Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Not sure if I'm hitting the right thread, but I'll try here.

Can somebody recommend some flowers that will grow indoors, without too big of a work investment (as in, I can care for them, but because they're indoors, I can't do much about soil, fertilizer, etc)? I have a huge window here that will provide light pretty much all day.

Or, if it works better, are there any flowers that can't be grown? I'm in California, so it stays fairly moderate, even indoors. Never gets blistering hot, or cold as all gently caress.

What sorts of things should I make sure I have to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

HeatherChandler posted:

Depends on what you want to grow, what kind of look you are going for.

You do have to fertilize houseplants sometimes. You don't really need anything special, I use an old empty water bottle for watering most of the time. Potting soil, pot, plant.

My personal favorite is growing orchids indoor even though people think they are difficult. If you have a bright window that is fine for light, the blooms last ages, and a lot of varieties only like a little water so if you are forgetful they will be ok (mine only died when I went away for a bit and my husband watered them every day thinking he was being helpful, despite my sticky note warnings) They are a PAIN to repot but otherwise there are easy varieties. I think I might have gotten into them simply because most aren't poisonous to cats.

The easist one I can think of is the kalanchoe. A lot of indoor flowers are easy to take care of generally, but once they are out of bloom might need special conditions to get them back into bloom again. Bromeliads and African violets are like that.

I think I'll give Orchids a shot, I've always liked them. Is there anything special I should know before I do it? Are they easy to grow this time of year?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommend me a microgreens growing tray for like a kitchen counter setup. I was thinking some of the 5x5 trays in some sort of larger tray, with a lid, that doesn't look god-awful. Maybe like a 3x2 or 3x3 setup?

It's for a gift, so I can't describe more what I'm looking for, but I'm not looking for one of those "buy our pods/flats and put them in this tray". Looking for something for loose seeds and dirt. Or water? I'm not sure.