Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What (if anything) is wrong with my satsumas? Just noticed some of them are starting to turn and thought I’d try and see if they were sweet yet, and I noticed two of them had some funky looking spots on them. Flesh inside looked (and tasted) fine. Probably nothing, but I remembered reading something from the extension service last year about some new disease in our area (south Alabama).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I harvested real, actual sweet potatoes the other day. Now I realize I have no good way to cure them.
If you drive through south/central Mississippi this time of year, there are people selling them out of the back of pickup trucks for almost free. My local cheap produce place has 25lb bags for like $5 .I've never grown them (except the vine as an ornamental) because curing them seemed complicated.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah I just wanted to give them a shot because it might be fun. Root vegetables in general don't seem worth the effort unless you enjoy growing them or want to try a less common variety. These are Myanmar Purples from Baker Creek.
You should try potato bean/American groundnut for something different. Sow True had some bulbs I think. I’ve never eaten it, but the flowers are pretty, almost like a miniature wisteria, and have a really nice rosewood/sweet pea sort of smell and bloom late summer here when nothing else nice is blooming.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Has anyone done mushroom spawn plugs on Redbud? Cause I just cut down a big one that was going to start causing problems, and now I have about 12 good sized logs of it. I don't think it's a dense enough wood for shitake, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.
No idea, but you could sure try it. Sweetgum and tulip poplar are supposed to be good for growing mushrooms and they are quite soft and not very dense. They also lack much tannin or other rot-resistance in the wood which probably helps.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve never rooted peppers because I don’t grow them, but high humidity and bottom heat really help with rooting. A big clear soda bottle or a plastic grocery bag loosely tented over the cutting and lightly misted once or twice (don’t want it too humid or you get fungus and mold) helps with the humidity, and they make heating pads for rooting or stick the tray on top of a warm appliance.

I’m always tempted to leave too many leaves on herbaceous cuttings, but fewer seems to be better, or you can cut the leaves in half crossways to reduce moisture loss. Cuttings from new growth always seem to root better than older growth that has hardened off. I’ve never saved a cutting once it started going downhill, but it’s worth trying something.

All this reminds me I need to take a million rose cuttings here soon and ignore all my own advice and just stick them in pots outside and see which ones grow come spring because I’m lazy as gently caress.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Lady Demelza posted:

Can anyone suggest why swiss chard would be all floppy and droppy? The seedlings are just over a month old and have always been...horizontal? The internet suggests too high humidity but the spinach and rocket in the same propogator are doing OK.
Seedlings can get leggy if the light is too far away. Moving the grow light closer (like 3"-ish from the tops of the seedlings) might help.

An old hippy I know pets/lightly brushes the tops of his seedling flats a few times a day and claims it helps them stiffen up and keep from getting leggy. He also keeps a small fan on low speed blowing on them for the same reason, and he grows some good seedlings. I wouldn't do the fan unless they're in pellets with their feet wet or somehow irrigated well so they won't dry out.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The bizarre thing about kumquats is that the peel is sweet and delicious and the flesh is bitter, but since they’re bite sized they balance each other out. I squish the insides out and toss them and put the peel in a Manhattan and it is delicious-the bitternes of the pulp get overpowering in a cocktail to me. Or I just eat them whole. I’m definitely in the ‘love them’ camp. I need to get one to go with my satsumas. I saw a picture once of a perfectly manicured hedge of kumquats in France somewhere with fruit on it and it was gorgeous.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Grand Fromage posted:

Cilantro sucks because it doesn't keep growing like other herbs, you have to harvest and replant. I grew it once and it wasn't worth the trouble.
Mine always bolts but then it reseeds itself and I just have cilantro of various ages growing all the time and in random places. My chives and basil tend to do the same. Speaking of invasive, garlic chives will take over whatever pot/box you put them in and I don't think they're nearly as delicious as real chives.

Helith posted:

I’ve got Jalapeño and Habanero chilies, ginger and lemongrass growing on my balcony at the moment. Basil is going great on my kitchen windowsill but the basil seedlings outside got mostly eaten by caterpillars. They’re just about hanging on. My rosemary is looking sorry for itself, it’s alive but it’s shed a lot of leaves so it looks patchy and threadbare.
I’m not the worlds best gardener, but I seem pretty good with rhizomes, ginger and canna lilies are by biggest successes!
I've never grown any edible ginger (at least I don't think I have?) but there are a million cool ornamental ones. Butterfly ginger (Hedychium coronarium) comes in white and pale yellow and smells amazing, almost like gardenias and at least here it is pretty bulletproof. Dies with a frost but comes back all the time. There's a bunch of other Hedychiums that do great here-I've got some that get like 8' tall with big yellow flower spikes and then some that are short and compact with nice foliage and red flowers. All like shade and hot wet summers.

Some of them reproduce themselves kind of oddly-new plants will form in the old flower spike, and you can just pull them off and plant them. I'm not sure if it is just seeds that germinate in there or if it is some sort of vegetative reproduction, but it's kind of cool.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think you just harvested them too soon. Radishes make a nice root in a month, but in my experience growing carrots in a warm climate, they take a lot longer than you think to develop a big root and are highly variable year to year depending on weather. I used to plant mine here on the Gulf Coast late September through October and harvest nice carrots (sometimes) in February. If the weather was reasonably dry, I'd have nice carrots, but too much rain would make the tops of the roots green and the carrots wouldn't be very sweet. Luckily, carrot tops are pretty delicious anyway, as are radish tops.

This is untested theory with regards to carrots, but it seems like fewer, deeper waterings would promote deeper/longer root growth as the roots have to go down deep for water vs. always having plenty of water right at the surface? One or two deep soakings a week vs daily sprinklings-less evaporation that way too.

Carrots are actually biennial. They grow greens quickly, and then need time to spend the next few months storing all their energy in that big root so they can grow flowers next year and make babies and die-we want to eat them right after they've built up that big fat root right at the end of their first growing season.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

And when/if you do actually succeed in growing good carrots, it is incredibly satisfying to pull big fat 8” long carrots out of the ground. Makes you really feel like you’ve grown something special.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The old advice for planting an oak is ‘look up.’ They are long lived trees that will grow to be quite large, so think about what want in 50 years. Don’t plant it right next to the house or under a power line, for instance, and I wouldn’t plant it too close to your garden because tree roots like nice rich garden soil just as much as vegetable roots do. That being said, I think planting a long-lived tree is about the best thing anyone can do for the world and their local community.

They’re super easy to grow but they do need protection for their first few months. I planted a bunch of Chinese chestnuts in pots one year that we’re doing great until the squirrels found them and mowed them down in an afternoon. Make a little chicken wire cage to go over the pots and plant the acorns a few inches deep. White oak acorns sprout in the fall of the year they drop and then put up top growth in the spring-red oak acorns don’t sprout until the spring and benefit from cold stratification (stick them in the fridge for a 3 months) You can probably grow them in 3 gal plastic pots for 2-3 years but then they’re going to need to go in the ground somewhere-give them to you friends!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have any advice on growing garlic on the Gulf coast? We don't have a real winter here and I'm never sure when I'm supposed to plant it or what I'm supposed to do with it. Also is it worth it to try and grow celery?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m fairly cavalier about pesticides/herbicides, but definitely don’t use a systemic insecticide on anything you plan to eat.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kedo posted:

A somewhat on and somewhat off topic question for the thread at large – does anyone know of an existing data architecture for growing most/all edible plants? I've been putzing around with an idea for an interactive project that would require a well organized database of information about how to cultivate plants (ie. when/how to sow, soil types, maintenance tasks, when to harvest, etc.), but I worry my knowledge is limited to the plants I've researched and grown, and that I'm therefore not the right person to design the structure for a database that would also house information for plants that I have not grown which may have drastically different growing requirements.

Right now my current best idea is simply: "learn more about different plants until you do have the knowledge to do this," but I'm curious if there's something that already exists I could use for reference. Even a book would be fine.

Any ideas?

The Southern Living Garden Book is a great general reference book, especially for the SE US. There are other more specific horticultural/agricultural giant reference books for all kinds of different plants, but I'm not aware of a giant digital database (which would be very useful-wikipedia for gardeners?)

Part of the problem is that growing conditions vary so widely across the country/world, that it is hard to say generally how to grow tomatoes or kale. In the hot, humid south, we plant tomatoes about this time of year and have great tomatoes in May and June and then it gets too hot and they stop producing and/or die, whereas in Connecticut they don't even plant them until May. The best time to grow most greens here is in winter, and if you plant them in spring like every garden book written for Massachusetts or England tells you, they bolt in about 2 weeks etc etc.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kedo posted:

Thanks! That's very helpful, I'll check that book out. It looks like my local library might have a copy.

