Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
I have pretty much the same reaction. Re-using a gimmick is worse than the gimmick bullshit itself, but that last panel expression will at least keep me interested for a few more chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
New Ippo! http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/869/

It's not bad, though Woli lasts for another chapter too long.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Coughing Hobo posted:

New Ippo! http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/869/

It's not bad, though Woli lasts for another chapter too long.

Not a bad chapter, even though you can tell Ippo's going to push him into the corner and Woli'll use the move he used on Vorg. Still, it felt very intense, and I hope the fight keeps up this pressure.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Ya ya, It's really nice to see Ippo finally acting like a champion and not being shaken up by little stuff. Baton Pass indeed.

apekillape fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 3, 2009

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
870 RAW: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=US13EKIN

Starting to feel like the Gedo match a little bit.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Looks a bit disappointing. Ippo swings around, makes no progress. Thinks he hits him in the midsection/liver once, but it turns out he blocked it with his elbow. End of the comic, he charges Woli after finally cornering him. He's then met with a smash a la Sendo. Hope he doesn't get thrashed around for a graphic novel, only to one-shot Woli.

Fight is playing out like this so far, goons. Guess who is who :smithicide:

Geop fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 7, 2009

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

God drat I wish Nas didn't turn into a bitch after the MAB fight :(

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

God drat I wish Nas didn't turn into a bitch after the MAB fight :(

He didn't turn into one, he was always a bitch.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He didn't turn into one, he was always a bitch.

:downsbravo:

Anyone got news on another season of the anime? We got some hot poo poo coming up that'd be more enjoyable to watch than whatever the gently caress is gonna end up going down further down the line in this fight.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Well, it is supposedly a strong rumor that a sequel series is coming. The dude who plays Takamura's voice mentioned it on his blog, according to this link (and a few other joints I happened upon in Google). Seems that the success of this follow-up series is really kicking it off. I'm glad the animation is better, at the least. The first series (~75ish episodes, was it?) looked rather out-dated in its animation :smith:

Anyone who can read Japanese could probably confirm it here. As for when? Lord knows. Probably a year out.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Geop posted:

Well, it is supposedly a strong rumor that a sequel series is coming. The dude who plays Takamura's voice mentioned it on his blog, according to this link (and a few other joints I happened upon in Google). Seems that the success of this follow-up series is really kicking it off. I'm glad the animation is better, at the least. The first series (~75ish episodes, was it?) looked rather out-dated in its animation :smith:

Anyone who can read Japanese could probably confirm it here. As for when? Lord knows. Probably a year out.

the older episodes by and large had much better animation, though the new stuff looks crisper. Ippo in particular looks a bit wonky in the new series, i thought. Either way I liked the second series more than some, and I'm looking forward to seeing gendo's flashback animated :3:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

the older episodes by and large had much better animation, though the new stuff looks crisper. Ippo in particular looks a bit wonky in the new series, i thought. Either way I liked the second series more than some, and I'm looking forward to seeing gendo's flashback animated :3:

Kamogawa's WW2-era flashback would make an awesome OAV or movie =o

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/870/

HE JUST HIT HIM WITH A GODDAMN SMASH!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Soth posted:

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/870/

HE JUST HIT HIM WITH A GODDAMN SMASH!

I HATE

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

DamnGlitch posted:

I HATE

I don't think that was a move specifically taught to Woli. Something about it smacks of instinct. In fact, reliance on it may be his undoing. It was a blind shot and it's gonna hurt, but Ippo's not going to take one of those again. Woli may like his new 'toy' and try it again, even though he seems to lack the raw power of Sendo's work.

That, and Ippo's head is made of rock and lined on the inside with marzipan. How much time is left in the round?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
See, these latest fights have been bothering me. I love how Ippo has reached the stage where only one of his punches will completely gently caress the other guy up, but then the opponent has to rely on gimmicks so he doesn't get raped. And I don't really like that. I miss the Sendou fights, where both fighters were kicking the poo poo out of each other, not dodge dodge dodge HIT oh he's down.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

tazman posted:

See, these latest fights have been bothering me. I love how Ippo has reached the stage where only one of his punches will completely gently caress the other guy up, but then the opponent has to rely on gimmicks so he doesn't get raped. And I don't really like that. I miss the Sendou fights, where both fighters were kicking the poo poo out of each other, not dodge dodge dodge HIT oh he's down.

waiting on Ippo to fight a hard-hitting USA dude :unsmith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

tazman posted:

I think by having Ippo take down gimmick after gimmick, they try to have you believe that Ippo is still gaining worthwhile experience from each fight. What they're really doing, though, is slowing down Ippo's progress as a boxer so that Miyata can catch up.

Cause I don't care what Miyata can throw in the ring, it wouldn't take more than ten of Ippo's punches to take him down, currently.

greatmagnus
May 5, 2009

I have a dragon. Your argument is invalid.

Shinjobi posted:

I think by having Ippo take down gimmick after gimmick, they try to have you believe that Ippo is still gaining worthwhile experience from each fight. What they're really doing, though, is slowing down Ippo's progress as a boxer so that Miyata can catch up.

Cause I don't care what Miyata can throw in the ring, it wouldn't take more than ten of Ippo's punches to take him down, currently.

