Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

JawnV6 posted:

The one linked in the OP as far as I know. The door diagonal thing was very annoying, I stick to ascii.

Yeah, don't use that one. This is a good tileset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Golbez posted:

Just started a local game as an elven wizard with a book of identify, ring of teleport control, wand of polymorph, and an altar on dlvl 1.

Any bets on how I'll screw this one up?

Edit: That didn't take long, dancing on a magic trap to get sacrifices for the altar and got a group of enemies I just couldn't handle, and no wand of digging. :(

Based on how my own game with a similar starting load went - killed by a mimic while your pet Master Lich is busy separating the shopkeeper from his hitpoints.

MarionetteOwl posted:

Zappy
Head deeper, IMO. Very few of my characters are ready to enter the Quest when they first get there. Stay alert; heading down may take you to the Big Room, which can be dangerous, and eventually will get you to Medusa's. Explore a bit more and you should hit XL14 with little difficulty, and then you can backtrack to the quest.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Smash Daisaku posted:

You should definitely keep exploring downwards. In fact, you might want to go down and clear out the castle to get the wishing wand and all that and then come back up. Not only should that get you to level 14 (or close to it), but you'll have the wishing wand as well, and you may even find an altar on the way down.

Your weapon as a wizard won't be too important since you'll be fingering things and magic missile-ing what you can't finger (You should try to write magic missile if you have enough marker left to do so). Still, it's worth getting Magicbane since it's a pretty decent melee weapon, lets you engrave Elbereth, and absorbs curses.

In the mean time though, I would grab a dagger and use that as a melee weapon. You're going to be one seriously unhappy camper if that quarterstaff gets cursed.

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?
Alright, just got the Eye, and now I am seemingly unable to run out of power. I'm at -20 AC and have extrinsic reflection, MR, and speed. I can fling magic missiles and fingers like nobody's business, and I have Identify for support, all 3 spells have a 0% fail rate. Is there anything else I should make sure to get before making the dive into hell?

Edit: For instance, what would be a wizard's ideal end-game gear?

Banannana fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 9, 2009

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ToxicFrog posted:

The official Nethack tilesets distinguish correctly; look, for example, at the screenshot in the OP (the doorway near the player is empty, but there's at least two other open-door ones on the map). Vulture's also works.

I'm really not interested in using a tile set and feel increasingly retarded for discussing it, but isn't that because there's a wand on it?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

God I'm even worse at this than stone soup, I just got killed by a gnome king, before that I kicked down a shop door and instantly got killed by the shopkeeper behind it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

God I'm even worse at this than stone soup, I just got killed by a gnome king, before that I kicked down a shop door and instantly got killed by the shopkeeper behind it.

What did you learn from your experiences?

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

MarionetteOwl posted:

Alright, just got the Eye, and now I am seemingly unable to run out of power. I'm at -20 AC and have extrinsic reflection, MR, and speed. I can fling magic missiles and fingers like nobody's business, and I have Identify for support, all 3 spells have a 0% fail rate. Is there anything else I should make sure to get before making the dive into hell?

There's nothing that you absolutely need beyond what you already have. If you're worried about the sanctum or the planes, you could get a conflict ring, but it's not a necessity. Just make sure that you stock up on extra/full heal potions as you come across them. You never know how rough the ride back up will get.

That's the fun thing about wizards, though. With the Eye and being able to throw around Finger of Death as an afterthought, they can ascend without nearly as much gears as other classes.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

Genocide gnomes.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

stubblyhead posted:

Wear reflection when kicking down shop doors, obviously.

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?

Genocide gnomes.

Actually, this can be an excellent idea, so long as the genocide scroll is blessed. loving mind flayers.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MarionetteOwl posted:

Actually, this can be an excellent idea, so long as the genocide scroll is blessed. loving mind flayers.

Mind flayers and gnomes are different classes though? Also, wait until the fun starts when he's playing a gnomish healer. :haw: Also reflection doesn't do poo poo against wands of striking, which I believe shopkeepers are guaranteed to have.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

MarionetteOwl posted:

Mind flayer's are h, though, unless there's some midget flayer type I'm unaware of.
Gnomes should really be h too, though, that way golems could be G.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
Make sure you're a Gnome too because then you get the "Book of tame Rodney" and a "blessed figurine of Demogorgon" thus making Ascension very easy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MarionetteOwl posted:

Gehennmon is made much less painful if you have Magic Mapping, but it's not strictly necessary. Fire resistance is, however.

JawnV6 posted:

I'm really not interested in using a tile set and feel increasingly retarded for discussing it, but isn't that because there's a wand on it?

There is, but even without the wand it shows up properly; look at "doorway", "open door" and "closed door" in the lower left of the tilemap.

Banannana
Aug 12, 2007

Are you my mummy?

Shanty posted:

Mind flayer's are h, though, unless there's some midget flayer type I'm unaware of.
Gnomes should really be h too, though, that way golems could be G.

poo poo, I get gnomes and dwarves mixed up all the time.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

ToxicFrog posted:

Gehennmon is made much less painful if you have Magic Mapping, but it's not strictly necessary. Fire resistance is, however.

There is, but even without the wand it shows up properly; look at "doorway", "open door" and "closed door" in the lower left of the tilemap.

Fire resistance isn't as much a necessity as it was. But you'll want it so you don't have to worry about losing max HP to random fire traps.

The Wensey
Jun 25, 2008

THIS IS MY ORGANIZATION NOW,...BRO!
I have never played any kind of game remotely like this. The only adventure-RPG's I've played were Morrowind and Oblivion.

Never used ASCII graphics or any kind of command-line interface before, or played DnD or even seen a 20-sided dice, virtual or otherwise.

Will this game rape me in the rear end if I try and play it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

The Wensey posted:

I have never played any kind of game remotely like this. The only adventure-RPG's I've played were Morrowind and Oblivion.

Never used ASCII graphics or any kind of command-line interface before, or played DnD or even seen a 20-sided dice, virtual or otherwise.

Will this game rape me in the rear end if I try and play it?

Yes.

(you should still give it a try)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
So what's the best way to get a game restored on NAO? I got unceremoniously dumped to the options menu while playing yesterday, and now I get the `there is already a game in progress' error when trying to play. I tried emailling paxed (at alt.org) but haven't heard anything back. Anyone know if there's a `more correct' way to do this?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

SubG posted:

So what's the best way to get a game restored on NAO? I got unceremoniously dumped to the options menu while playing yesterday, and now I get the `there is already a game in progress' error when trying to play. I tried emailling paxed (at alt.org) but haven't heard anything back. Anyone know if there's a `more correct' way to do this?

You'll get a faster response if you message him on irc. Join #nethack (details are in the op if you haven't been there before) and type '/msg paxed Hi, I'm SubG on NAO, can you please recover my game'.

Cholfo
Sep 16, 2007

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Wear reflection when kicking down shop doors, obviously.

Pffft. More like sit your pet on a poly trap till you have a dragon or some other equally Bad Thing and set him on all creation.

I once led a big mean q on a rampage through all of mine town and several in-dungeon shops because I wanted gold for protection money down in the valley. Then my q ate the priest of molloch. Good times.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Whenever I try that, I get a yellow mold.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

bort posted:

Whenever I try that, I get a yellow mold.
The trick is to have magic resistance and displace your pet into the trap repeatedly, or keep blowing a magic whistle while next to the trap. That way you can pick and choose which monster you keep.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

Also reflection doesn't do poo poo against wands of striking, which I believe shopkeepers are guaranteed to have.

The "Boing!" message when you resist striking threw me off. "Boing!" is the sound of something bouncing off! That implies reflection! Nethack misled me with false onomatopoeia. :colbert:

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Pay attention when you see the message "Closed for inventory" written in front of a locked door in the dungeon (unless you were killed in Mine Town, where kicking down any doors is generally a Bad Idea). This too was one of my first deaths in Nethack. And even when you do get early reflection or MR to resist the wand of striking, Shopkeepers still hit pretty hard physically.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Pay attention when you see the message "Closed for inventory" written in front of a locked door in the dungeon (unless you were killed in Mine Town, where kicking down any doors is generally a Bad Idea). This too was one of my first deaths in Nethack. And even when you do get early reflection or MR to resist the wand of striking, Shopkeepers still hit pretty hard physically.

It is worth noting though that if you can unlock the door in some fashion, the shopkeeper doesn't mind and you can buy/steal to your heart's content.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

stubblyhead posted:

It is worth noting though that if you can unlock the door in some fashion, the shopkeeper doesn't mind and you can buy/steal to your heart's content.

Do you actually have to unlock the door or would it be fine to teleport in/out?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

Do you actually have to unlock the door or would it be fine to teleport in/out?

I'm sure that would be fine too, but I must admit I've never actually tried. I don't think the "Closed for Inventory" message really does anything but create the shop with a locked door, and he'll get pissed at you any time you kick the door down.

rms
May 14, 2008

Computer illiterate
Or you can just pay 400 after kicking it down.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I was doing pretty well, it would appear that the game obviously thought I'd been too lucky so far and decided to do this:

:aaaaa:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

See if you can guess what happens here:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I was doing pretty well, it would appear that the game obviously thought I'd been too lucky so far and decided to do this:

Don't go down stairs 1) Burdened 2) wielding a *trice corpse

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I posted this in the last thread, but it didn't get noticed, so I might as well repost here.

I took the goon-made tileset linked in the OP and added goonier orcs to replace the vanilla pig looking ones. Just thought I might as well share. If random folks add one or two more each we might be able to eventually goonify the entire sprite sheet. Then we can assemble all of the additions, throw the result in a rar with a text file listing who did what, and we can all be internet stars. :allears:

http://files.filefront.com/kins32rar/;13450760;/fileinfo.html

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 12, 2009

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
How do I go about using the Kins' tileset?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ham Pants posted:

How do I go about using the Kins' tileset?

Open up the file defaults.nh
Find the line: OPTIONS=map_mode:tiles,scroll_margin:5
Directly before it add a new line that says: OPTIONS=tile_file:kins32.bmp, tile_width:32, tile_height:32
Put the bitmap in the folder and you're ready to go.

CAPTAIN DOOP
Sep 19, 2008

by The Finn
Here's another "Interested in starting this game" post.

I've played before, very briefly. Kept starving.

Can you guys give some hints for useful commands and such that a new guy might overlook? Also some things to pay attention to? I couldn't absorb all of the read me file.

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
Thanks alot man! It's working perfectly :woop:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

See if you can guess what happens here:

Haha what in the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Social Animal posted:

Haha what in the world?

1. (t)hrow a cockatrice corpse.
2. When asked for a direction, choose "up" (<).
3. Be wearing a helmet.

• Locked thread