Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Since no one in the Hajime no Ippo anime thread is making a manga discussion thread, I decided to make one for you! Now everyone in the anime thread can browse it without pages of unmarked manga spoilers!

here is a brief summary blatantly stolen from wikipedia!
Ippo Makunouchi is a very shy high school student who never had the time to make friends because he was always busy helping his mother with the family charter boat fishing business. Because he kept to himself, a group of bullies led by Umezawa got into the habit of picking on him. On one particular day these bullies decided to give him a rather serious beating, but a middle-weight professional boxer who was passing by stopped the bullies and took the injured Ippo to the Kamogawa Gym, owned by retired boxer Genji Kamogawa, to treat his wounds. After Ippo awoke to the sounds of boxers training, the boxer who saved him, Mamoru Takamura, tried to cheer Ippo up by letting him vent his frustrations on a sandbag. It was then that they had their first glimpse into Ippo's talent for boxing. After that incident, Ippo started his regular training and began his path in Japan's professional boxing.

The story focuses heavily on character development, even during the matches something is learned about the fighters. Ippo and his friendly rivalry with Miyata is the main draw in the early part of the series. That later changes to Ippo's path towards the Japanese Featherweight Championship and eventually the world championship. Along the way we are given glimpses into the other side character's pasts, motivations, relationships to others and current boxing trials.

Apparently the manga is well over 800 chapters and has been running for just about 20 years now. It can be found here.

For the record I have never actually read a single page of the manga, and I cant go digging around for any humorous images because I don't want to spoil the anime for myself. Feel free to have the thread closed and make a better OP yourself!

:siren: If you enjoyed the anime and you would like to start reading the manga, chapter 399 is where the anime ends. thanks Guyver!:siren:

Kweh fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I demand a massive OP!

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
Needs more pictures, words and possibly homosexual undertones between Miyata and Ippo.

Soth fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 25, 2009

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Soth posted:

Needs more pictures, words and possibly homosexual undertones between Miyata and Ippo.

I'll put them in the OP if you can find some. :allears:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
A great Online Ippo manga viewer:
http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/ippo.php?chap=843&img=01

Newest Chapter 844 RAW:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W859X19G
or
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0m0ejh

No comment on this chapter, you'll have to see it for yourself to believe it. I'm totally unsure how I feel about the fight.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Jedah posted:

A great Online Ippo manga viewer:
http://www.confusticated.com/ignition-one/ippo.php?chap=843&img=01

Newest Chapter 844 RAW:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W859X19G
or
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0m0ejh

No comment on this chapter, you'll have to see it for yourself to believe it. I'm totally unsure how I feel about the fight.

As much as I see the spoilers for Naruto (maybe not a good example) and the One Piece spoiler (a good example) I can at least resist not looking at them. This one is gonna be hard, merely because I need to know how this fight ends (Miyata better lose, but he wont).

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl
The most demanded topic in ADTRW history...

Rolling Go!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
844 RAW That's it?! God drat it, I wanted a smash shouryuken. Although I guess the fight isn't technically over yet. At least his ribs are hosed..

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 25, 2009

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Man, Ippo looked like a midget on the early chapters, the artstyle has come a long way.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

Man, Ippo looked like a midget on the early chapters, the artstyle has come a long way.

Well he was also like 15 or 16

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Honest Thief posted:

Yes, though I'm not quite sure how his current physique isn't totally freakish by now, or how he's remained comfortably in the same weight class despite becoming a superhuman.

At one point, it is shown that Ippo's own arm strength is almost equivalent to Takamura, during a game of arm wrestling. This was way earlier in the series too. Takamura is what, about 6 weight classes above Ippo?

I'd think, at the least, he'd resemble Shimabukuro's body type more, or maybe (at least) Sendo.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Jedah posted:

Yes, though I'm not quite sure how his current physique isn't totally freakish by now, or how he's remained comfortably in the same weight class despite becoming a superhuman.

At one point, it is shown that Ippo's own arm strength is almost equivalent to Takamura, during a game of arm wrestling. This was way earlier in the series too. Takamura is what, about 6 weight classes above Ippo?

I'd think, at the least, he'd resemble Shimabukuro's body type more, or maybe (at least) Sendo.

It's because Ippo is secretly black and has superior black muscles :ssh:

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005
Your best friend objectifies children and you lied for him about it.

fuck you, you disgusting idiot.

Jedah posted:

Different people have different strength threasholds for their muscles so someone who has a ton of mass may be weaker than the guy who looks kind of flabby. A good rule of thumb is don't judge a fighter based on physique.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jedah posted:

comic book.

No but seriously he's super short and he's not over training muscles like a body builder might, plus you can infer that he has a sort of natural strength. His punch has always been strong most of his training has been to build up other muscles to support his power and deliver it in different ways

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
I've always thought that part of the reason is due to the brutal weight maintenance regimes they put themselves through. They train like hell but keep restricting their food and water intake, thus their actual muscle mass gain is limited.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

844 is up

Remo posted:

I've always thought that part of the reason is due to the brutal weight maintenance regimes they put themselves through. They train like hell but keep restricting their food and water intake, thus their actual muscle mass gain is limited.
Ippo is a natural featherweight he doesn't need to do that, all he needs to do is not get fat which his training menu would more than take care of.

DamnGlitch posted:

comic book.
This really is the answer, well half of it. Ippo is mostly tiny and unassuming for comedic effect and to help the readers identify with him. But at the same time when ever he has his clothes off or does some some show of strength he's absolutely ripped. Just look at weigh-ins and when they arm-wrestled.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 26, 2009

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Guyver posted:

844 is up
CROSS COUNTAAAAAAAAAAA. I'm inclined to call it at this point because I can't think of too much else that can be done. Miyata's ribs are done, his right is done, his left doesn't have any power left in it. Basically, if Randy gets up, Miyata is done barring one of the more ridiculous displays of FIGHTING SPIRIT.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Guyver posted:

844 is up

This is just taking too long, I mean, I know it's how usually a fight goes in Ippo, but the ammount of punishment Myata took is just astounding.