I agree about the issue you identified, I'm not yet entirely sure how to solve it. My theory is that if you can get a user's hardiness zone you could provide them with specific planting/care instructions. However, how does one structure the data to do that? Should planting time be relative to last/first frost dates? In your case it sounds like that wouldn't really be applicable since you probably don't experience much, if any frost. And of course none of this would work for non-US users who don't have a USDA hardiness zone. So I'm struggling a bit, but I'll get there eventually. Thankfully at least some of the data won't change much from zone to zone.

A giant, digital, wikipedia-like database is basically what I'm trying to create, but unlike wikipedia where all the information is in prose, I'd like the data to be extremely structured. For example, if I'm a user with some spare space in my garden but no idea what to plant, I'd like to be able to search with filters applied for hardiness zone, planting date, soil type and light requirements, and get a list of plants that match those requirements as my results.

Any and all other opinions or ideas are much appreciated!

I forgot about https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/ it's kind of similar to what you're talking about. It at least has a list of locations where users say they grow XYZ which can be helpful. Like you say, USDA zone isn't always all that useful-plenty of stuff that is happy in Egypt, with the same latitude and elevation and similar temp ranges as here can't handle the constant rain and humidity we get. Surely some government body somewhere has plotted various climactic data to say location X and Y are climatically very similar, where Y and Z are not?

The good news is good practice for planting pretty much anything is the same worldwide. A few plants have particular requirements for pH, but generally everything wants good, well drained soil high in organic matter and then they vary in light requirements and water, which are also very dependent on local climate.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you really want to do this, a strong solution of glyphosate (buy the concentrated 51% stuff, its available in all kinds of generics besides RoundUp. Just read the labels at the store) mixed in a hand garden sprayed and sprayed on the green parts of everything in your yard will kill most everything and not gently caress up your soil for eternity. 3-4oz of 51% glyphosate/gallon of water and a few Tbsp of dish soap is a good mix for killing everything. It may take a week or two, and you may need to reapply in a few weeks when you see what it didn't kill. It works best when stuff is green and growing-if it's still winter where you are wait until spring. On trees/shrubs you can do a hack and squirt treatment-chop into the trunk with a hatchet/machete and squirt undiluted glyphosate in the cut. Usually 1 cut per 1" or diameter will do it.

Think real hard about if this is what you really want to do. You might think it looks like poo poo now, but it's really going to look awful when its a bunch of sad, brown, dead poo poo. It's probably going to make your gardener grandfather very sad to see his garden a brown mess. It probably won't take nearly as long as you think to just do some basic pruning and weeding to make it look better and not look like you just got Agent Oranged.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My favorite gardening guy is Felder Rushing, a former county extension agent with a masters in horticulture or something from MS State who just knows tons about plants and gardening and has the best gardening show on public radio and I pretty much totally trust whatever he has to say. He says he really wishes he could find something wrong with glyphosate but he just can’t. His advice is don’t take a bath in it and don’t soak your cigarettes in it before you smoke them and you’ll be fine.

I live in a hot, humid, rainy place where glyphosate probably degrades/moves out of the soil (I thought it only really was absorbed by leaves anyway?) faster than most places, but I can kill a patch of grass I want to turn into a bed with it and a week later when the grass is dead there are already weeds sprouting in it.

I’m not familiar with 3,4-D, only 2,4-D-will it keep stuff from growing in an area? Does it work as a preemergent by stopping seeds from germinating or by just keeping stuff from growing? Is there a common name?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s still good the second year. It will probably start to flower at some point and make fewer leaves and die, but not for a few weeks or months. If I leave them alone and let them flower and set seed, occasionally they reseed themselves but not as reliably as basil or cilantro.

The roots are good in a stew or stock. They have a nice parsley/parsnip/carrot flavor.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PVC with tiny holes in it is super cheap and works pretty well. Make like a big U with your row of vegetables and stuff down the middle. Light enough that they are pretty portable if you have multiple beds and don’t want to bury them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Garlic chives can get really invasive. I also don't particularly like to eat them. I have no idea why I planted them. Apparently the Chinese much prefer them to normal chives, but I am sadly not Chinese. I dug up a wheelbarrow full out of my much neglected herb garden:

My much less neglected herb garden. I always separate out the 3 plants you usualy get if you buy parley/basil in a pot and it turned into a whoooole lot of parley and basil.

