Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Bill
Oct 4, 2001
Dear Goons,

Please help me not burn my (rented) house down and/or kill myself.

The place I'm living was built in 195X and has the original space-age avocado green oven and separate built in electric range next to it in the counter (super awesome push button heat controls too). Long story short, one of the little 6 inch coils is broken/burned through and I'd like to replace it.

Thing is, the obsolete ones in the stove have two wires going into one end of the coil and one coming out the other side (or reversed, not sure which way the current is going).

This certainly won't work with the 2 plug versions at the local home depot, so I need to find a replacement that will. I see 3 wire elements online but some are 220v, and some are 240v. Can anyone tell me which I need and if it makes a difference? Here's a closeup of the the wires if it matters.

Two ends are joined together on the black wire, and the other ends are attached to red, and what looks like white with a lot of red rubbed off on it.

All of this is crap is then arranged inside a little ceramic sandwich like so.

Some quick searching leads me to eBay and a few online stores. Here's what I'm thinking about installing. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390046993693 Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU