Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Would this work? Just googled 'lamp cord replacement'
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-8-ft-SPT-1-Gold-Cord-Set-7010500/206599201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I just moved into an older house - built around 1910. I put a space heater where the decommissioned fireplace is. I've noticed the lights in that room dim when the heater is on. Checking the voltage, I can see it dropping from around 120-122V -> 112-114V when the space heater is in use. Is it dangerous for me to be running this space heater? My house used to be knob and tube wiring, but has been updated at some point since 1910.

e: Also, can I realistically DIY adding electrical boxes? I'd like to add one to the front porch and one to the bathroom (bidet + heated towel rack). I'm a new homeowner and my knowledge of residential wiring is basically 0. I have an unfinished basement to run the wires through.

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 18, 2018

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I just had a new AC unit installed and my microwave makes a high pitched electronic buzzing sound whenever the AC unit runs (not the blower, specifically the outside AC unit). I've got the AC guy coming back out tomorrow to take a look at a separate duct issue, but wanted to know if anybody has experienced this before? It didn't happen with the old AC unit.

New AC unit is a fancy variable unit.

e: microwave is one of those panasonic inverter types that is recommended often in these forums.

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 9, 2019

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

I had to run ethernet from one room to another in my old house with a room in between the start and end point. It was a pretty easy task to just pop off the trim and run ethernet behind it, if you can't access walls from above or below. Here's the tool I used, didn't even damage the drywall or trim as long as PO didn't do anything crazy like screw in the trim.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-10-75-in-Metal-Moulding-Pry-Bar/5000174395

If this sounds helpful, there's tons of videos online about running wiring behind baseboards.

E: oh yea, you would need a trim nailer to put the trim back on.

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 11, 2024

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yea, there's plenty of ways to run wires - just a question of which one is easiest and will look good enough.

Not sure what you mean by vent in the way, though. The cord can run along the 2x4s right below where the drywall ends. No modification of the 2x4s in the wall needed. Maybe I'm not picturing it correctly.