Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Great thread, learned a lot. I'm buying my first house, closing in a couple weeks, and I'm looking at potential projects that need to be done and things I'd like to do for the future. House was built in 2002, 3 bedroom 2 full bath with attached 2 car garage and attic space giving access to the whole house. Slab foundation so no basement or crawlspace.

GFI outlets: I understand these to be like #1 on a chain so if something surges or whatever it will pop it thus saving everything down the line? Should there be more than one in a house my size? My home inspector seemed to think there would just be one in the house. I saw someone mention earlier they are just used around water and such, so the only outlets aligned with it would be the bathrooms, kitchen, and garage? How can I tell exactly which outlets are on it? Just do the test button and see which outlets don't work?

If I were to do anything panel related, do I need to contact my electric company to shut off service to the house to make it safe? Or is there some switch between my panel and the source from the pole/meter/wherever that I can operate myself?

I'm looking at building up the patio area with a short brick wall with some switch powered low wattage lights every x feet. I already have an outside light attached to the house with a switch but it's of course higher up. Can I just connect a line up to that and run it down the wall and have it pop out lower to the ground so that I can run it inside the brick and wire the lights? What considerations would I have to watch for when adding them on? Total amps on the circuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Hoping this thread can save me. I'm trying to add two new standard size light bulb sockets like these to my garage and chain them with the two already installed. They're wired with 12-2 w/ground but I'm wondering what should I do with that ground. It appears to come in from the box to the first light box and is just wired straight through, no connection to a screw or anything inside that box. On the second box it goes in then right back out, presumably to a grounded something just outside the box? My question is if the circuit is already grounded do I need to bother running the ground out to the new third and fourth box I'm installing or can I just leave the ground where it is, essentially already grounded in the middle of the four light chain?

Edit: Don't know if this is relevant but I'm adding about 20 feet to the circuit. 10 feet out from the first pair, then about 10 feet over to where the second will be added, making basically a 10 foot by 10 foot square on the ceiling.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 27, 2013

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

grover posted:

You're required to run a ground to each outlet box, but that style fixture does not require a ground connection, so you don't actually have to connect the ground wire to it, you can just run it straight through.

That style fixture is also not entirely legal to use in garages or, really, just about anywhere it's actually used, and I'm amazed the big boxes still sell them. I recommend springing for a $5-10 fixtures that covers the bulb and adds a nice measure of both safety, legality, and not looking like rear end. Might as well replace the others while you're at it. For that matter, you could upgrade to full-up T8 fluorescent lights- they'll wire up just the same and give a TON more light for the power. Honestly, you could probably just 1:1 replace your existing fixtures with T8 (or T12) flourescent fixtures and save a lot of trouble and get better results than adding 2 new lights. It doesn't matter that they're large and rectangular, they wire up just the same. You will need to mount them solidly to a ceiling joist, though, you can't just hang it off the box.

Something like this, but with a cover (your Lowes will have a couple kinds in stock to pick from): http://www.lowes.com/pd_371819-32136-SL-1_0__?productId=3579728&Ntt=flourescent+light&Ns=p_product_price|0

Ok couple of things, you're saying I need to run the ground to each box, but since there's nothing to connect it to I can just leave it hanging at the end of the fourth light the way it is now at the end of the second? I guess that makes me wonder why even run it to the second box. Is it just a code thing and it's required by law to have the ground there even if it's serving no purpose?

Your other comment makes me really curious about the legality of the sockets in garages. These were the types I had in the garage from when the house was originally built, and most garages I've ever been in have regular exposed light bulbs in sockets unless the owner has taken the time to put up some fluorescent or something. I'm not sure if that Lowe's link is to the wrong thing but I've never heard that regular exposed light bulbs in garages are against code. Edit: After the other guy's comment I realized I didn't link exactly to what I'm putting in, so maybe that's where the non-code talk is coming from?

Three-Phase posted:

You're putting mogul bulbs in your garage? :psyduck::hf::science:

I have never heard of a mogul bulb before but after looking it up on google, no, I'm not doing anything like that. I probably linked to the wrong thing on Lowe's. Just putting in standard sized light bulb sockets. (Yeah I see it now, I wasn't even paying attention to the wattage, more just about the basic style and shape. My bad there.)

How about this?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 27, 2013

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

I think I got it Grover, thank you very much for the help and information!