Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean the issue with Gehennom is "it's boring", not "it's hard". The early game up through to the Castle is full of neat things to see. Gehennom? A maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
Also, I am finding the thing I hate the most about Nethack 3.6 is that ki-rin can no longer equip armor for some reason. ha you actually wanted riding to be useful the whole game if you blew a wish on it? dishonorable fool

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
You are lucky! Full moon tonight.
Watch out! Bad things can happen on Friday the 13th.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got back into this game after a long time away. Despite everyone recommending dwarf Valkyries and me also trying Knights and Wizards, my best two runs so far have been my first game back as a Rogue and then later my Ranger attempt where I was hoping to cheese Stormbringer (didn't, got to the top of Sokoban before a fire ant killed me; I should probably remember to use Elbereth). Being able to kill things from range makes such a huge difference for my early game. It makes me wonder if I'm missing something about Valks and Knights, since the former particularly is supposed to be a cakewalk early game.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Valkyries are considered easy because they start with passable weapons and armour and can just move-attack almost everything in the early game, and every character is super strong in the mid- to late-game. Some things will still gently caress you up though, such as that fire ant, which can do fire damage that armour will not reduce. Elemental damage is pretty rare in the early game though, you'd likely get through it without seeing anything like that until winter wolves start showing up most of the time.

Knights are much the same, and arguably have a better late game, but have some annoying alignment issues to deal with. I imagine this is less pronounced in 3.6 with Elbereth being almost useless.

As you say, rogues and rangers have easy access to some decent ranged options, but ranged combat is pretty annoying in nethack, being limited to cardinal directions and not having support for such simple things as picking up thrown items (unless patched).

You can get similar early ranged attack with less annoyance and far more utility from a wizard, which used to be far more popular.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

..btt posted:

You can get similar early ranged attack with less annoyance and far more utility from a wizard, which used to be far more popular.

I've never ascended a wizard, but I have most fun playing as a wizard. I love that early-game force bolt advantage! I'm also hungry half the time and my pet cat gets BEEFY.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

effika posted:

hungry half the time and my pet

I used to play a lot of wizard. Always with pettype:none, and always dove to sokoban for early food (and strength).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Valkyrie is also recommended because it's extremely easy for them to get two of the best weapons in the game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Not sure if Excalibur and Mjollnir are part of the "best" weapons set. Nice to have early on, certainly!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Sage Grimm posted:

Not sure if Excalibur and Mjollnir are part of the "best" weapons set. Nice to have early on, certainly!

Mjollnir is actually the strongest weapon at +0, since the bonus damage is a fixed amount rather than a multiplier. Once you get a pile of enchant weapon scrolls or a marker, you should sacrifice until you get Grayswandir or Frost/Fire Brand.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
As someone who's first ascension was saved from death by green slime in Gehennom by throwing Firebrand into the air and hitting myself on the head to burn away the slime, Firebrand owns. Frostbrand couldn't do that. :colbert:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Sage Grimm posted:

There's better, but either at +7 is good enough to use the rest of the game.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm pretty sure Excalibur is the weapon I've ascended with the most. Not counting tin openers.

It's the best weapon you can reliably get early on, and although you can get better poo poo later, by late game I generally just don't care. It's also been made marginally more useful lategame in 3.6 due to the changes in how MC works, by virtue of the fact it grants level drain protection.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The only kinds of weapon are Magicbane and loser weapons :smug:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

..btt posted:

As you say, rogues and rangers have easy access to some decent ranged options, but ranged combat is pretty annoying in nethack, being limited to cardinal directions and not having support for such simple things as picking up thrown items (unless patched).

pickup_thrown is part of unmodded nethack (3.6) now.

