Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Human Cow posted:

I'm stumped. I bought a Lutron Maestro MS-OPS2 - this one and an LED light - this one for a closet. Everything worked well for a couple of days, and then the light would be super dim when it came on:

I thought the light had burned out, so I bought a different dimmable LED fixture and hooked it up, but it did the same thing. I assumed that the switch had died, so I bought a new switch and installed it, but the same thing is happening. Does anybody have any ideas or things I can try? I can hear the switch click when I walk into the room, and the light turns on and off like it's supposed to, but it never gets any brighter than that photo.

Have you tried with an incandescent bulb? The Lutron stuff that has "no neutral required" is super picky with LED bulbs (at least the Caseta stuff is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mimesweeper posted:

It's a little more tine in labor but we even twist the joints with pliers first to make sure there's plenty of rock-solid copper to copper under the nut. It does make it a little annoying if you have to take things apart and rework it but if you leave enough slack in the box you can just snip out the twisted section and start over with clean straight wire.

This is what I do at home and my house has not burned down yet. I also throw a little electrical tape around it.

What are those cleaver style clamps called?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

shame on an IGA posted:

the ones rabbitwizard posted? Those are the Wago 221, available in 2, 3 and 5-place models

Awesome thanks. Now I am curious to try some.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have a ton of Lutron Caseta dimmers at home, older place with no neutrals. They work great for the most part. Some lovely LEDs will flicker when turning on or flash full bright.

No regrets still.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah, there's a crossbar. I could see the wood behind the box, 4 woodscrews holding it in. I appreciate the lookin' out :)

Boo, hiss.

I have a mystery blockoff plate on a vaulted (14') ceiling. One of these evenings we will fire up the multimeter and find out what switches are trying of party.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So I have a question.

I have an electric dryer that randomly trips the breaker, maybe a few times a month. Doing a little digging, I believe this is setup wrong.

This place was built in the early 1960s.

Front of panel:

Insides:

Dryer outlet:

The 40a breaker in the bottom right drives the dryer outlet directly below the panel. Everything I am reading says this should be 30a, that correct? Replace that breaker with a 30a.

The 50a breaker in the top right is for our electric oven/range. That has never been an issue.

My feed from the electric company (comes straight through the block wall, right below the breakers), then ties in on the right side of the panel) doesn't have a main cut off. I'm guessing I have to follow this guy to find my main cut off, as there should be one between where my meter is and my panel, correct?

Just trying to wrap my head around how this shithole is wired.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Nevets posted:

Yeah, if the outlet is only rated for 30 amps you shouldn't have a breaker over 30 amps feeding it. Double check you dryer doesn't actually need more than 30 amps before replacing it though. Somebody may have swapped out the dryer cord and outlet in the past so don't rely on them to tell you the current draw of the dryer. Replacing the breaker may get rid of the nuisance tripping too if the old breaker was going bad.

Yeah, its a 10-30R receptacle for the dryer. I am hoping that replacing that older 40a breaker will solve the tripping issues (hopefully its just crappy due to its age) as well as bring it to code/make it safer.

Here is a pic of what the dryer needs. The back specifically says 30a.

Looking at Lowe's, I believe this breaker is an exact replacement, minus 10 amps.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-D-Qo-30-Amp-2-Pole-Standard-Trip-Circuit-Breaker/3135067

Nevets posted:

Should be, yes, but I think it wasn't always a requirement in the past so possibly not.

Awesome, I'll check outside near the meter tomorrow for a disconnect that feeds my panel. It's a townhome block, but we are billed by unit for electric, so hopefully I can find mine without powering down random neighbors units.

My town currently uses the 2014 National Electric Code, but god knows how many outdated things I have here that will be violations if they get touched.

Thanks!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Yeah, I've always been under the assumption that single pole breakers are 120v and double pole 240v.

Unsure how this dryer would work on a 120v 30a outlet, that would only provide 3600w. It's a Samsung DV42H5200EF if anyone cares to explain.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my breaker fun.

Swapped the old 40a breaker out with a new 30a one. Hasn't tripped yet. I did have a main disconnect out near our block of meters for our town house. Oddly enough it was only a 60a breaker in there.

