Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
A month later and we have two new chapters.

Also, The chapter before that one, since it wasn't really posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
I'm. I'm enthu... sias... tic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't understand Itagaki as a character. He seems to be like Miyata, only better in every way and with "superpowers." Since it doesn't seem like he'll be leaving Ippo's gym anytime soon it just seems like a waste of time to focus on him so much.

I also hope this current match with Mashiba against this other guy doesn't last too long, since I don't care much about Mashiba either since he probably won't ever fight Ippo again and he's a one trick pony.

Don Cojones
Jul 11, 2001
He's like Miyata but with purely natural athletic ability and not much determination or focus. Yeah, not sure what his role in the story is going to be...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ytlaya posted:

I don't understand Itagaki as a character. He seems to be like Miyata, only better in every way and with "superpowers." Since it doesn't seem like he'll be leaving Ippo's gym anytime soon it just seems like a waste of time to focus on him so much.

I don't think he's nearly as good as we think. I mean, he's doing impressive stuff...but against pretty poo poo opponents. And honestly, just because he manages to wing a few borrowed techniques doesn't mean he's anywhere close to mastering them.

Itagaki is seriously talented, yet also very immature, and I think it's the latter that really draws people away from him. It sucks, but it just means that at some point we can hope for him to wisen up and bring on something serious.

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005
Your best friend objectifies children and you lied for him about it.

fuck you, you disgusting idiot.
New chapter has been out for a while http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/854/01/

Mashiba is fighting clean!

And getting his rear end kicked.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
That may be so, but he's trying to fight dirty. I think anyway.

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005

tazman posted:

That may be so, but he's trying to fight dirty. I think anyway.

I thought they made it pretty clear that the crowd is waiting for him to do something dirty but he is fighting fair.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

New Chapter up on Onemanga.

Guess Mashiba hasn't completely worked through his Ippo issues maybe Mashiba will give up the title to get another shot at him, probably not. It looks like the author is pushing Ippo and Kumi's relationship more each chapter.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 7, 2009

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!

Guyver posted:

New Chapter up on Onemanga.

Guess Mashiba hasn't completely worked through his Ippo issues maybe Mashiba will give up the title to get another shot at him, probably not. It looks like the author is pushing Ippo and Kumi's relationship more each chapter.

Yeah but I expect the relationship to be buried again for a couple volumes while Ippo focuses on his next fight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I dunno, if it wasn't for the age of the characters and the timespans this manga covered, it would look like most any other shounen where relationships (especially for the main character) are mostly only there to be played for laughs. I wouldn't expect any big developments there any time soon.

I also wouldn't expect Mashiba to ever fight Ippo again. That was probably just to let him show up and hilariously threaten Ippo next chapter for a bit of comic relief.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I sort of doubt Ippo could handle a love interest who had an actual personality. So in that respect Kumi is an excellent character! It would be strangely hilarious to see him try to handle a tsundere but fail miserably, though.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
There's a lot of things i don't like about this manga.

But then again there are things like

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?
:siren:Newest Chapter:siren:

Pretty much standard filler, except that Itagaki actually calls Ippo out on not being more forward with Kumi. But since Ippo's got to fight a GENIUSU next, any hint of romance is gone :/ It's always a little disappointing, especially since I'm re-reading the manga, and it seems like Ippo/Kumi is going somewhere following his loss to Date at least as much as a pretty good date to the amusement park, but then that goes basically nowhere.

Positronbob
Jul 5, 2007
Right through the pants
I'm not too bothered- it's been far too long since Ippo had a fight, and I'm curious to see whether they're going to bother making him "rusty" at all or just have the usual "IPPO HAS NEVER SEEN THIS TRICK BEFORE!?!? HOW WILL HE WIN!?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Positronbob posted:

I'm not too bothered- it's been far too long since Ippo had a fight, and I'm curious to see whether they're going to bother making him "rusty" at all or just have the usual "IPPO HAS NEVER SEEN THIS TRICK BEFORE!?!? HOW WILL HE WIN!?"

I really hope they stop that, especially since Ippo is basically a superveteran now given the huge number of matches he's been in.

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005

I hope they build up the Indonesian champ a lot and then Ippo absolutely crushes him.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Nubian Robodin posted:

I hope they build up the Indonesian champ a lot and then Ippo absolutely crushes him.
This has absolutely no precedent at all.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Nubian Robodin posted:

Given how the coach praised him as Gedo's match ended (ie: WE CAN TAKE THE WOOORRRLD :argh:), I think it'd be appropriate to show that Ippo has what it takes to not barely squeak by some world rankers. But Ippo typically doesn't hype up/build up folks who he steamrolls.

Touching on it a bit late, but I'm upset that Mashiba took another step up in weight classes. I figured a Miyata-Mashiba rematch was due at some point int he near future given what happened at the Rookie king. But Miyata would probably beat him senseless if he fought fair.

Figuring on a Vorg-Sendo rematch in the future, maybe. Or did Vorg move up a weight class as well?

Geop fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 17, 2009

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Isn't Miyata still in Ippo's weight class, and thus not Mashiba's?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Isn't Miyata still in Ippo's weight class, and thus not Mashiba's?

