Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I just replaced my ceiling fan. It has a globe light fixture. I want to use a smart bulb but I can't find a smart bulb that is both rated for enclosed fixtures and the right size to fit through the opening in the globe, but not a candelabra shape/base. I have a replacement light kit that I got second-hand but the connectors are different.

This is the existing fixture:

This is the new light kit:

If there is a smart bulb, not much bigger than A19, that will work in an enclosed fixture, I'm happy. If I can get a new fixture that will have the same connector, that's good too, or if it's simple to re-wire (nothing much harder than stripping a wire and using a wire nut) I'm happy with that also. I don't want to burn the house down, but I also really don't want to have the electricians who hung all my lights come back again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
The existing kit looks like this:

I should also clarify that I'm looking for one of the fancy programmable color-change bulbs. The white ones that tick the boxes are readily available.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

shame on an IGA posted:

Have you tested it with a Philips Hue bulb yet

I have a Hue up now; I bought it without measuring the globe opening and it won't fit (it's floodlight shaped, but it was all I could find that was enclosure-rated).

I'm trying to look this up myself but I'm getting nowhere - is there a replacement for just the globe that is open or at least vented? I cannot be the only person doing this. This must be a solved problem. Right?

Edit to note that right now I have just a bare bulb and I don't hate it, but I'd like something to diffuse the light and that doesn't blind me when I look up. So, I'm not looking for function over fancy.

Some table and floor lamps have a shade that just has a wheel-and-spoke arrangement on one end, and the hub ring of the shade goes around the bulb socket and just hangs a bit over the bulb. Is there any reason not to do that?

Second edit: Is something like this a fire or other hazard of some kind?

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Shade-Light-Cover-Exposed/dp/B09PGL8NRW/

Hungry Squirrel fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 3, 2024