Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have three questions.

Just bought a new house, and plan to put in two new 20 amp circuits in the garage, half of which will become my new wood shop -- each will have outlets in parallel mounted above each other at 6' intervals (one circuit for the dust collector, which is by itself 15 amps; and one circuit for tool usage, because I plan on mounting shop lamps that'll run on the original garage circuit and I'm afraid of overloading that, especially if my wife were to happen to open the garage door while a saw is running). The garage has a sub panel with more than enough space (both physical and amperage -- the house has 200 amp service as well). I'm confident in my ability to wire the outlets in parallel, to mount conduit, fish the wire, etc. I'm all good on the basics.

My first question is: the panel is flush with the wall. I'll have to cut through the drywall to connect to the breaker box, of course. What type of connection do I use between the breaker box knockout and the surface of the wall to run the wire to the conduit? A tight elbow that buries an opening in the wall?

Second question: is PVC conduit my best option? Each run will be at chest height (best place for the outlets), be run between surface-mounted single-gang outlet boxes, be about 40' in total, has to run to the ceiling and back down to chest height at one point to 'dodge' a storage nook in the garage, and will be in a garage in the Seattle area (I.e., moist, never too cold and rarely too hot, and inside an attached garage with living space above and to one side for some heat/cooling transfer -- I know PVC can expand and contract in extreme weather).

Third, assuming I do use PVC conduit, it looks as though (NEC table C) I can run two 12/3 wires in a 1/2" piece of conduit. True? If so, it could save me some money/effort on conduit and just use Ts before/after the outlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU