Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nwin posted:

I installed this switch in my bathroom maybe 3 weeks ago and tonight it seems like it failed. I tested the wires and they’re still hot. No breaker is tripped because the outlets in the bathroom still work. Not a gfci issue.

The only thing I didn’t check since it’s 9 pm was removing the switch and putting in the old switch to verify it’s a bad switch.

Does a faulty switch seem likely or could I be missing something else?

Model #002-DHD05-1LW

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton...5-1LW/322925920

I have the same switch. Installed it about six weeks ago and mine failed, too. Yesterday. Report it to home depot. May be a recall! Maybe we can get our money back or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I have this coming out of the wall and going to my garbage disposal. Doesn't seem correct to not have it secured somehow and its unfortunate it comes out between the two water valves. What should I do? Having that be an outlet for the disposal seems like the norm these days right? I'm not sure how I feel about putting an outlet there so close to the water but I don't really want to move it if I don't have to. Is it ok having one there?
Surface-mount weatherpoof box, MC Connector, weatherproof faceplate with GFCI outlet. Done. You don't have to use the big plastic cover on the box. This is just to prevent any major drips from shorting out the back of the outlet. Seal the box to the wall with silicone of your choice, and seal around the connector with silicone if it makes you happy.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I also have 3 feet of romex coming out of the wall in the dishwasher cavity going straight into the dishwasher. I don't believe you're supposed to put an outlet box there for the dishwasher and that I should have it in an adjacent box. Can I just run the romex through a hole into the side of the box? The new dishwasher going in has a junction box or a normal plug so it can get wired either way. Kinda prefer the plug. Should I run it through some sort of conduit I can secure to the wall?

If there's enough room to slide the dishwasher back, surface-mount metal box with a Romex connector. If there's not, use a cut-in box with integral clamp and be 100% done with the whole thing. No requirement for a GFCI here, but it is not atypical to have this circuit be fed by an accessible GFCI outlet upstream.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Shifty Pony posted:

Counterpoint: after closing but before move in is the ideal time to do a service and panel upgrade because it won't disrupt your life any to be without power.

If you do get a service upgrade, you should only be without power for half a day. Usually, the new service is built while the old one is energized and once inspected and approved, the swap is done. PoCo pulls the meter and fuses, does the swap, and re-energizes all with the same crew at the same time. If your house shares a transformer with some neighbors, chat with them about getting service upgrades at the same time. The process takes longer, but the PoCo is MUCH more willing to do 2-5 houses at once than 1.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Main thing is that I think I'd want to do the panel upgrade and the buried line at the same time, but I don't want to bury the line until I know what permanent structures I'd want to build in the lot...unless I can convince the poco to run the wire around the perimeter of the lot or something. But yes, before move-in is the ideal time to do major work on the place.

If you want to do the trench yourself and have them lay the cable in, that's also fine. You wanna run around the perimeter? No worries; they'll charge you for the cable used.

The burial depth rules specify the MINIMUM cover (the shallowest your trench can be), so everyone goes that depth because digging sucks. But there's nothing stopping you from putting your cable as deep as you want so that any structure you build won't hit it unless you need L-shaped foundations. Normal burial depth is 24", but if you're digging the trench and your trencher goes down to 48", go hog wild.

As far as the panel upgrade and service upgrade, it makes sense to do it at the same time, but that's not required. A panel upgrade follows basically the same path. The new panel is installed and any new circuits are run and the whole thing is set up to be swapped somewhat rapidly. It's inspected and approved, then the PoCo pulls the meter. The electricians do the swap, it's inspected, and then the PoCo puts the meter back in. If your electricians are any good and can get their scheduling correct, this all happens same-day (meter first AM, inspection by lunch, meter reinstall afternoon); frequently, it's a two- or three-day process (meter pull and the swap, inspection next day, reconnect day after). Again, if the scheduling all lines up, the PoCo could be doing their service outage and the electricians can do the panel swap and get the inspection all on one day, but there's nothing saying these processes can't happen at different times. The meter-pulling folks at the PoCo are typically not the ones doing service upgrades, so they may not even be the same crew.

tl,dr: of the previous paragraph: Can do them both at once, but that's not required.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Federal Pioneer is not immediately scary. Federal Pacific Electric is the danger one.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

H110Hawk posted:

You could also convert the 1 gang to a 2 gang box and just gfci the second one as protection for the downstream stuff and don't gfi the fridge. Or put a standalone gfi in its own box somewhere.