Also, can anyone identify this? Its maybe 18-24" high. Definitely an allium, hanging around an abandoned vegetable garden that hasn't been used in probably 40 years.

E:

Motronic posted:

"Normal" to you (wherever you are) plants are weird on other places. I learned this many years ago when I first was in the bay area and found a rosemary HEDGE. I always thought rosemary was yet another one of those annual things you plant and it stays kinda contained and it's tasty. But put it where it was meant to grow.........
I have some rosemary I need to cut back as it has gotten 3' tall and 4-5' wide in places. It's only been in the ground 2 years I think? Makes you smell nice when you cut it though.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Parsley leaves that are white/yellow around the edges is probably just chlorosis/too much water right? All my other herbs look great but some of the parsley is looking sad around the edges-might just be transplant shock too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I love these things for starting seeds:
https://www.amazon.com/Count-Jiffy-...423487254&psc=1
Easy to move delicate little seedlings when they're fragile and tiny, and don't take up much space.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sounds like time for biological warfare courtesy of Bacillus thuringiensis. Let it eat those caterpillars from the inside out AND MAKE THEM PAY.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Serious vegetable gardeners/seed savers is one of those rare markets that includes lots of slightly-to-very whacko off the grid types on the far far left and the far far right which probably makes it even harder to pick a speaker who won’t be at all politically controversial to someone. He definitely was not the right choice to not tick off half their customer base though, however much he may know about melons or whatever.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I'm going all in on groundnut next year. What a versatile plant. They grow like crazy here too.
I found that in the woods one time while it was blooming and was blown away by the scent and beautiful little flowers. Smells just like rosewood sawdust and looks like little miniature red/pink wisteria. I noticed a little bean on it, but I didn’t know you could eat it. Is it delicious?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Has anyone ever successfully transplanted a huckleberry here? They seem to like specific rotting stumps I'm hesitant to try

I wouldn't think its too hard? Blueberries are easy to move and they're like first cousins. I'd just make sure to keep it watered well.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Heners_UK posted:

Just catching up on this thread, but this post from 2009 explains why my very first attempt at gardening in 2008 (back garden in London, grow bags only) failed. Didn't help that I didn't like tomatoes anyway.

On to current matters, I've got a Basil plant (from Costco) which were reasonably sure cannot go outside full time yet (in Vancouver, BC, Canada). However, the picky bastard cannot decide if it hasn't got enough water, or if it likes it's dry. I just watered it because it was parched but my fiancee thinks it likes it dry? The poor thing is drooping badly. Any ideas how I can keep it alive until it's warm enough for a proper planter on the deck?
If you stick a basil cutting in a glass of water, it will grow roots and even continue to grow. It’s in the mint family-it likes water. That being said, water it deeply (until water comes out the bottom of the pot) and only every few days when the soil on top starts to dry out. If you are watering it deeply and it still is wilting/drying out very quickly it may be pot bound and you need to re pot it to a larger pot.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Anyone have any advice for squash borers? They killed my crop last year, so I was thinking of putting gauze around the stems this year.
They were so bad for me one year I just gave up growing summer squashes. Normal caterpillar pesticides work in theory, but once they are inside the vine they don’t get to the worn. You can slit the vines open with a razor blade and kill the caterpillar inside but that’s super tedious. Floating row covers apparently work, and starting your squash earlier is supposed to help. Winter squash like pumpkins don’t have hollow vines and so they are immune.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Grand Fromage posted:

But in good news, first harvest day!

Idk what those are but they are adorable.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

One of my favorite parts of watching people get into gardening is watching them go from “i wouldn’t hurt anything and I think slugs are cute” to “DO THEY MAKE NUCLEAR WEAPONS THAT WORK AGAINST BUGS AND SQUIRRELS?!?!?? WHY ISN’T NERVE GAS AVAILABLE FOR CIVILIAN USE?” in about a month.

I don’t have a slug problem, but I have swarms I’d those black and red grasshoppers that turn into the huuuuge yellow and black ones. I’ve doused them in spinosad when they’re young and it does nothing. Neem oil does nothing. When they get big I get scared of them and think they’re all going to gang up on me one day and so I try not to offend them after mid June.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I used to cover my blackberries in nets and never had a stuck bird in them. Kind of a pain to get them on and off though, and make sure you take them off as soon as you harvest or stuff starts going through them and it’s a mess. People used to eat songbirds all the time-supposedly they’re delicious....