I am learning to love the joys of buying a place built in the early 60s.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Lutron Castea dimmers don't need a neutral. That's what I ended up with after a lot of research and a old lovely townhome with block walls.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

B-Nasty posted:

Halo is one of the best brands for these types of lights, since they claim a CRI of 90, and they are generally compatible with quality dimmers. They're also UL listed and made by a major brand (Eaton.)

The ones you want to avoid are the Amazon specials right off the China boat.

poo poo, I've been looking at these for a while.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FFPYWHJ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_L1IhEbAVVDGGK

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Based off recent conversation, which one of you started this new "challenge"?

https://abc7chicago.com/outlet-challenge-could-cause-fire-serious-injury/5869905/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Toebone posted:

Old plaster and lathe. 1830s house; I want to add a light switch for sconces and I'm sure I'm going to find wonderful things when I poke a hole and look inside.

Don't waste money on anything fancy. Drill/cut in and get it over with.

My shithole from the 1960s is a mystery. You have a world of fun.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So I am trying to wrap my head around a work wiring/power setup. I have been digging down the rabbit hole but am a little lost

I have a 20a 208v 3 phase outlet. The receptacle is a Hubble (non-NEMA) HBL2510 pictured below. How is this different from a NEMA L18-20R?

From my research, each of those phases to neutral delivers 120v. That is what our current PDUs do out of these outlets. 3 phase 208v in - a bunch of 120v outlets across all 3 phases out.

I am searching for new PDU that can take this 208v 3 phase in, and ideally give us some 240v outlets (C19). I do not believe this is possible without a transformer.

The new equipment says it can operate on with an input voltage of 180v - 265v.

What would the ideal solution here be? I was hoping we could just have the Hubble receptacles swapped out for something different, then slap in PDUs that have some C19 208v outlets and everyone is happy?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Holy hell, thanks for all the fast responses.

So is the current outlet identical to the L21-20R?

So in theory, this PDU would with a L21-20P would work?

https://www.tripplite.com/5.7kw-3-phase-metered-pdu-208-120v-outlets-21-5-15-20r-6-l6-20r-l21-20p-6ft-cord-0u-vertical-taa~PDU3MV6L2120B

That would give me 6x L6-20R per PDU, then "normal" 5-15/20R as well.

I could just get some different power cords for the equipment, since they come with C19.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Motronic posted:

I mean....sure, that will work. Is there any reason you chose THAT PDU rather than one that has the outputs you actually want on it? Do you even need 120v at all?

Yeah, 120v would likely get used in the future and all of the power cords for the "normal" stuff we just use 5-15/20 instead of C13.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Motronic posted:

Okay, but there exist PDUs that can be configured to have the C20s on them rather than looking for some oddball power cords for machines.

I've never seen a reasonable installation with a PDU that has any kind of 5-15Rs or twist lock outlets on it. Racks, clearances, power cables that are normally shipped, etc are basically assuming C14 and/or C20 on the PDU. If you really need a standard 120v outlet that is typically accomplished with a C13 to 5-15R cable. Almost nothing needs this, other than some annoying power bricks which is exactly why you want the jumper cable adapter to deal with them. And, to be honest I haven't seen a wall wart like that in the last decade that didn't also take 110-240v at 50-60Hz. meaning it's hard to imagine why you would need that 120v. And even if you do you almost definitely don't want it in the form of a 5-15R.

Maybe you have an odd setup, but I'm just providing a perspective from someone who been deploying racks all over the world for most of their career. I'm currently shipping around a standard setup who's only config difference between any country (well, other than japan, because of course they have two different grids, so I have two Japan standards) are the detachable power cables on the PDUs so I can use a locally-standard outlet in the facility. This gear is running on local power ranging from 210v to 240v and 50 to 60Hz. Nothing cares anymore. It's all switching power supplies made to work on any country's power because stocking more SKUs is expensive.

I have seen a ton of 0U PDUs across my carreer with 5-15R. As well as C13/C19. None with L6-20R though.

Really no difference for me. As long as I can source some sane length power cords to keep poo poo tidy.

This new piece of gear in question is a Ciena 8700.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Outside of colo datacenter stuff, I am talking about entirely smaller shop on-prem "server rooms".