Or the breaker as mentioned.

This is the best plan. Any of these options.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LimaBiker posted:

The philosophy here is that there need to be multiple failure points before it gets dangerous. For instance: before we had a gfci for our washing machine (located in the bathroom) it suffered from a burning out motor or heating element. It smelled like hell, and because apparently the grounding had failed, there now was voltage on the metal bits and my mother got shocked. She was fine but it scared her a lot.
The repair guy later measured it and it was about half the mains voltage Normally, the ground would have prevented the metal parts from becoming live.
There was still some ground connection to pull it down to 110v, but not enough to blow the fuse or to keep voltage at a safe level.

In a modern installation, A gfci would have tripped either when touching the live parts (they trip within half a cycle, really quick) or with whatever leakage current still made its way to earth through the shoddy ground connection. It would also have tripped the millisecond it started burning out too badly preventing the horrid stench (and dramatically lowering the fire hazard if the washer was located elsewhere where there are more flamable materials around).

In industrial settings there is so much leakage current from heavy duty RFI filters that it's impossible to effectively use gfcis there. Much more focus is given to bonding everything together with thiccc grounding straps.

So the thing in your panel you're calling a "GFCI" is probably an RCD. GFCIs are designed to prevent damage to humans by tripping at <6mA of current imbalance. RCDs detect residual current leakage and have trip ratings from 30-300mA. In the US, those would be called GFPE. GFPEs are required in the US for any 1000A or greater service (in general).

The US doesn't really need RCDs because we don't run ring mains and the code to have really robust grounding has been in effect for long enough that the grounding and bonding of our electrical equipment is sufficient to trip the breaker if a fault condition occurs.
The fact that most electrical equipment has one live conductor and one intentionally grounded conductor (the neutral) PLUS an additional BACKUP grounding conductor means that case-energizing faults are more than normally difficult. Even on 240V equipment, it is exceptionally rare to have something installed within the last couple of decades that doesn't have a very good ground connection, plus probably the neutral wire in the plug.

That said, GFPEs at 30-100mA are common for some pieces of equipment: water heaters (in some places), sump pumps, and other things that have electricity and water only barely separated, but aren't human-facing.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LimaBiker posted:

There are many names for them. Aardlekschakelaar, differentieel etc etc. Not.to be confused with an aardwachter, which only measures leakage but doesn't interrupt. That's what you might find in industrial settings here.

When you say "here," where do you mean? What is your standard plug? For most appliances, is one terminal of that plug deliberately earth-referenced within the building?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm curious what kind of torque screwdrivers professional electricians would carry around. The EVSE I'm getting says that the wires should be torqued to 1.2 Newton-Meters, which comes out to about 10 inch-pounds. I also for the heck of it looked what the torque rating is on a QO breaker, and that was 50 inch-pounds. I found a torque screwdriver at Home Depot that does 8-40 inch-pounds, and another at Menards that does 10-80 inch-pounds. First of all, 1.2 Newton-Meters seems like an absurdly low torque value. But I'm wondering what kind of torque range a pro would keep in their toolbox. I'm guessing that the torque needed on the service cables is higher than either of those tools can provide, so there probably isn't a "one size fits all" tool that they can use in all cases.

Professional electricians don't carry torque screwdrivers. They have digital 1/4"-drive torque adapters.

But mostly, they get the "this is 50in-lbs" single-setting torque screwdrivers from the supply house and throw them away when they're busted. Same with the 1.2N*m. Just get a single-value from the supply house and throw it away when it's junk.

The point of these torque values is to say "DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN" with some specific numbers on. If you say "10 in-lb" then a good electrician knows that's just past finger tight. 50 in-lb is snug. 20ft-lb is really tight. Anything that actually requires real "you're gonna need a torque wrench" torque will have big warnings on it or a tech bulletin or something.

I can't find any of the screwdrivers now. They're really cheap (like $3 each) and have a flimsy plastic shank that deflects when you hit torque. Everyone had one so when the inspector showed up, you could say "yeah, I used this" even if it were obvious it had never seen a screw.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Shifty Pony posted:

I've only ever seen torque screwdrivers consistently used when I was working in a semiconductor fabrication plant.

When a pieces of equipment can be a couple hundred million bucks, processes several billion dollars worth of material in a month, and can have a failure modes with a "radius of complete destruction"... you get meticulous.

I used a torque screwdriver on every fastener for helicopter rotor tip caps. You're spinning a titanium screw into an aluminum block to fasten a piece of stainless steel. Get ANY of the forces wrong and you gall threads, create corrosion, and the tip cap comes flying off (in flight). I also used a torque wrench for every fastener on the gearbox-mounted generator, since a new gearbox flange cost more than every car and house I'd ever lived in, and I was terrified of breaking off a stud or bolt or nut.

So by the time I got to do electrical work for residential and commercial, I had a pretty solid lock on what N inch-pounds was, where N was between 10 and 150.

Then I got to work in a place with a ton of antennas that were SMA and there was a big thing that said "DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN" on the front panel. I was there to replace the unit because someone had used a wrench on the connectors and broken them all. Included in the box was a 3.5in-lb torque wrench. 3.5 in-lb is light enough that you could absolutely damage a connector hand-tightening it with your fingers if you had a strong grip.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

right arm posted:

wired the 50 amp inlet (in the dark lol) for my generator so that my wife doesn’t have to run extension cords this weekend while it’s 2° and the power inevitably goes out lol

ran my 3ton AC just fine while the water heater was going and then the furnace (ng) after shut the AC down

gently caress generac, all my homies hate generac :D

Yeah. Generac guys came out to replace one of my powerlink modules. Said everything was good to go. Power was out for 10 hours yesterday and the battery didn't kick in. Wife called Generac. "Your system isn't on the internet, we can't do anything."

Yeah, guys. We know. The cell phone towers only have power for four hours after an outage. We're calling you on 1g voice-only because that saves battery....

I shouldn't have gone with Generac.

Shifty Pony posted:

And buttoned up for the future:

General question If I were to replace my no-name DMM with something better what would be a decent one to get for use around the house and for minor hobby/automotive stuff? Fluke 117?

Write the circuit number on top, too. SUPER helpful later. For DMM, anything autoranging at a big-box store is better than HF. I have an Ideal and a Greenlee, as well as a Fluke, and a cubic foot of HF meters (half digital, half moving-coil). The HF meters are sprinkled everywhere in vehicles, garage, etc, kinda like lighters. If you find one and it works, bonus. If not, no loss.

I know exactly where the Fluke and Ideal are. Greenlee stays in the tool pouch. I'm 80% sure the Greenlee and Ideal product lines are made in the same factory and wear different colored plastic skins.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 12, 2024

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

H110Hawk posted:

What a loving joke. This is why I ostensibly want my system not to have internet access. "Oh, no, I don't have wifi at my house. Sorry." Is there literally no local troubleshooting they could walk you through?

My wife was checking settings and stuff on the inverters and the guy just couldn't work out how to get to where he needed to be in his script without checking the settings himself in his little app onscreen. Fundamental inability for the tech support guy to actually know what's going on instead of following the script.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The reason I went with Generac is because I worked with their industrial power stuff and it was ROCK SOLID and had amazing customer support and technical help.

I think the consumer division of Generac is a completely separate company wearing the skin as a suit.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Faustian Bargain posted:

hello, i’m back with more questions!

last time, we discovered that some parts of a 20a circuit were run with 14 instead of 12. happy to report that i reran these successfully. thanks for the help.

while i was in the attic and have the wall open, i found a run that only powers 3 gfci outlets that are all currently unused, so i split off to add my 2new outlets (1 gfci, one regular on the load) on the same wall.

next: there are 4 of these in my ceiling: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lithonia-Lighting-LED-Strip-Light-Actual-48-in-x-2-62-in-x-2-16-in/1000704806

these are wired to three prong plugs, plugged into outlets, through conduit, into a work box where they are tied to the 3 way switch. i want to get rid of the conduit and plugs and just wire them. there are knockouts in the top of the light fixture, but what does that transition into the attic look like? do i need to get a box for each or is it just a hole in the drywall big enough for strain relief into the frame, which is grounded?

also: these switches are only rated for 15 amps, but googling suggests this is fine because the load will not exceed 15a for the lights. is this correct or should i just upgrade them to 20a?