I feel that Wizards are still probably the strongest class, or at least the strongest all-around class. My personal easiest ascensions were arc and tou though, since both lucked upon Grayswandir.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

The only kinds of weapon are Magicbane and loser weapons :smug:

I've barely played it since I think some of the changes are awful, but I'm betting Magicbane is nowhere near as good with the Elbereth changes. Still end-game viable, of course, but no longer basically a guaranteed win.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Sage Grimm posted:

Both of these weapons are strong enough that you can use them as your primary weapon through the end game. They aren't the "best", but they're good enough.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Does anyone have the NAO copy/paste for settings? It would do things like make all gold auto pickup and auto-organize your bag for you.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Is there a repository of ascension files somewhere?
Apparently it's possible to genocide mailer daemons in nethack, no idea if that shows up on ascension files.

It involves:
-wishing for a statue of a mailer daemon
-casting flesh to stone on the statue
-killing the mailer daemon next turn before it disappears/delivers the message
-RNG gets angry/angrier/angriest/decides to make a sandwich (pick one)

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I have been playing for 3 years.

I just realized blessed scrolls of Remove Curse uncurses your entire inventory.

I am not a smart man

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
This makes bones files... substantially more useful

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The next time you try this you'll destroy the unholy water you were saving.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I just had that moment, I feel like I'm forever away from knowing when to curse something

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
theres only a handful of things more useful cursed, and you can just drop them or store them in a bag when uncursing other stuff

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

flakeloaf posted:

The next time you try this you'll destroy the unholy water you were saving.

This but also your stack of cursed scrolls of teleport.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

moller posted:

This but also your stack of cursed scrolls of teleport.

I usually do it with my cursed potion of gain level, usually somewhere in gehennom.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

A lot of the classics are buried in old Usenet which is not so readable anymore, but you could try these for a start.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thank you for that link.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
If you're going to sacrifice your own race and may summon a demon, you're gonna wanna take off that ring of conflict

Sigh...

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mooyashi posted:

If you're going to sacrifice your own race and may summon a demon, you're gonna wanna take off that ring of conflict

Sigh...

On the other hand, leaving a bones file of Gnome Town with Juiblex in it :allears:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Rappaport posted:

On the other hand, leaving a bones file of Gnome Town with Juiblex in it :allears:

Exactly what happened. Apologies in advance to whomever finds it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Apparently it's possible to genocide mailer daemons in nethack, no idea if that shows up on ascension files.

It involves:
-wishing for a statue of a mailer daemon
-casting flesh to stone on the statue
-killing the mailer daemon next turn before it disappears/delivers the message
-RNG gets angry/angrier/angriest/decides to make a sandwich (pick one)

It's amazing that there are still things I don't know about NetHack.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

By "genocide" does he mean "extinct"?

mooyashi posted:

Exactly what happened. Apologies in advance to whomever finds it

If you're apologizing for this you're not thinking the right way yet.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

Apparently killing one mailer daemon kills them all in your game(genocide) & disables the mail-message feature in your game session.
Not sure if the disabled mail-message carries over to new nethack games on public Nethack servers.
Or how Nethack public servers handle multiple simultaneous mailer daemon genocides.
Knowing Nethack, there probably IS something uniquely coded for those scenarios.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

flakeloaf posted:

If you're apologizing for this you're not thinking the right way yet.

I mean I play on mobile, the users with Hearse enabled seem to be about a dozen people.

With my luck it will be me

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

mooyashi posted:

I mean I play on mobile, the users with Hearse enabled seem to be about a dozen people.

With my luck it will be me

Welp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Nethack gives me perspective. You can be scrupulous, faithful and cautious your entire life, but still get hit by a bus out of nowhere

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Btw I killed Juiblex. Had a wand of digging an no prayer timeout, so I scrapped his rear end. The invisible Nalfeshnee though...

I guess it wasn't my bones at any rate

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the trouble with hearse is that there are people who are going to intentionally leave nasty bones files just to gently caress you over. NetHack is generally pretty well balanced to not hit you with anything before you can handle it if you've been careful (barring the odd "gnome with the wand of death", but honestly even that is only an early-game problem given how magic resist or reflection is one of the first things people go for), but bones files will often throw that out the window since there's no level checking or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Also see: people who fountain quaff for wishes who get water demons.

• Locked thread