Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I was pointed here by the house thread. Here's what i've got going on:

I've got a 50's house where none of the outlets are grounded. There are GFCI outlets in the kitchen and bathroom, but all the other outlets are original 2 prong ones without grounds.

I'm thinking of getting the breakers replaced with GFCI breakers (to prevent anyone from getting electrocuted), and then maybe also adding one of those whole house surge protectors at the panel (to cover any of the electronics), then replacing all the two prong outlets with 3 prong for convenience.

Is that a solid plan?

Obviously it would be best to run a ground to all the outlets, but that's going to be cost prohibitive right now. I think this gets me in a better spot in terms of safety without going crazy.

*Will add a photo of my panel here shortly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I was recently without power for 4 days and never want to go through that again. I'm researching options to at least run our gas furnace off of our small portable generator (basically a Honda 2200i clone). I'm assuming that if my furnace is on a 20 amp breaker that i'll also need a 20 amp transfer switch?

If so, I think this'll fit the bill nicely for just running one circuit, right? https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-Corporation-TF201W-Generators/dp/B00AHTWM9Q/

It might be nice to be able to switch on/off other circuits, but it's been dificult to find something like this 4 breaker switch in 20 amp with a regular 3 prong inlet port. This is close, but only 15 amps: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C535GCZ?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_KJ18CE3V9TG24YF4EZ5G&language=en-US#customerReviews

Also, i'm going to hire an electrician to install this, I just wanted to do a little research before I called them up.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Extant Artiodactyl posted:

the transfer switches that do like 4 to 10 circuits are generally all 30A inlets. might be worth getting a second one of those generators with the parallel kit or selling it to get the next size up. that amazon listing...is strange. that's an off the shelf pro/tran switch being sold as part of a portable battery backup system?

furnace is likely much less than 1000w so if it's on a 20A breaker then it's likely due to other things on that circuit so you wouldn't want to kick it down to 15A to fit the transfer switch's breaker.

if you're trying to save the most amount of money and make what you have work, you might want to see if an electrician is willing to change your furnace from being hardwired to being cord-and-plug connected so you can just run extension cords from the genny? it'd have to still be from the same circuit so the emergency switch at the top of the stairs (or equivalent) and the thermal cutoff switch still function as intended. thought about this more, i had it backwards. if you can do this, it'd be way more effort than worth and there's a dozen ways for someone to gently caress it up. never mind.

Thank you for the info! I think at this point my choice is either:

1.) Get a single circuit transfer switch rated for 20a just for the furnace:
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-Corporation-TF201W-Generators/dp/B00AHTWM9Q/

2.) Get a larger generator and a transfer switch for 4 or 6 circuits with a 30a inlet.
Generator: https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-WGen9500DF-Generator-9500-Watts-Gas-Powered-Electric/dp/B07Q1DLKBG/
Transfer switch (edit, this might actually not be the best choice for this generator, but something like this) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-Controls-30-Amp-250-Volt-7500-Watt-Non-Fuse-6-Circuit-Transfer-Switch-Kit-3006HDK/202213700

I'm a little leery of upgrading to a much bigger generator because it's going to use a heck of a lot more fuel and be harder for my girlfriend to set everything up. The little portable unit is pretty efficient and easy to move around.

right arm posted:

just get an extension cord for the furnace to run to the gen. you can probably fit it under the weatherstripping for the door. I ran mine through my cat door as a test before I wired my interlock and inlet since I wasn’t sure if my ng meter would feed both my 13000w gen and my furnace

make sure it’s a 20amp cord and you can save yourself both $120 for the switch and $$$ for having an electrician install it

The furnace is hardwired to the panel and doesn't have an existing inlet on it unfortuantely. I also wanted to set it up so that we don't have to go down into the crawlspace to hook it up. Would prefer to do everything from the garage where the panel is located, or even have an inlet port on the outside of the garage to make it super easy.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 19, 2024

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

right arm posted:

I vote bigger generator and bigger inlet. champion makes a trifuel inverter that isn’t much more than that westinghouse for $1200 and probably has a dual fuel for even less. or you could get a dual fuel predator from harbor freight and have a better warranty than both. running an inlet and an interlock is what I’d prefer over a transfer switch imo

Ugh, y’all might be right. Thinking about this more, I’ve already got natural gas for the furnace, I could probably have someone run a line to wherever we’re gonna put the generator and just not have to worry about fuel (as long as natural gas is till available!).

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
In a hilarious stroke of luck my power just went out AGAIN. Really wish I had listened to my father and ordered the single port and just installed it when I had the chance a few days ago. It’s pretty icy and windy, I think a transformer blew this time.

right arm posted:

I vote bigger generator and bigger inlet. champion makes a trifuel inverter that isn’t much more than that westinghouse for $1200 and probably has a dual fuel for even less. or you could get a dual fuel predator from harbor freight and have a better warranty than both. running an inlet and an interlock is what I’d prefer over a transfer switch imo

Why do you prefer the interlock and inlet over a transfer switch? The interlock looks sort of janky to me, but maybe I don’t fully understand the difference.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I asked my electrician for two quotes to install a transfer switch for my small generator, one that would let us run 4 circuits, and other that would let us run just one circuit (furnace).

Instead of giving a quote for a 4 circuit transfer switch, they gave us an estimate for installing a shutoff breaker at the top of the panel (we don't currently have a main shutoff) and an interlock ($1,200).

Then, the second quote was for a single transfer switch, but they didn't want to put it near the panel, but down next to the furnace in the crawl space, which would not be at all convenient for us ($600).

Are they just quoting what they're used to installing, and the products I listed (or something like them) not something most electricians would touch?

I'm going to get a quote from someone else, but thought i'd see what the thread thought.

Edit: it seems like it’s pretty uncommon not to have a main breaker or shutoff. I think they must want to either install a main, or install a transfer switch in between the existing furnace circuit?

frogbs fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kastein posted:

Those interlocks are like no more than 200 bucks online for most panels (though there are like 96 million styles of panels and therefore interlock kits and it's annoying to find the right one if you haven't done it before.) I've seen them as cheap as 15 on aliexpress for more common panels.

The nice thing about them is they technically back up your whole house, you just can't draw more than the generator can supply.

I guess I have a ‘split bus’ panel, which isn’t common and they don’t make interlocks for. Not sure how they were going to make it work, but maybe that’s why the quote was so high?