off, which makes sense since we've had an unusually wet and cool couple of weeks.

So: what do I do next? Wait for them all to die, then try again? It looks like I need to completely dump out my current bucket of soil, wash it, and start fresh with a new batch of soil. Does that sound correct?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

i am harry posted:

I doubt you need to wash it if it’s just overly wet soil in a container; the seedlings may have drowned but you can just turn the soil over in the container for a couple days to dry it out and replant.
If I were to do that to the soil, I’d use a spoon to scoop the plans out first and put them in tiny pots or plastic containers like cherry tomatoes or raspberries come in to see if they still want to live.

I don't know, about half of them had that really thin section at the base of the stem. :ohdear:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Welp, I'm not going to worry about damping off for my remaining seedlings, although I will read a little more and adjust some stuff in my bucket.

I went outside to view my remaining seedlings, wondering who survived the night with their leaves intact. Instead, I found this:

A completely empty bucket! No leaf debris at all, no fallen-over stems, nothing. Except...

One very satisfied caterpillar making its way out of my bucket.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

i am harry posted:

Ah well, you might be better off starting them inside on a window sill. It’s really amazing how big a plant can get in a small pot and my plan next year is to keep all of mine in very small containers until they’re bursting, rather than put them into large containers when they’re small because this sort of thing seems to happen more often, especially what you mentioned about the stems shriveling.

Dill's not a good transplanter from what I read due to its long taproot, but you can be darn sure my basil is starting indoors next year. I know that'll survive a transplant.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
If you mostly neglect and don't ever re-pot the bell pepper seedlings a friend leaves on your porch, you get tiny (yet delicious) fruit!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I'm trying to grow dill again this summer! I've been trying since April, actually, but the weather has not cooperated, and when it has, something seems to be eating the seeds and sprouts. (We've got multiple bird nests this year and I suspect some of them.)

Anyway! After 4 days of sun and 4 days of unrelenting rainfall, I finally got some uneaten sprouts this week. I also got a nice batch of inky cap mushrooms (coprinellus setulosi per an ID website). Makes me think I should try to grow edible mushrooms instead of herbs.

They look so pretty that I don't mind leaving them, but will they impact my dill in a negative way? (I know not to eat the mushrooms.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I use an old cooler. It isn't great at UV resistance but it is a nice tight closure.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My basil has loved the heat and is taking off!

My dill, though. :sigh:

About half the seeds sprouted, about half of those were able to put out real leaves, and about half of those are still alive but stunted. One of them made a second real leaf, so I am hopeful it might not perish soon.

Shade cloth is only doing so much when we get summer temps a month early. Might have to try these again mid-September.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
That's why I love dill season. Oh, no, I need to get rid of a tasty little seedling? Don't mind if I do! :yum:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I am late getting my garden started (again)! This year I'm growing dill, basil (whether I wanted to or not), and cucumbers.

I went outside to sow my seeds, and found last year's basil bucket had several volunteer sprouts this morning! I guess I'm only a week off of nature this year.
I thoroughly rehabbed and mixed up that soil in the basil bucket last weekend, too, so last year's plants must have made a ton of seeds to get any distributed at the top like that.

Dill is starting from scratch because I always start it too late and it never gets big enough to do anything but make small sad flower heads and die off in a month from the heat. (I'm setting a reminder next year to sow it much earlier.)

My cucumber seeds have been lost in the mail for a good two weeks; I'm getting more sent so I can maybe get them in the soil before it's too hot. Just have to hope El Niño cooperates this summer.

I'll be growing Spacemaster 80 bush cucumbers in a 5 gallon bucket. I have picked up the cheapest tomato cage from Lowe's to give it something to climb. If they grow at all I'll get a sturdier trellis situation going for the next round.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I've finally got my cucumber seeds! Spacemaster 80, so we'll see how they do in a 5-gallon bucket with Lowe's Cheapest Tomato Cage as a trellis.

Just realized I've got two varieties of dill, and two of basil all in like 20 square feet... so there'll probably be some cross-pollinating. That's OK. I don't mind ordering seeds for the varieties I like best next year. And any hybrid volunteers are welcome to give it a shot.

I probably won't get my dill growing in enough time for cross-pollination to really matter before they succumb to the heat, but I will think positive thoughts at them.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Quick question: We're about to get slammed with 2" of rain. I have some very new just sprouted dill, basil, and cucumber seedlings coming up in my planters.

