Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skoobert
Dec 10, 2003
Script Kiddie
I have a non-grounding outlet that I would like to replace with a grounding outlet. The outlet is fed by 12/2 NM without ground. Because of the location of the outlet in relation to the panel, coupled with the fact that the basement is partially finished, it would be somewhat difficult to run a new circuit. It would be very easy, however, to fish a grounding wire from the outlet down into an unfinished part of the basement and attach it to an accessible junction box with a grounding clip or screw. That junction box is part of a separate circuit and is fed via EMT back to the panel. There is not a separate grounding wire in the EMT - the conduit is used to provide grounding.

From what I could gather through a bit of Googling, it used to be common practice to do something similar to this, but the ground wire would be run to a cold water pipe instead. I gather that it's no longer code to attach the grounding wire to a cold water pipe, but how about this situation?

This seems to be the best information I can find on the subject: http://books.google.com/books?id=im1rgZnFlMIC&pg=PT70. This seems to suggest that it's code to run a separate grounding wire from an existing outlet, but I'm not entirely clear on the definition of "any point on the grounding electrode system."

Anyone have any ideas whether doing this would be code or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoobert
Dec 10, 2003
Script Kiddie

Big Steveo posted:

Thanks for the reply, that all makes sense.

grover posted:

It's not legal in the US, sorry.

What specifically would not be code? Would the grounding wire need to be a continuous run all the way to the panel? Something else? Just trying to get better understanding of things...

skoobert
Dec 10, 2003
Script Kiddie

grover posted:

Per NEC, the conductors, grounded conductor and grounding conductor all have to be run in the same raceway. For NM, I've seen AHJs allow a bare wire to be run outside of, but parallel to, the existing cable. Usually, though, it means "in" the cable, since NM is its own raceway, which means replacing the cable.

Keeping all the wires in parallel reduces the risk of the ground wire getting broken or disconnected and nobody realizing it.

Thanks for the follow up. I did a little more research and found the section you're referring to...

303.3(B) posted:

All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway...

That section also contains a few exceptions:

303.3(B)(2) posted:

Equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be installed outside a raceway or cable assembly where in accordance with the provisions of 250.130(C) for certain existing installations...

250.130(C) is titled "Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions" and talks about where it is acceptable to connect the equipment grounding conductor of a grounding-type receptacle when replacing a nongrounding receptacle, so I would think that the exception applies in my case. Any thoughts?