Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Jabronie posted:

Also, id recommend commercial grade receptacles for any outlet that’s being plugged into a lot such as spots for vacuums or kitchen appliances. They’ll cost a little more but the springs will last longer.

Are you talking about the tamper resistant springs in particular?

I think I've personally been using them for some time because they're also just easier to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you talking about the tamper resistant springs in particular?

I think I've personally been using them for some time because they're also just easier to work with.

Tamper resistant or receptacles with TR stamped on them are just plastic shutters at the plug so a child doesn't stick a knife into a live conductor slot.
Commercial grade receptacles have a better grip over time so plugs won't fall out.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Commercial grade switches too. They have a good snap so you really turned them the gently caress off.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

corgski posted:

No, AFCI/CAFCI breakers do not include any GFCI protection whatsoever. AFCIs only trip on parallel arcs (intermittent shorts to netural/ground with arcing,) CAFCIs trip on parallel and series arcs (loose connections inline in a circuit.) Any modern "AFCI" breaker on the market is going to be a CAFCI.

You must use CAFCI+GFCI breakers (sometimes also called DFCI or "Dual Function") if you want protection for both arc faults and ground faults in your panel. This includes on any circuits where you have no equipment ground and you're using the GFCI method of bringing them up to code.

E:

You're describing dual function/DFCI, CAFCI has never meant ground fault protection.

kid sinister posted:

It is. Decades ago there were two types of AFCI breakers before they were combined into one. Then on top of that, there are dual function breakers, which add the two types of AFCI to GFCI.

Confused yet?

I sure am! But many thanks to both of you for pointing this out, I had assumed Combination was the same thing as Dual Function so you've dun gosh-darned larned me something today.

But it turns out I was correct in thinking that my breakers performed both functions as I installed the Square D PAFGF series - it's just that I should have referred to them as CAFCI / DF breakers, not solely CAFCI. (Slight oddity - I thought GFCI was supposed to trip at 5 mA and these say they trip at 6 mA).

I will never get over Schneider's insane MSRP vs street price - I bought these for around $35 each and that page lists them at $326.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 24, 2024

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have a rather long 15A circuit downstairs that serves the receptacles and lights in two rooms. Yesterday I needed to iron some clothes and ended up using an outlet near the end of the chain right before the lights of the room I was in. I noticed that the lights dimmed significantly when the iron kicked on and found that voltage was sagging from 121.5V to 106.2V with a 12.6A load. Not good!

Whoever last replaced the receptacles in my house liked to daisy chain them using both the back-stab and screw terminal. Is it likely that the backstabs are contributing significantly to the voltage drop and that replacing them with more secure connections would help, or is it probably just too many feet of 14/2?

Checking with a DMM the voltage seems to drop pretty smoothly along the length of the circuit, there's no sudden drop between two receptacles that would indicate a particularly lovely connection.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 30, 2024

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Shifty Pony posted:

I have a rather long 15A circuit downstairs that serves the receptacles and lights in two rooms. Yesterday I needed to iron some clothes and ended up using an outlet near the end of the chain right before the lights of the room I was in. I noticed that the lights dimmed significantly when the iron kicked on and found that voltage was sagging from 121.5V to 106.2V with a 12.6A load. Not good!

Whoever last replaced the receptacles in my house liked to daisy chain them using both the back-stab and screw terminal. Is it likely that the backstabs are contributing significantly to the voltage drop and that replacing them with more secure connections would help, or is it probably just too many feet of 14/2?

Checking with a DMM the voltage seems to drop pretty smoothly along the length of the circuit, there's no sudden drop between two receptacles that would indicate a particularly lovely connection.

This is just normal voltage drop from 14AWG wire and heavy load. Replacing the receptacles probably won't hurt anything, but voltage drop for a 120' run of 14AWG pulling 13A is 7.27%, or 106V.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This is just normal voltage drop from 14AWG wire and heavy load. Replacing the receptacles probably won't hurt anything, but voltage drop for a 120' run of 14AWG pulling 13A is 7.27%, or 106V.