Well he has that jolt crap now too. They have to put the two of them in the ring together really soon, as Ippo is still the #1 contender for the oriental title, unless he just skips that and starts heading for ricardo now

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The coach's plan is to work their way through all the National champions of the OPBF. So that means 16 more fights till he's done and any Japanese fighters that come his way.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

Guyver posted:

The coach's plan is to work their way through all the National champions of the OPBF. So that means 16 more fights till he's done and any Japanese fighters that come his way.

STRETCHIN DIS poo poo OUT. Lets not forget all the other guys having their fights too.

Chapter 2,136 - Miyata and Ippo's Destined Match Intro
Chapter 2,137 - The author dies of old age, SORRY BROS.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Soth posted:

STRETCHIN DIS poo poo OUT. Lets not forget all the other guys having their fights too.

Chapter 2,136 - Miyata and Ippo's Destined Match Intro

My worst fear is that this happens to Ippo and Berserk! :smith:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Soth posted:

I would possibly be the angriest 53 year old ever there was if this happened. Maybe Morikawa will get bored and just montage through the rest of them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, this match is really goddamn racist even by HnI standards. Woli is a noble savage who competes against civilized training and glorious nipponese samurai spirit with his innate physical ability attained through living in a jungle and eating lots of bananas.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

BOrangeFury posted:

I don't think that was a move specifically taught to Woli. Something about it smacks of instinct. In fact, reliance on it may be his undoing. It was a blind shot and it's gonna hurt, but Ippo's not going to take one of those again. Woli may like his new 'toy' and try it again, even though he seems to lack the raw power of Sendo's work.

That, and Ippo's head is made of rock and lined on the inside with marzipan. How much time is left in the round?

I hate coming up with these "it would be okay IF" scenarios, but the only way I'll really love this fight at this point is if woli throws every one of the past punches ippo has faced, and each time it hits ippo ippo goes "Too late, already felt that one before" and punches him so loving hard his jaw flies off and into the crowd and a guy in the crowd gets his eye poked and then ippo goes to prison for ruining a guys eye and comes out a year later with an even greater love for boxing and ASHITA NO JOE.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 13, 2009

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, this match is really goddamn racist even by HnI standards. Woli is a noble savage who competes against civilized training and glorious nipponese samurai spirit with his innate physical ability attained through living in a jungle and eating lots of bananas.

This manga has been pretty racist since the opening arc fyi.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

I hate coming up with these "it would be okay IF" scenarios, but the only way I'll really love this fight at this point is if woli throws every one of the past punches ippo has faced, and each time it hits ippo ippo goes "Too late, already felt that one before" and punches him so loving hard his jaw flies off and into the crowd and a guy in the crowd gets his eye poked and then ippo goes to prison for ruining a guys eye and comes out a year later with an even greater love for boxing and ASHITA NO JOE.

Liver punch, Smash, DEMPSEY would be the most hilarious thing Woli could do to Ippo though he'll probably just be Miyata and Hawks gay baby.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Raw is up.

Basically, Ippo shakes off the Smash and closes in. Woli then switches to Hitman style a la Mashiba. He begins darting out flickers, but Ippo reacts pretty quickly. He blocks them and closes in, swings at Woli, but he uses his footwork to dodge just like Miyata would.

Woli goes :smug: mode and tries flickering Ippo again, but he closes in and blocks/dodges every single swing this time thanks to moving in a zig-zag pattern. He begins driving Woli back in to the corner as the chapter winds down.

Seems to be a compilation fight of sorts. The coach mentions that Woli may be copying some of the best fighters within the weight class' recent history, but Ippo has beaten all of them at some point or another. Thankfully, the Smash was the only legit hit. Adding to that, he's keeping level-headed.

I really hope there isn't a trump card, but as it stands, Woli and Miguel are already looking rather jarred, thanks to Ippo.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Geop posted:

Raw is up.

Seems to be a compilation fight of sorts..

Hmm. Here's to hoping this is functioning as a sort of re-cap fight and is being used to jump into the next major arc.

greatmagnus
May 5, 2009

I have a dragon. Your argument is invalid.
Translated version is up.

Good god this is gonna be a long one

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Holy poo poo this chapter got my hopes up then dashed them soundly :( When Ippo starting moving in his "signature" way I was hoping for the rebirth of some ridiculous ultra Dempsey Roll (That we only caught a glimpse at back at the Scratch J fight). While he's got him to the corner we know this is where Woli is gonna pull some bullshit, it's what he did to Vorg.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Maybe Woli will do his bounce off the rope bullshit, punch Ippo in the back of the head and get disqualified for it

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Maybe Woli will do his bounce off the rope bullshit, punch Ippo in the back of the head and get his stomach removed by a liver blow

Fixed.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If this were Bleach, the whole Woli can use different moves exposition would have taken up the whole chapter. Instead, we got that, Ippo's rebound, and now forcing him into the corner to use whatever he used on Vorg. Maybe the fight will finish sooner than we thought?

VVV :lsd:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 27, 2009

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

bhsman posted:

Maybe the fight will finish sooner than we thought?

Mods? I thought people got probation for posting high?

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

If you want to be optimistic about it, this fight might be slightly shorter than the Randy Boy Junior - Miyata fight.

Being optimistic.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is this going to be one of those stupid fights where Woli will magically know and end up using all of Ippo's previous opponents techniques?

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Is this going to be one of those stupid fights where Woli will magically know and end up using all of Ippo's previous opponents techniques?

Uh, he's already doing it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I know, which means it's going to be drawn out as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He has yet to use the ultimate weapon, which Ippo has no defense against. Miyata's sexy pose!