Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Not sure this is the place for it, but I am wondering if a 150amp power line running close to (in the same big pipe underground but not in directly next to each other...maybe 4-6 inches apart) phone lines will cause interference in the phone line.

Also going to be running fiber optic cabling from a satallite internet dish on one house, underground about 400 feet (in the same trunk) and popping out on the otherside to network a house. Any issues with the fiber optic line and the power line? Is there a better line to use (I know catV is limited to 100meters and coax is just pretty 'bleh' isn't it?)? Is there a way to run the phone lines via fiber optic too?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

grover posted:

You probably will get a 60Hz hum if you tried this. Also, it's illegal to run communications cables in the same raceway as power cables. There are a few technicalities that may let you get away with it if you're careful, and shielded phone line should mitigate the hum issue.

What sort of conduit are you using for this? If it's as large as you say, it probably isn't "raceway" at all and the code issues are N/A, as you need to run new conduit in the hole anyhow. FYI, for 400', you're going to have to REALLY oversize the cable for voltage drop.

Voltage cable is already run and it's all gravy. There's no applicable codes this is in VT. I didn't build it but the guy who did know's his poo poo he's just not sure about the internet/phone stuff.

Basically they dug a trench and ran a big pipe through it, and ran everything needed through the big pipes in their own littler pipe runs.

Shielded cable isn't a bad idea.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

grover posted:

Oh, you'd better believe there are codes for this stuff! And he's probably already violated several of them. Heh.

I'm not a contractor but he's been doing this stuff longer than I've been alive, probably longer than you've been alive. So I'll take him at his word. Like I said though, fiberoptics and such are out of his realm of knowledge so I was just trying to gather some info.

I like the idea of shielded phone lines, but is there any reason TO or NOT TO run them fiber optic as well (Can you?)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ryanmfw posted:

You mean run the phone lines using fiber optic cables? Do you know how fiber optic cables work? I'll assume you do, but I just want to make sure because the way I'm reading it, it doesn't really make sense to me. Also, no, there won't be interference with the fiber optic cables, I don't believe.

Well I'm not too well versed but I know you can go catV to fiber to catV to run a longer internet data connection.

So could you not do the same with a phone line if you wanted to?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

grover posted:

That doesn't mean he's been doing it right all these years. I see an awful lot of people doing things the wrong way. A disturbing number of contractors in my area have never even seen a code book, letalone know what the building codes are. Duct banks require either strict conformance to designs in the code book (this is NOT one of those designs) or stamped engineering drawings attesting to their design. Which he probably doesn't have, either.

Fiber optics are non-conductive, so there's no issue at all. Fiber optics are usually way more expensive than copper phone lines, so it's rare to see them over such a short distance. There would be 0 interference on fiber optics from the power lines, and 0 chance of a short circuit. And yes, you can go back and forth- data is data, you simply need the right media converters/transceivers.

It's not what I'd call a duct bank though, who knows. Do you know what fiber optics run per foot? Are there differing grades of cable?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

thanks for the advice, I might have somebody at work who can terminate the optic cable for me so that might help. Thanks for the advice on the wire-backed cabling, sounds like a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Lucid Smog posted:

If you know someone who can terminate the fiber, that's great! I have never actually gotten a price on terminations, but I have somewhat guessed that it's around $100 per termination. If you pull four strands, that's eight terminations. Yikes! I couldn't find a link to this one place I found that was pretty well priced and had every kind of fiber cable in bulk you could want. I'm sure I've seen them wire backed before, though some have pulling eyelets that you can use to some effect as well. For your distance and application you're going to want 62.5/125 multimode fiber with either ST or SC terminations (the termination type doesn't really matter, as long as you have either a fiber card in a computer/router/switch or a media converter with the same type of jack).

Do you have a link to any resource that describes the different (ST/SC) terminations and the types of fiber? Why is 62.5/125 the best for my uses and what does it mean?