I think you may be doubling the voltage drop from a chart or calculator that already doubles it to account for the return. 14 AWG copper wire has a resistance of 2.525Ω per 1000 feet, or 0.606Ω for 240' (120' out and back). At 13A that's gives a drop of ~7.9V for an expected 113.6V.

For it to be entirely from the cable there would have to be roughly 230' of 14/2 between the panel and the far outlet.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

It could be aluminum. Al will be almost double the resistance.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I want to add a 20a 120v circuit to the laundry room. Running a new wire would involve cutting holes in a finished ceiling, so I would prefer not to run a new wire.

I have an existing 8 gauge 240v wire (Black, Red, White) that runs from the breaker panel to the laundry room. This wire is hooked to a 50 amp breaker in the panel. It is not used for anything and the breaker is shut off. It terminates in a junction box in the laundry room.

Can I use the 8 gauge wire for my 20a circuit?

I would remove the 50 amp breaker and install a 20 amp breaker. I would then hook the Black wire from the 8ga wire to the 20 amp breaker. In the junction box in the laundry room I'd hook the 8 gauge wire to romex and run the romex to the 20amp outlets.

Is this permitted?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

I would remove the 50 amp breaker and install a 20 amp breaker. I would then hook the Black wire from the 8ga wire to the 20 amp breaker. In the junction box in the laundry room I'd hook the 8 gauge wire to romex and run the romex to the 20amp outlets.

Is this permitted?

Yes, but you need a 20A breaker that is rated for 8 gauge (not all are, whether you can find one or not depends on what flavor of breakers you need). The connection in the j-box needs to be appropriate as for the two different wire gauges involved (I'd probably default to split nuts there if there is sufficient space in that box).

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Yes, but you need a 20A breaker that is rated for 8 gauge (not all are, whether you can find one or not depends on what flavor of breakers you need). The connection in the j-box needs to be appropriate as for the two different wire gauges involved (I'd probably default to split nuts there if there is sufficient space in that box).

Couldn't you do split nuts at both ends?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devicenull posted:

Couldn't you do split nuts at both ends?

Yeah, that's a good point. Since the load center is an acceptable box you could absolutely split nut it down to 10 wire or whatever in there too.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

The blue Ideal wirenuts (454) are rated for 1 #8 and 1#12 to give another option.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The EV thread sent me over here with a couple questions on my electrical panel:

1) Is this 125A service? There is a 125A breaker in the middle of the panel, but it is unlabeled.

2) Is there a possibility to change the current 120V/20A circuit for the carport to 240V/20A (or better 240V/30A)? This would be to install a level 2 EVSE.

If so, would this panel need to be reworked or replaced? EV thread said there are potential code issues here. This is in CA, with PGE service.

I'm not planning to do any of my own electrical work, but it would be nice to have idea if this is a relatively minor job (new wiring/breaker for the carport), or major work (entirely new panel and/or utility service upgrade).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You are pretty much maxed out on that panel, every slot that can have a double breaker does.

Very likely panel upgrade time. There might be some incentives available to soften the blow.

Jabronie posted:

It could be aluminum. Al will be almost double the resistance.

Thankfully it is copper, although it does have undersized ground conductors. I'll probably just mentally mark those outlets as not usable for larger loads until I can split the circuit.

Also need to get a new DMM because my cheapish one is giving inconsistent readings when it switches measurement ranges.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

What was the point of Split boxes? We're they just cheaper? I have one, and I don't like the idea that I don't have a way to shut off the bus bars from the service. This rule of 6 stuff just reeks of post-hoc justification.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bone Crimes posted:

What was the point of Split boxes? We're they just cheaper? I have one, and I don't like the idea that I don't have a way to shut off the bus bars from the service. This rule of 6 stuff just reeks of post-hoc justification.

