Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuzalu
Jul 23, 2007
I have some questions about adding outlets to a circuit. My garage has at least three circuits in it. There is one that I want to add receptacles to. The circuit currently has one outlet (in a bad location that I don't use) and one light fixture on it. The receptacle box has the hot line coming in and it is pigtailed with one line going to the receptacle and one line going out to the light fixture.

Could I run another wire from this box to the location of my new receptacle?
If not, could I replace the current box with some kind of junction box that would allow me to take the hot wire and run one line to the light and the other to the new receptacle locations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuzalu
Jul 23, 2007
I got a spa over the weekend that will be located in the backyard. I need to run a line to the spa that is 50 amps and 220ish volts. The spa will be right next to the house and I am hoping to be able to run a line attached to the house from the breaker box to the spa. I know I need to have some kind of shut off switch near the spa. I don't know if this matters, but our AC unit has a 220v box near where the spa will be. I went to home depot and saw conduits that kind of looked like pvc pipe. Would this be the best option and what are some things I need to consider with running electrical outdoors? Is there a specific type of wire I need to use for outdoors? I have done some basic wiring inside but have never worked with 220 volts and never added a circuit to the breaker box.

tuzalu
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the responses. I have kind of a noob question about the breaker box. It is built into the house on the outside wall connected to the garage. In order to feed a new wire into it, will i need to cut into the drywall behind the breaker?