Hole in the drywall for the cable clamp is fine.

NEC 404.14 posted:

(A) Alternating-Current General-Use Snap Switch. A form of general-use snap switch suitable only for use on ac circuits for controlling the following:
(1) Resistive and inductive loads not exceeding the ampere rating of the switch at the voltage applied
(2) Tungsten-filament lamp loads not exceeding the ampere rating of the switch at 120 volts
(3) Motor loads not exceeding 80 percent of the ampere rating of the switch at its rated voltage
(B) Alternating-Current or Direct-Current General-Use Snap Switch. A form of general-use snap switch suitable for use on either ac or dc circuits for controlling the following:
(1) Resistive loads not exceeding the ampere rating of the switch at the voltage applied.
(2) Inductive loads not exceeding 50 percent of the ampere rating of the switch at the applied voltage. Switches rated in horsepower are suitable for controlling motor loads within their rating at the voltage applied.
... snip ...
(F) Cord- and Plug-Connected Loads. Where a snap switch or control device is used to control cord- and plug-connected equipment on a general-purpose branch circuit, each snap switch or control device controlling receptacle outlets or cord connectors that are supplied by permanently connected cord pendants shall be rated at not less than the rating of the maximum permitted ampere rating or setting of the overcurrent device protecting the receptacles or cord onnectors, as provided in 210.21(B).

So, you're fine with putting a 15A switch as long as your load is considered inductive or resistive and less than 15A, and just plain fine as long as your load is <7A otherwise. IF you kept the plugs and outlets, then you'd be REQUIRED to have a 20A switch!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

right arm posted:

just get an extension cord for the furnace to run to the gen. you can probably fit it under the weatherstripping for the door. I ran mine through my cat door as a test before I wired my interlock and inlet since I wasn’t sure if my ng meter would feed both my 13000w gen and my furnace

make sure it’s a 20amp cord and you can save yourself both $120 for the switch and $$$ for having an electrician install it

This is precisely what I was going to recommend.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Extant Artiodactyl posted:

new england, we use external cutoffs above the furnace that go at 165 degrees
and toggle switches located at the top of the stairs, outside the crawl space, outside the garage etc
once again i am learning that things are very local when it comes to heating...

I have never seen a setup like this before. It's always interesting learning new things about how localities make everything far more complicated than strictly necessary. Once again proving that the code is a minimum to be added to, not a target to try to achieve.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Shifty Pony posted:

The closed up box shares a stud bay with another light switch on the other side of the wall and there's enough space between that old metal box, and the drywall to slip a boroscope through, so I ordered cheap WiFi one off Amazon and I'll see what's going on in there.
You could also just put a blank cover on the j-box and paint it to match.

I've had to do that a few times in my house and they really do become invisible. I never notice them anymore.
Yeah. Get the hammer, open the box, see what's inside, and put a blank on when you're done.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

That looks completely amazing. Well done. The marks on all the home runs and the cable markers are :discourse:.

Cut all the cable ties off in six months after the cables have formed to their own shape.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

H110Hawk posted:

Have a laptop with a video camera? Setup your meter on a zoom call. Join it from your phone. Unplug things and watch it go until it auto shuts off and you have to go turn the meter back on.

This is brilliant.

Shifty Pony posted:

Also you might want to check the water main coming in to make sure the previous owner didn't install some stupid magic "treatment" device that is applying current to the water.

This is something so crazy I never would have thought of it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

KKKLIP ART posted:

I am not sure if this is quite the right place to ask this question but since it deals with electricity and I don’t want to burn my place down, here it goes:
I have a cheap led light that is powered by 2 AAA batteries that I would like to instead see if I could power off of USB. Are there any legit battery replacement options?

Is something like this legit?

Those are legit. I use USB-rechargeable AAA batteries, but if you want to put a cord in there, something like that works fine.

The Electronics Thread might also have some other options.

The easiest solution (and 100% not recommended, but I've done it before) is just cut the end off of a USB charge-only cable and attach red and black to + and - inside the case and be done with it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I just replaced my ceiling fan. It has a globe light fixture. I want to use a smart bulb but I can't find a smart bulb that is both rated for enclosed fixtures and the right size to fit through the opening in the globe, but not a candelabra shape/base. I have a replacement light kit that I got second-hand but the connectors are different.

