Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.
If it's been sitting for that long you probably shouldn't have to add anything with it, provided it was composted right... Also keep in mind that most plants prefer slightly acid soil.

Testing your soil is a good idea, but bee careful with pH tests, homeowner/colorimetric tests can be inaccurate and misleading. You can send a soil sample to be tested for a small fee, usually via your state university, and it will be much more accurate, with recommendations included. You can also choose to test other aspects of the soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

Be careful with ashes, they can cause your soil to become too alkaline if you're not careful.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

If your compost smells, you're doing it wrong. The smell is produced by anaerobic bacteria-- compost done right is turned often, providing oxygen to the microorganisms that break it down. Material that is composting aerobically shouldn't stink.
Also, the warmer compost is, the better, since the little critters like warmth and work faster when they're warmer. Don't worry about the earthworms... Unless you're specifically after worm castings, you won't really need them, and if it's too warm for them in the pile they'll just leave.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

HeatherChandler posted:

I have worked myself in a tizzy. I know a thousand times over that you are NOT supposed to handle tomatoes after smoking since it is very possible that your cigarettes have tobacco mosaic virus infected leaves in it, and it survives proccessing. I have drilled this into my head. I wash my hands several times in between handling plants and after smoking.

I was outside smoking today and saw a tiny green caterpillar on one of my plants and immediately thought I better pick it off and inspect the rest of them for bugs.

ACK! I was even going to make myself a little no smoking sign and attach it to the tray but I thought 'nah, I've been growing tomatoes for years and always remembered, I don't need a sign.' So now I am all worried and paranoid about it. The amount of attention I have given these drat things and now I am afraid of waking up to diseased plants. I've got all heirlooms this year so no disease resistance. I knew I should have stayed quit.

They look pretty, but I just dont *get* microgreens. I'd have to plant a ridiculous area of microgreens to really put a dent in the greens I eat. Are they meant to make up a whole salad? Are you growing any other lettuces?
Calm down. Viruses can't even get into a plant unless they are placed there through a wound made by a vector animal like a thrip or nematode. You're not going to infect your tomatoes.

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

HeatherChandler posted:

Anyway, here is a photo of what I mean by translucent patches, they aren't the same as what it would look like if it was bacterial spot. I am assuming something has been nibbling at it, only I don't know what yet.

Looks more like plain old sunburn than anything pest-related, TBH. Did you move these plants out from a shady place into direct sun? Plants sometimes get burned if they're not used to bright light.