None the less, I am not arguing that C13 PDUs for 120v gear isn't more or less the standard. I am just mentioning what I have inherited across my career.

Looking back, the last few full racks I have rented from a datacenter had 5-15R PDUs. Unsure if that was requested by someone above me.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

H110Hawk posted:

I am so, so sorry. (We're working with a Major US Carrier right now to get them to defuck their Ciena garbage. If you've gotten a string of demand maintenance's in the NY/NJ area these past few days I'm not sorry.)

I don't have to manage them, this will just live at one of our sites.

We are part of some utopian fiber backbone. So far the Waveserver AI units we have are passing traffic fine. But I really am more of an end user on this project.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BlackMK4 posted:

Double boiler espresso machine. It can be run in 15a or 20a mode, may as well run 20a if I can.

This sounds better than the instant coffee I've been drinking at home.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I found that exact "trick" in my current place a few weeks back.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I just recently used one of these to install a new ceiling fan/light.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RACO-1-Gang-Silver-Steel-New-Work-Old-Work-Standard-Ceiling-Fan-Ceiling-Electrical-Box/3127059

Worked really well and is adjustable so it doesn't matter how centered you are between the joists.

I did a test hang (180lbs) and it managed to hold and not collapse my entire ceiling. Sure has no issues holding my 16lb fan.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Alrighty, I am looking for any hints here, this kind of blends into electrocuting myself.

I got a 4ish year old Samsung electric dryer. When I got said dryer, I replaced the breaker for the outlet. Previous was a 40a, spec for this calls for 30a.

A few days ago said dryer has started tripping the breaker when drying a load. Running it empty seems to be fine, same with air fluff with a drum full of clothing. I am guessing it is overheating, as it will run for 5-10 minutes, then trip the breaker. If I fire it right back up, it will trip in like 2 minutes.

Today I did a full teardown on the unit, cleaned all the inside (minimal lint actually), verified no blockage of vent. Tested the 2x thermal cut off thermostats for continuity with my multimeter (passed), tested the high-limit thermostat for continuity (passed) and tested the resistance of the thermistor (results show it is good).

The heating unit/coil also showed continuity. I figured it would since it is heating up. Maybe it's shorting out? It's probably this.

Re-assembled, fired it up, still tripping breaker.

Tested voltage at the outlet, 118v on one let, 119v on the other, 237 together. Tested voltage at the back of the dryer where the cord is installed, identical results.

Left the back panel off and kept my multimeter on while it was running (until it tripped), voltage hovered around 234 the entire time until the breaker popped.

Is it possible this new-ish 30a breaker just poo poo the bed? It is a Square QO 30a. Never had any issues until now.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-D-QO-30-Amp-2-Pole-Standard-Trip-Circuit-Breaker/3135067

Any ideas on what to dig into next? Other than just quitting and buying a new dryer ideally.

Edit: added more troubleshooting

Moey fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 3, 2022

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

VelociBacon posted:

Did you get a chance to look at any circuitboards? Blown capacitor maybe? Something failed open that should be closed? Maybe something around the exhaust where you might see condensation?

I didn't deeply look at the control board when I ripped off the front panel, but it was pristine looking. No fried traces or bulging caps. That would have stood out.

I had it running with the back open (no hose, venting straight into my virgin lungs), exhaust was blowing clean and warm, nothing out of the ordinary.

I feel like it's gotta be the heating element doing something dumb (these things are just glorified "air fryers"). The motor that spins the tub doesn't sound strained. Belt/tensioner/pulleys all looked good/clean.

Edit: I'm gonna pop the breaker panel cover off and double check the connections on that breaker I installed years back. Since I just pretend to know what I am doing, maybe one of the wires is cooking itself or something.

Wires looked fine going to breaker. Fired up dryer with panel open, tiny sparks every 5 seconds from one of the legs.

Time to reconnect this, and hopefully not get zapped.

Edit 2: All good. I live in a super old shoebox and have a very old panel. Whenever someone before me added in this dryer outlet, they stubbed the box for the receptacle right to the panel, there is zero extra length in the wire they pulled (and it is missing strands). I was able to re-connect both legs as secure as possible. No spark, dryer still running!

