Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

"The ending has not yet been written."

Ask me about CONTRIBUTING TO THE DEATH OF VIDEOGAMES
How possible/smart/stupid is it to convert a ceiling light figure to a plug-in?

My apartment doesn't have wiring for a ceiling light fixture and only one standard wall outlet that's keyed to the light switch. I'm currently using a floor lamp to light the room, but I would like to use a ceiling light of some form.

Is it safe and possible for me to run a cord from the wall outlet, then hardwire that cord to whatever lighting figure I get? If so, what's the safest way possible? (Besides doing the wiring before plugging it all in.)

Still undecided on what fixture, but I need to know if it's at least possible. Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

kid sinister posted:

"Possible"... Technically, yes. Define "apartment". The landlord might not be very keen on you cutting up his ceiling and wiring.
My plans were never to cut up the wall and actually re-wiring anything inside the walls/ceiling. Mounting screws are allowed.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So, no. Your only way is to figure out how to get wire from the switch on your wall to your ceiling or to use a floor lamp plugged into a switched outlet on the wall (which is OK by code [210.70(A)(1)])
drat. I'm currently using a floor lamp, but it's not enough light. The only other way around is to buy more floor lamps and run power cords from that one switched outlet. Lame, but what can you do?

Thank you both for the advice!

Atrus
Dec 5, 2003

Again, thank you all!

kid sinister posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about swag lamps... Atrus, do this.
The previous tenant had this in the bedroom, but I was looking for something with more class. :smug:

grover posted:

You'll find many businesses enforcing the rule, and many house fires caused by extension cords that are worn through, but nobody's going to arrest you for running an extension cord up your wall.
If it's any saving grace, I never cheap out on electrical for this very reason. Hence me asking here in the first place rather than hacking it on my own.