DamnGlitch posted:

Well he was also like 15 or 16

So? It's just a very early state of the author's drawing, it just goes to shows how he evolved, it's no wonder the anime didn't kept this early look for Ippo.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

This is just taking too long, I mean, I know it's how usually a fight goes in Ippo, but the ammount of punishment Myata took is just astounding.

So? It's just a very early state of the author's drawing, it just goes to shows how he evolved, it's no wonder the anime didn't kept this early look for Ippo.

His art style AND ippo's size changed.

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005

Do we even need to spoiler?
I think he'll get up. Miyata's ribs are hosed so that probably took a lot of power out of the punch. Everytime they show an injury or such before a punch something similar happens.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Honest Thief posted:

Mashiba looked totally different when he first appeared, as time went on his features became more and more 'evil' looking.
One thing about the overall art style, he has always drawn ears like a 1st grader :downs:

And about 844, who else thinks Miyata wins the fight but ends his boxing career? Glass ribs?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 30, 2023

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sephiroth669 posted:

Mashiba looked totally different when he first appeared, as time went on his features became more and more 'evil' looking.
One thing about the overall art style, he has always drawn ears like a retard :downs:

And about 844, who else thinks Miyata wins the fight but ends his boxing career? Glass ribs?

I think that would be ideal. Otherwise it would be pretty bogus in terms of believability

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

DamnGlitch posted:

I think that would be ideal. Otherwise it would be pretty bogus in terms of believability

But would Miyata do then? He's a popular character!

(teaches Ippo the counter! Ippo takes Miyata's dreams TO ZA WORLD in his fists)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've always assumed the finale of the manga would be Ippo vs Miyata for the world title after one of them takes it from Ricardo - probably Miyata. Or them being 2 and 3 in the world when he retires or something.

But the manga has surprised me before.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Would love for the finale to be Itagaki vs Ippo. It would be Ippo's first title defense as World champion, after beating Martinez.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 1, 2009

Poke
Mar 1, 2004

Jedah posted:

Would love for the finale to be Itagaki vs Ippo. It would be Ippo's first title defense as World champion, after beating Martinez.

What's up with the foreshadowing done earlier with throwing a punch in a uncomfortable stance and the training done with uppercuts? It looks like Miyata will win with just his usual cross counter punch.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!

Jedah posted:

I somehow think that will be Ippo's last japanese title defense. From there he can finally leave Japan rankers behind and move onto the world stage.

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005

Kave posted:

I somehow think that will be Ippo's last japanese title defense. From there he can finally leave Japan rankers behind and move onto the world stage.

Haven't they already said he's vacating the title as soon as his next match is set up?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They were going to vacate before Miyata canceled his match with Ippo in favor of Randy Boy Jr. Ippo decided to quit boxing but later reconsidered, one of the Coach's conditions for taking Ippo back was that he take on both OPBF and Japanese national boxers.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 2, 2009

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Isn't Ippo supposed to be taking out all these OPBF fighters, basically brute forcing his way to Miyata's throne? It's pretty obvious that despite what has happened he'll be fighting Miyata again, but I don't think it'll be on the world stage, I reckon it'll be the OPBF title match.

Broken Toaster
Feb 20, 2009
Wasn't it said that you can't fight someone from your gym? Itagaki is waiting for the title to be dropped by Ippo to go after it.

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept

Guyver posted:

They were going to vacate before Miyata canceled his match with Ippo in favor of Randy Boy Jr. Ippo decided to quit boxing but later reconsidered, one of the Coach's conditions for taking Ippo back was that he take on both OPBF and Japanese national boxers.

Do you have a chapter range for this? I can barely remember this at all.

Broken Toaster
Feb 20, 2009

Guyver posted:

I remember this. I believe the coach's thinking for this was also that it would help Ippo improve for the world stage.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Broken Toaster posted:

I remember this. I believe the coach's thinking for this was also that it would help Ippo improve for the world stage.

I just hope they time lapse this a bit. I'm really looking forward to less gimmicks and more ippo just destroying people. The guy he took out all calm and cool without the dempsy was one of my favorite fights because it finally seemed like he was the loving champion and not punch drunk love.

Ippo always wins but the way he's been winning seems to be more stringing us along more than anything.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

dag01 posted:

Do you have a chapter range for this? I can barely remember this at all.

Chapter 721 is where Miyata delivers the bad news, 726 is when Ippo comes back to the Coach.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!

Broken Toaster posted:

Wasn't it said that you can't fight someone from your gym? Itagaki is waiting for the title to be dropped by Ippo to go after it.

Yeah, but it is possible that Itagaki could leave the gym to be able to take on Ippo. That's what Miyata did so that they could face each other in the future. Itagaki could end up at Mashiba's gym, since they seem to get along.

Broken Toaster
Feb 20, 2009

Kave posted:

Yeah, but it is possible that Itagaki could leave the gym to be able to take on Ippo. That's what Miyata did so that they could face each other in the future. Itagaki could end up at Mashiba's gym, since they seem to get along.

I can't really see Itagaki leaving the gym though.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Chapter 845 RAW:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oem8wv
http://www.mediafire.com/?jqmhnnzyezl

I tell ya, this drat fight...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Jedah posted:

Chapter 845 RAW:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oem8wv
http://www.mediafire.com/?jqmhnnzyezl

I tell ya, this drat fight...

I can't read it in class, but did Miyata finally do it? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
The "!?" in the last panel about sums it up for me.