Is it a good idea to put them under the eaves where they are mostly sheltered from the deluge? Or will those little things be ok with all that water in a 24 hr period? (The buckets are good drainers, at least. )

I moved them there for the hail last night and was going to move them back to their sunnier spots, but realized I might need to move them back again tonight.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
All my buckets have finally sprouted!

I also seem to have a basil sprout in the Dukat dill. I am not surprised. Those basil seeds get everywhere.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Got a tricotyledon sprout in my Emerald Towers basil! I know it means nothing much for the plant, but I'll pretend it's like a 4-leaf clover.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

sterster posted:

Crossposting

Turned this home grown golden boys. Into a grilled chicken and beets, mixed green salad with some orange supremes, candied pecans, goat cheese, drizzle of honey, and topped with some micro greens, dressing is balsamic and olive oil.

Looks tasty. I think I want to plant beets this fall in my buckets-- maybe even two kinds, one for the greens and ones for the actual beets. I love beet greens roasted or done up like kale chips.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Joburg posted:

I added pumpkin to some goat curry last winter and it was really good. Some pumpkin would probably do ok in a chili too.

Mostly it gets used in pumpkin bread or fed to my chickens and goats.

Pumpkin puree in chili is a delicious way to add some depth and thicken it up. Highly recommend.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My cucumber plant is making poor choices!

I'll snip that stalk for lunch today to save us all some trouble later on.

5 dill plants is definitely too many for a 5 gallon bucket, right? Maybe I should just take that plant entirely for tasty sour cream dip.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I agree: I suggest trying some quick fridge pickles with the dill (cucumbers are classic) and making dip with the rest. Fresh dill is a very delicate flavor and doesn't dry well.

Look up "hardening off" for the tomato. It might do great, but it's going to need some help.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Know anyone who does laser etching or engraving? Maybe one of those trophy places can engrave a little plaque. That would be your best bet for permanent marking.

I've had decent luck with an oil-based paint pen on a rough plastic surface, but it probably isn't going to last more than 2 years.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I picked my first cucumber! I picked it early because somehow it expanded extremely fast while I was at work and half-snapped the vine it was on. I re-routed the other developing cucumbers for better support.

This is a sweet and tasty cucumber! I'll plant multiple Spacemaster 80 plants next year and will try to have plenty for pickling ready at once.

Assuming I can get my raised bed in place, that is. And the hail talk has made me grateful that I can just move these buckets whenever severe hail or derechos threaten.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Jhet posted:

I left my mustard greens to go to flower/seed, but the aphids had a different idea. I’ve never seen so many in one place. They had completely covered the flowers and would wiggle in unison like an evil brass band full of trombonists.

Amazing description

Oh hey, would everyone like to see what a cucumber looks like if it isn't fully pollinated?

It's really funny how that chin grew out like a Habsburg king's.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Could be, I've had to go to twice a day watering with the drought and heat, but there were no seeds in the smaller part too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Oh yes I am very excited for another couple of those pickling ones to be ready in a day or so. I've got Plans.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

On a brighter note today was my first significant daily haul of tomato(ill)os:

Two cherry plants are already making a pint a day, and my Momotaros are loaded down with beautiful big green fruit. My failures of last year are forgotten and everything is joy.

On a side note, I thought I would get a bigger batch-like harvest from my tomatillos, for salsa. Does anybody have any recommendations for using them in other ways? I know I could stirfry or make chile verde but any other good ideas?

Avocado & tomatillo dip/sauce. Basically guac without the onions and using tomatillos instead of tomatoes.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

MasterBuilder posted:

Drying habaneros is just for long term storage right? The plant I'm growing on my front porch has shot up since I put it in a larger pot and the flowers are just starting to come in.

Yes-- dry peppers (bell, habanero, whatever) for long-term storage if you have a good enough harvest to not eat all at once (or don't want to pickle/hot sauce/ferment etc).

Just have adequate ventilation and PPE! Indoors is not recommended for hot peppers, as you're seeing in this thread.

Speaking of drying the harvest for storage, my Dukat dill is starting to give me seeds! And also the second wave of swallowtails found my plants-- but that's why I have multiple buckets of them. I've got 3 eating away at my 6 plants right now. The Dwarf Fernleaf wasn't a good sprouter and I'd like to save some seeds from adapted plants for next year, but we'll see if I have any left for me. :ohdear:

The lush plant next to the dill is Everleaf Emerald Towers basil. It's tasty, loves the heat, and grows extremely compactly. I very much recommend it for containers or small spaces!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Roast turnips. They get very tasty.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Propagated some delicious mint cuttings from a friend and have now potted them up. These have about 2 inches of roots, plus I picked a few more leaves off and buried the stems in case that works better for them. We'll see if any survive! Mint is unkillable, right?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

you ate my cat posted:

That was my experience with my potted mint last year, but this year it started strong and now looks terrible. I've tried more water, less water, fertilizer, cutting it back, and nothing has really helped. I thought it might be mint rust, but I don't feel like it looks like the photos I've found. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I think the first image undersells how bad it is. Almost every leaf has some sort of browning on it.