This is the existing fixture:

Post the wiring of the existing fixture on the lighting side. You're going to be connecting the black and white wires of your new kit to exactly two of the wires you see there and putting wire nuts on the other two. Just can't tell which for certain from the current pictures.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Looks like the on/off switch with speed control for the fan is down there in the light unit. That's annoying.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

H110Hawk posted:

That is super fun. :stare:

Why is it wrong? Are they... inducing loads in each other?

Yup.

NEC posted:

300.3 (B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted....

Having two phases in one pipe and one phase in the other meant that the pipes themselves had significant induced current, especially at the ends.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'll freely admit that a nontrivial portion of the motivation here is a basically-irrational desire to have the best network connection possible. Gotta get my ping down for all those competitive videogames I don't play!

But also, this is a natural location for a wifi node. I don't see why I couldn't have both that and a hardwired connection for my PC, off of the same wall plate.

I presume the requirement for raceway is for looks? Because just running the cable tucked into the corner of the ceiling and using a cable color that's reasonably close to the paint color is fine. There's no code requirements for ethernet because it's low-voltage. So there's nothing REQUIRING conduit/raceway/literally anything at all.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Been having a bunch of equipment installed at work. Reinstalled, actually. We had some equipment that we were using, then took it out, and now are putting it back.

The people who demo'd it out, took out the wire from the disconnect to the unit. No worries. Well, some worries.

Because they only pulled out the neutrals and grounds, and left all the phases.

SO the electricians come to wire it up, and think to themselves "hey, there's no ground here, better run one." So they run one from the disconnect. The equipment is cord-and-plug connected, and the cord is 5w (3ph + neutral + gnd). Anyway, we get the thing hooked up and turn it on and the panel lights are going crazy. The neutral is ONLY for some indicator lights on the panel, which are now floating between 208 and 0V depending on ?????. We shut it off, figure out that that tiny tiny tiny lug is for neutral, and everything's good. Just very confusing. It's a 200A 3phase 5w cord with big 1/4" lugs for the phases and ground yet a #6 lug for the neutral. Engineers figured it's only 200mA max on the lights, no need for a full-size lug for all of that. Ok guys, then how are we supposed to land the #0 wire that comes in the premade cord? Split bolts, apparently.

Other fun thing was the attached picture. A new piece of equipment was shipped with the motor incoming power leads all landed on the shorting bar instead of on, like, the incoming phase lugs. This made the motor starter unhappy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I have seen lugs listed with crazy wire ranges. like:
10-19 #18
6-16 #16
6-14 #14
4-10 #12
2-8 #10
1-4 #8
1-4 #6
1-2 #4
1 #2
1 #1
1 #0
1 #00

Not for sale recently, though. Pretty sure they were Westinghouse lugs.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Shifty Pony posted:

I have a rather long 15A circuit downstairs that serves the receptacles and lights in two rooms. Yesterday I needed to iron some clothes and ended up using an outlet near the end of the chain right before the lights of the room I was in. I noticed that the lights dimmed significantly when the iron kicked on and found that voltage was sagging from 121.5V to 106.2V with a 12.6A load. Not good!

Whoever last replaced the receptacles in my house liked to daisy chain them using both the back-stab and screw terminal. Is it likely that the backstabs are contributing significantly to the voltage drop and that replacing them with more secure connections would help, or is it probably just too many feet of 14/2?

Checking with a DMM the voltage seems to drop pretty smoothly along the length of the circuit, there's no sudden drop between two receptacles that would indicate a particularly lovely connection.

This is just normal voltage drop from 14AWG wire and heavy load. Replacing the receptacles probably won't hurt anything, but voltage drop for a 120' run of 14AWG pulling 13A is 7.27%, or 106V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hed posted:

This could go into a few different threads but is there 24 or 48V landscape lighting? Everything I've seen is either 12V or line, which, fine but I have a really large yard.
I guess point sources have to standardize on something and it's not like in strip lighting where it's relatively easy to make strands compatible with higher voltages.

There are 48V lights and stuff, but I don't know of any specific system to buy into. I went with a bunch of 12V strings and have a decent-sized box of 12V power supplies in it. The yard looks slightly less janky when just one string goes down instead of half the yard because the $9 power supply finally timed out.