Miyata moved up one, Mashiba moved up two.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
Miyata/Sendo are still in the same weight class as Ippo.
Mashiba has moved up two I believe.
Volg moved up one I think.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I thought they always made a big deal of Miyata staying in Ippo's weight class even though it's too light for him just so he could fight him again on the WORLD STAGE.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I've said it before but I'm under the impression that the last fight for miyata was gonna be the last time as a feather weight, since h had basically given up on his rivalry with ippo ever actually coming to fruition. I'd be less surprised it ippo went up a weight class to fight miyata. At this point miyata would (should anyway) get crushed by ippo, if miyata did another crash diet.

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

Sindai posted:

Yeah I thought they always made a big deal of Miyata staying in Ippo's weight class even though it's too light for him just so he could fight him again on the WORLD STAGE.

It only feels like he's mentioned it about a billion loving times, life's soooo rough for the great Miyata. However, I also remember reading that Miyata mentioned before the crocodile dundee fight that he said his fighting gets sharper when he has to go on the severe weight loss program.

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005

Soth posted:

This has absolutely no precedent at all.

I know it doesn't but it seems like they're going to compare the Indy champ to Itagaki. It would be cool for Ippo to destroy the guy and show that there is still a huge difference in skill.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nubian Robodin posted:

I know it doesn't but it seems like they're going to compare the Indy champ to Itagaki. It would be cool for Ippo to destroy the guy and show that there is still a huge difference in skill.

That would be awesome and ideal and there is no loving way that will happen. ippo'll drag rear end the whole time like usual until the end and then it'll be a comeback ko or something fruity.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
I just wish this series picked up the pace, I'm kinda of tired of the same ol' routine.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
With the reveal of who the Indonesian champ's coach is in 857 it's Miguel I'm thinking this might be a fight where Ippo is completely overwhelmed physically and has to win purely through tactics and utilizing the depths of his experience.

Now THAT would be a first. And I mean, as dumb as Ippo is, it's not like he's not a child of nature like this guy. or Goku.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
This manga is one long, relentless dick joke.

He is loving it

PlaceholderPoster
Mar 2, 2009

by Peatpot
You know what else is long and relentless?

Ippo's dick

I like how when they get annoyed or he's unconscious, they just start playing with his dick. Like it's community property or some poo poo, or the dick is hypnotizing them.

And by like I mean it's kind of creepy, but frequently hilarious. He's going to end up breaking his [not]girlfriend in half.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

PlaceholderPoster posted:

You know what else is long and relentless?

Ippo's dick

I like how when they get annoyed or he's unconscious, they just start playing with his dick. Like it's community property or some poo poo, or the dick is hypnotizing them.

And by like I mean it's kind of creepy, but frequently hilarious. He's going to end up breaking his [not]girlfriend in half.

This series isn't gay at all. Sure, it promotes the idea that friendship and rivalry between men is more important than hetero relationships. Then there is the completely irrelevant fact that the only guy in a real relationship is Aoki, with said relationship existing mostly for comic relief. Oh, and you shouldn't misinterpret Ippo's fanatical devotion to getting closer with Miyata. That is 100% straight blushing while looking at a guy he thinks about more than any other person. Add in the normal obsession every male character that encounters it seems to have with Ippo's giant penis if you like, it doesn't matter. Sometimes straight men just want to fondle another man's genitals. Or have conversations about said genitals out of nowhere. Or suddenly find themselves thinking about horse cocks. So in conclusion, it isn't gay because samurai spirit. gently caress foreigners!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haha, the public service environment in the latest chapter of Ippo actually made me laugh outloud.

Also, looks like Ippo's next opponent is going to be Mogli.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Latest chapter is out on Onemanga.

So basically, after Ippo saying that he's glad he doesn't wanna fight Itagaki, this new fighter is also a genius and has insane foot and hand speed. WHAT A COINCIDENCE

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Im up to date on the anime series. With the Battle of hawks fight. Where do I need to start to pick up where this is on the Manga? And where is a good place to get these in bulk? Is this considered FILEZ or is it okay to ask here?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Up to chapter 399 (the anime skips a short arc so you'll recognize the first half of 399 just keep reading) is covered in the New Challenger anime. It's not licensed and probably never will be so no worries. As for finding it in bulk; I wouldn't bother since there's so much of it. You can just read it online at One Manga or MangaFox

Guyver fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 8, 2009

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

:siren: actual new manga :siren:

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Cap N' Crunch posted:

:siren: actual new manga :siren:

<everyone> MAN IPPO SURE IS BETTER THAN US! <Ippo> TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN <Takamura> MAN I SURE AM BETTER THAN IPPO

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Once February rolls around, we'll have been running on this treadmill for twenty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Soth posted:

<everyone> MAN IPPO SURE IS BETTER THAN US! <Ippo> TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN <Takamura> MAN I SURE AM BETTER THAN IPPO

Hahaha... Glad you made that a spoiler, because it summarizes, in essence, 89 volumes of manga. But hey, we love it.