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

indigi posted:

holy poo poo the handbook for my county's program is $75 used. fuckin Penn State
It's probably available free as a pdf from the extension service. And if it isn't call them and fuss at them about your tax dollars paying for this etc etc

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jan posted:

I've got a bit of a problem.

10 days ago:

Today:

I've been trying to prune the suckers on the tomatoes every evening but they still just keep exploding. In the past I haven't had to do much pruning, but I guess the climate here in California is different. The thing is, I'm worried they're spending too much energy growing instead of flowering and making fruit. I'm getting relatively few blossoms and fewer of those are actually fruiting. Should I start pruning branches? Or maybe a phosophorus fertilizer would help? I've been using a 12/12/12 every 2-3 weeks.

I have a similar problem with the cucamelons, they just keep creeping up and around and it's so crowded I can't even tell what's a sucker and what's the main vine anymore:

I never thought I'd have to come in here to post "halp my garden is growing too fast", but here I am. :downs:
Cut back on the nitrogen for your maters, but the K and P are okay. They look almost a blue green, which is a sign of a very happy, healthy plant. That’s great, except that it means they just want to keep growing bmore and more leaves with all that nitrogen and aren’t that worried about making babies. Starve them a little and they’ll freak out and say ‘oh poo poo I need to pass on my genetic material because I might die’ and start making more flowers. What are the overnight low temperatures? Tomatoes will really slow down on flowering/setting fruit when nighttime temps get in the 70s

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m a Bad And Lazy Gardener and let my basil get away from me on deadheading and now it’s all gone to seed. What should I do? I usually just quit about this time of year and let everything but the grass go to hell until mid September when it dries out and becomes slightly bearable again, but I have been on a homemade pizza kick and really enjoying fresh basil and want to keep it going. I read somewhere that I could cut them way back and they’ll put out new, unbolted growth? True or false? Or should I just replant? I think if I repainted they would just bolt anyway cuz it’s hot af.

This all is actually sounding like a lot of work for July in the swamp and maybe bolted basil doesn’t really taste that bad after all.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Stubbornly posting this in here because I wasn't smart enough to know that even though these starts were next to the cucumbers and zucchini, they aren't edible. They still might be my favorite thing I grew this season. 4 starts in a pack for $2 and look at the variation I got!

Dangerous Gourd Dog

Everything in this picture is adorable.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There is a landscaping thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694

It needs some good effortposts!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I usually snack on them over a few weeks, but I had to harvest all my satsumas ahead of this very early hard freeze. I just planted it 5 years ago, and it's now 8-10' tall and it produced ~10 gallons this year. Not bad for being completely neglected. I was worried the green ones weren't ripe yet, but all the ones I've tried so far have been good, if not super super sweet. I definitely should have thinned out the crop sometime after it had set fruit for quality, but they're still pretty good.

uh....anyone know what to do with 10 gallons of satsumas?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Platystemon posted:

The juice is delicious and it takes freezing well.
I had thought of that but I don't have a juicer and don't really want one. The juice is the most gorgeous color too.

I'd thought about marmalade or something but I'm not sure if satsumas make good marmalade?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have any experience growing Chinese/Vietnamese kind of vegetables, especially greens? I’ve been getting into cooking in those cuisines lately and since I live in a hot, humid, wet swamp growing some of them myself might be easier than driving out to the Vietnamese market. I don’t quite have enough sun/space in my main garden bed for tomatoes, and maybe greens don’t need as much sun?

I’ve grown plenty of Italian basil before-is there much difference in growing Thai/holy basil?

I’m also wishing I hadn’t done quite such a vigorous purge of my garlic chives last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SubG posted:

What else are you thinking about? Pretty much every year I grow bitter melons, one or more Asian eggplant cultivars, and I've got some self-propagating Okinawan sweet potatoes, but none of those are greens.
I don't actually really know what else I should try to grow! Green onions are easy, but also cheap and available at the regular supermarket. Definitely going to get some garlic chives going again in a pot where hopefully they won't take over.

I've always hoped/wondered if there were local Asian varieties of stuff like carrots and garlic that are better adapted to a warm, wet subtropical climate with no real winter than the European/American varieties usually grown. Somehow they manage to grow carrots in Vietnam, but maybe they grow them in the highlands or something?