Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm not sure if this is exactly the right thread to ask about this. Apologies for the long story...

I discovered recently that we can receive digital HD broadcasts over-the-air, as long as you have a digital tuner. I plugged a crappy FM wire antenna into the back of my TV and magically got 10 free high-definition channels.

The problem is that it only works when the balcony door is open, and I can't receive any US stations, which I should be able to. (I'm in Toronto.)

I'm 20 floors up in a condo that faces the UHF-broadcasting CN Tower, and Buffalo. I figured I could just stick a little outdoor antenna on my balcony.

There's a little gap in the sliding doors I can use to run coax through. In my reading now I'm hearing all about "grounding" which I have absolutely zero knowledge of. There are tonnes of articles online about grounding antennas on rooftops and the like, but I can't find anything about mounting one on a balcony.

Is it even possible to ground something like that from a condo balcony? Do I need to, or is it only important when the antenna is the highest point around during a storm...?

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's a relatively-compact double-bowtie model. It's only about two feet tall, foot wide and like eight inches of depth. There are 25 floors above me.