Split boxes are for having both line and low voltage in the same box, with the divider separating them.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Split boxes are for having both line and low voltage in the same box, with the divider separating them.

mine has 240v breakers on the lower section behind the 'main' breaker, so I'm not sure what you mean by low voltage.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
This could go into a few different threads but is there 24 or 48V landscape lighting? Everything I've seen is either 12V or line, which, fine but I have a really large yard.
I guess point sources have to standardize on something and it's not like in strip lighting where it's relatively easy to make strands compatible with higher voltages.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bone Crimes posted:

mine has 240v breakers on the lower section behind the 'main' breaker, so I'm not sure what you mean by low voltage.

You're calling something a "split box" that isn't. That's the confusion.

You have a main lug load center. You appear to be confused as to why it's not a main breaker style load center. I have no idea why so many california homes have that arrangement - main lug panels are typically used as subpanles in my area.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bone Crimes posted:

Then call it what it is, please. Split boxes are for devices. That's a breaker panel.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

You're calling something a "split box" that isn't. That's the confusion.

You have a main lug load center. You appear to be confused as to why it's not a main breaker style load center. I have no idea why so many california homes have that arrangement - main lug panels are typically used as subpanles in my area.

maybe I should have said split bus, or split bus panel. The breaker at 9&11turns off 13-24 and is one of the six main breakers to turn off all the power. There is no single main breaker to turn everything off. House and I assume the box is from the 1950s. I'm in Washington State.

All the sites I've found and my electrician referred to this as a "split bus box"

like here: https://schwab-electric.com/should-i-replace-my-split-bus-panel/

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

Hed posted:

This could go into a few different threads but is there 24 or 48V landscape lighting? Everything I've seen is either 12V or line, which, fine but I have a really large yard.
I guess point sources have to standardize on something and it's not like in strip lighting where it's relatively easy to make strands compatible with higher voltages.

The transformer you buy for landscape lighting should have guidelines like this:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hed posted:

There are 48V lights and stuff, but I don't know of any specific system to buy into. I went with a bunch of 12V strings and have a decent-sized box of 12V power supplies in it. The yard looks slightly less janky when just one string goes down instead of half the yard because the $9 power supply finally timed out.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

New market unlocked: POE landscape lighting

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

devicenull posted:

Unironically I’ve thought about doing this on a long run to RGBW a post with my house number in it.
The neighborhood kids would have a lot of fun bashing it in full color.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

devicenull posted:

https://poelightingusa.com/product/wilton/

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I’m moving our clothes dryer to the garage and I’m doing so moving the dryer’s 30A 240V service to a subpanel, so it’s new breaker time. I guess I could reuse the existing breaker but it’s god-knows-how-old so I’d rather not.

Does the breaker for a dryer in a garage need to be GFCI? My guess is yes but I’ve been finding conflicting information for dryers in general.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure that all circuits in garages need to be GFCI now.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

csammis posted:

Does the breaker for a dryer in a garage need to be GFCI? My guess is yes but I’ve been finding conflicting information for dryers in general.

Depends on what year NEC your state/city is on. 240V gfi protection came with the 2020 code and some states have exempted it even if they’re on 2020.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Blackbeer posted:

Depends on what year NEC your state/city is on. 240V gfi protection came with the 2020 code and some states have exempted it even if they’re on 2020.

Well that probably explains why I was finding conflicting information about it. My county follows NEC 2017 without any changes which concern garages or dryers.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm pretty sure that all circuits in garages need to be GFCI now.

Yeah, I remembered that after I posted and realized that it would likely be a catch-all.

Thanks!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Weren't garage ceiling outlets for garage door openers exempt for GFCIs? I know you can't mount a GFCI outlet there as it violates the accessibility rule.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You can still GFCI protect the outlet, either putting it downstream of a GFCI outlet or with a GFCI breaker.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Do induction ranges require any different wiring than a traditional electric range?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Do induction ranges require any different wiring than a traditional electric range?

Electricity is electricity. The internal wiring may be different, but the external wiring via the hookup is the same.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

The Slack Lagoon posted:

There are 40 and 50 amp models of both, so.... possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We currently have a gas range, but are getting a panel upgrade for a heat pump so I was asking the electrician if they could add an outlet for an electric stove. They asked if it was for a regular electric or an induction, and I figured the outlet would be the same - 14-50?