Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a projector, and I'm done with using Wiremold for the power.

I don't know if what I'd like to do is legal, but there are "kits" for what I'm doing, but I'm not going to use a kit.
I'd like to have a power outlet on the ceiling near the projector, the power will be a run of Romex through the attic, then down a wall and terminate as an inlet near my AV equipment. It will not tie into an existing power source. I need to run an inlet at the wall so I can plug my UPS into it to power the projector, or simply have the option to bridge it from a nearby power outlet to the inlet. What I'm doing looks legal and to code as they sell kits like I mentioned for wall mounted tv's HERE. But a kit won't work due to the length of my run. I already purchased the inlet and outlets, the plastic boxes, Romex, and Romex staples. I've looked around at the NEC code, and my cable run will be more than 6 feet away from the entrance, my attic does not have a ladder. Am I correct that I should be able to run this parallel to the joists, staple every 4 1/2 feet, and staple 8" from the box and call it good? I'm in California if that changes anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

kid sinister posted:

Just because it's for sale doesn't mean that it's code legal (see: cheater plugs). The rule that would violate is that extension cords aren't allowed for permanent use. The code book sees such circumstances as requiring a permanent outlet. Also, those "kits" you refer to with "inlets" actually use romex between the entrance and exit, which usually isn't included. They also typically don't include tamper proof outlets which are required now almost everywhere, but I'm pretty sure that there's an exception for ceiling outlets.

If you're in the attic, then you should have access to all of the wiring and ceiling boxes up there. You should be able to get constant power off at least one of those, which would be completely code legal. Look for ceiling boxes with at least 2 cables going into them.

Edit: I had to go back and reread NEC 400. That kit SAYS that it's code compliant, at least the in wall portion. However, 400.8 specifically says that flexible cords must not be used as substitutes for the fixed wiring of a structure. In that case, even if the in-wall portion of their diagram is up to code (which their diagram claims to be), the extension cord itself that you plugged in to power that in-wall portion would be against code.

I just read 400, it looks like they mean to not run a flexible cord out of a box or something similar, in wall, etc. Since the romex will terminate into the inlet, that is the permanent part. Extension cord plugging into the inlet is not classified as permanent or a replacement of permanent from what I can tell.
Under permitted use:

quote:

Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connections [422.16], but only when used with attachment plugs [400.7(B)].
Wouldn't this fit?
I could easily pull power from a box in the attic, but then that defeats the purpose of being able to run a UPS to the projector.

edit: I also took a look at PowerBridge's website (note, im not using their kit or any kit, just using their idea).

quote:

? What is the PowerBridge PowerConnect cord used for...
PowerBridge kits include one 6-foot length heavy-duty power-connect cord to plug into the existing power outlet or surge protector then plugged directly into the PowerIN wall plate.
This is NOT a "fixed wiring substitute" use of an extension cord, as it can be unplugged easily at anytime, no different than plugging and unplugging any appliance or cord from an existing outlet.
The supplied power-connect cord is NOT installed within the wall of the structure.

:shrug: So whats up?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 8, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Well hot drat! Now I just need to know if a UPS is legal with the setup. Is the NEC priamry an exclusionary document or inclusion document?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Both. In general, if you can't find something about your specific device in the 400s, then you look at your cable in the 300s and see if the use is prohibited or allowed. So that outlet/inlet thing is in the 400s (400.7a) being a specific type of equipment that is now allowed. Before this, the only thing you'd have was the exclusions about flexible cables there, or something saying inlets are prohibited in their section (406). Other than that, if you can do it with romex (334), MC/AC (330/320) wiremold (376/378), etc, then it's fine.

Note that that 400.7(A)(11) usage says that the whole wiring method must be a listed assembly, so just plugging a UPS into it isn't automatically golden. You'd have to get the inlet, (single) receptacle, and extension cord as a listed assembly (kit). I think it'd be pretty badass to find one of those kits listed with "owner-suppled" romex as the "chapter 3 wiring method".

The inlet and outlets that I bought were a pair, and while I thought they were not a kit, apparently they are a "kit" as it comes with the required extension cable. But it is setup to roll your own romex. I'll post the link when I can get to a computer. So what I got is a "listed assembly"

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Midlite-A46-W-D%C3%A9cor-Recessed-Receptacle/dp/B002KF438I?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 9, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Crazy for sure.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The only troll is the one who's been wrong, which is you.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you. You just came off as a bit abrasive, and you could have told me to gently caress off at that point, but I see you actually care. The inlet and outlets have been installed, romex ran, I used romex nails kept everything away from sharp things, overall I think I did a better job than what was up there. At one point I had to cross over another romex wire perpendicularly. Is that ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I wasn't going to install anything not to code, I wan't hell bent, I was being persistent and waiting for a second opinion.