Hard to tell from the perspective but that looks like a lot of plant for that pot. I'd cut it back or remove some of them and see if that helps.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I accidentally made a big leaf mould pit with the leaves from our 7 red oaks over the years. They need about 2 years to decompose into something useful if you don't do anything else to them. They're very tough leaves!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
3 weeks of 100F temperatures and ants farming aphids have finally finished off my cucumber plant. I got 6 prolific weeks of tasty sweet cucumbers, and then a few weeks of sort-of bitter cucumbers less often as our temps soared well above average, and then finally nothing as the plant just tried to survive. Overall I'm happy with it and will be planting Spacemaster 80 again next year.

At least culling it a bit earlier than I wanted means I'll be able to solarize the soil in plenty of time to plant my fall crops!

Assuming it ever gets cold enough for them. :sigh:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Seconding Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

I've also had good luck with Botanical Interests, though orders have taken a little longer to get shipped than in the past while they work out the kinks. That's where I got my tasty and still-not-bolted Everleaf Emerald Towers Basil.

Seed Geeks has been good for herbs too. I like to go for sellers with a roughly similar climate.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Do any of these online seed sellers stock gmo seeds? Heirlooms are awesome, and I'm not talking about Monsanto poo poo, but I'd like to support some honest - better veggies through modern genetic manipulation - that most places I've seen are way against.

I think you'll have to look at commercial agriculture suppliers for GMO stuff. The home gardener market is so set against it they aren't really available.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The weather service thinks we are FINALLY through with the 100°F temperatures!! I have planted my beets (Early Wonder, Touchstone Gold) and carrots (Danvers 126). I have about 7 weeks before the average first frost date, but since these are all in 5-gallon buckets I can bring them indoors overnight to avoid those and extend my growing season a bit.

The carrots went into basil bucket soil and I expect I will get stumpy carrots out of it, though I did try to break up the roots. The beets I am less worried about-- the dill buckets left their soil very nicely textured. Even so, I'm hoping for lots of greens, and if I get good roots it'll be a bonus.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(record scratch)

Found that while trying to remember the name of a plant. It has drooping blue flowers, silvery foliage, maybe has "honey" somewhere in the name, self-seeds like mad. Anybody got thoughts?

e: Found it! The lovely Cerinthe major purpurascens, aka "Blue Honeywort". I highly recommend it; it's tough, blooms a lot of the summer, and self-seeds without being annoying.

Oh, that's very pretty!

My beets have sprouted! It's pretty cool to see that the Touchstone Gold beets don't have any red to their sprouts.

The dill sprouts are accidental and will be consumed once the first full leaves are in. (Dill really is a prolific self-seeder!)

Touchstone Gold:

Early Wonder:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Any of my fellow northern hemisphere types interested in producing and reading year-in-review posts? I'm going to do an effortpost later today or tomorrow about the potato growing method that I'm retiring after 5 years, but I couldn't resist the urge to post something now and bump the thread.

Yes :justpost:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I did not have the "too many" problem with my beets. I was hoping to pickle some but that'll have to come next year.

Don't start your fall crops too late: these guys needed more time & light, but they are the best beets I've ever had.

I turned this mighty harvest of beets into a fancy dinner: roasted balsamic (baby cut) carrots & beetroot, served on a bed of tri-color parmesan couscous, surrounded by crispy beet green chips.

We each got one (1) beet so it is like we ate at a Michelin restaurant.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Make sure you're not throwing nitrogen at the beets; they'll be encouraged to grow leaves instead of roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Not really new, but new to me: Swiss chard. I just love beet greens so much that I figured I might as well try chard. I've got Fordhook Giant (husband's request because it has a cool name) and Ruby Red seeds on their way!

"Giant" or extra large varieties of things tend not to do so well in my area's brutal summer heat, but we'll see how it goes!

Also got a raised bed going this year! I'll do square foot gardening with it. It's a Birdie's tall 6-in-1, resting on the sunny part of my yard (a concrete patio), half filled with old oak wood and random yard detritus to make my wallet a little happier with how much soil it needs.

Still planning on some buckets too: mint, maybe a spring round of carrots since the carrots have loved their bucket this winter.