Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Hubis posted:

(although kind of hilarious in the case of a ceiling outlet)

The ceiling outlet (for a garage door opener) has to be tamper-resistant? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Safety Dance posted:

My best guess: Plastic box, switch on the right is installed correctly, switch on the left has hot and ground swapped.

I need to crosspost the hot chassis plug from the OSHA thread.

That's 120V, this one was 277V.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Screw-in LED bulb failure question:

When I had CFL bulbs, I once had a “smokey failure” where there was a burned spot on the plastic and a small amount of smoke. It wasn’t dangerous or catastrophic but it was disconcerting.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of failure on LED bulbs?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I was contacted by a colleague who wanted to know if this electrical panel looked like it had any problems or not. Unfortunately I rarely (basically never) work with small 120/240 or 120/208 panels like this. Here is the photo:

It’s not very pretty, but I’m not sure if there are any code violations here. You can tie ground wires to the neutral at the service box I believe. (I am trying to remember the way we did it on our low-voltage transformer secondaries.)

If anyone needs help on low (480/600V) voltage MCCs or medium-voltage (4160V, 6900V, 14kV) switchgear let me know.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 8, 2018

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
FEEDBACK FROM MY COLLEAGUE

I gave him your guys feedback, and first and foremost he is extremely appreciative. Here are his replies to a few comments/questions:

1. There is no sub breaker panel
2. All his appliances are gas, including the dryer
3. He has 220V for my main air conditioner

Good catch on the 220V loads. You need to have a yolked breaker specifically for those loads, you cannot use two 120V breakers on separate poles to feed a 220V load.

Similarity for three-phase systems you need a three-pole breaker for a three-phase loaf like a motor. You can’t use three separate breakers on phases A, B, and C.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 8, 2018