I guess replacing that will be an additional project to the list.

Thanks for shooting the poo poo with me VelociBacon! Talking through poo poo helps you see what you are missin!

Comedy picture of said breaker and wire with zero slack. Probably a fire hazard.

Moey fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 3, 2022

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

VelociBacon posted:

Great work! I'll be effortposting in here in the next little while about fixing the wiring so that two rooms on the same baseboard heater circuit are in parallel and not series so feel free to repay that minor favour at that time :(

Ugh, electric baseboard sucks.

My townhouse has a 1960s boiler for hot water baseboard (not much better than electric), so I get to keep that thing alive. Only singed my eyebrows once so far!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

zynga dot com posted:

This is a simple question that I'm sure has been answered to death, but:

I'm replacing the ceiling light fixture and idiot me didn't take a picture before removing the old fixture. The house was built in the 40s but pretty massively renovated in 2020, so we're never quite sure if we have something up to current code or something older that was allowed to stay. I got a voltmeter and did some testing and I'm pretty sure we're dealing with a switch loop: from the ceiling, white is hot and black is unused (unstripped and also taped off).

I assume the ceiling hot goes to hot on the fixture, but what do I do with the neutral on the fixture? I tried with the neutral disconnected (only hot to hot and ground to ground), and the light doesn't turn on but the screw shell is hot.

Is it a 3 way switch (multiple switches controlling one light)? The colors get funky with that for hot/neutral/travelers.

You for sure need a (switched) hot and a neutral going to your fixture to complete the circuit.

Picture of the fixture/junction box? Also whatever switches controlling said fixture.

Moey fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 3, 2022

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

You sure that "ceiling black" was for sure not in play with the old fixture?

No additional wires tucked up there?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

zynga dot com posted:

Positive. It was taped off and unstripped. I can check for additional wires but if there are any, they weren't connected to the old fixture.

I am just a bum who nerds out while doing my slow home remodel, but your light fixture will for sure need two wires connected to it. One that is your hot (switched in this instance) and one for neutral.

Someone please correct me if there is some voodoo wiring I have not seen before.

Drop a picture of that old fixture, I am quite curious now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Danhenge posted:

If so, "comedy" option - you have a neutral ground bond somewhere and the old fixture was using your ground as a neutral.

This is it. Functional, yet mildly scary.

kid sinister posted:

It sounds like your outlets are just worn out. Go ahead and replace them. Upgrade to TR outlets, they're code now. Put in GFCIs where they are required. Outdoor outlets are required to be WR too.

This. I've been randomly picking up 10 packs of TR decora outlets and working through all my 1960s beat up poo poo.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-White-15-Amp-Decorator-Tamper-Resistant-Outlet-Residential-10-Pack-Outlet/1001462386

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-1-Gang-White-Single-Midsize-Wall-Plate/1001462374

Nice clean look, plugs actually plug in firm.

Moey fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 3, 2022

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

devicenull posted:

Is that tandem breaker on the left burned? I can't tell from the picture what's going on in the bottom left corner of it.

Also the wire coming out of that 30a breaker looks strange - is that what's going to the dryer? I'm not sure why they would have used such thick wire, you really only need 10 gauge wire for that.

I believe that is just dust, but I'll pop it back open tomorrow and take a look.

Yeah, I saw 10g for wire sizing, no idea what that is, it's girthy though. The outlet box is literally screwed to a KO on the bottom of the breaker box, so it's it's a 10" run max.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Thanks all, I'll go grab a few feet of each black and red 10g THHN today and get this stupid poo poo fixed.

Been slowly working on remodeling/fixing this old poo poo hole, everything I find seems like someone previously has been trying to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Re: Ceiling fan box chat

I installed two ceiling fans into bedrooms that didn't have any ceiling lighting/electric a few years back. I used these old work braces. Doing some unofficial testing, I put a good amount of my weight (180lb) hanging. Didn't fail.

Two years later, still have not woken up to a fan crashing down on my face.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/RACO-1-Gang-Silver-Steel-New-Work-Old-Work-Standard-Ceiling-Fan-Ceiling-Electrical-Box/3127059