Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a few low voltage questions:

For 14v AC @ 1amp - what size wire can I get away with for a run of 30' without a drop in power?

I'm familiar with AWG, but my supplier uses a format of 24/0.2 , 7/0.2, 1/0.6 - as far as I can tell this translates to 24 strands at 0.2mm each. Is there a chart on how these compare with AWG figures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've bought my first home - a semi-detached 1940's house in the south of the UK. It's had some modernisation - a new kitchen, sliding patio doors, a powered garage and garden office with their own fuse-boxes. While the fuse box for the house is quite modern, I'm a little concerned at a few things:

- the plug socket outlets around the house are very sparsely appointed (3 in the master bedroom and livingroom, 2 in the spare bedroom and kitchen, and one in the breakfast room and smallest bedroom).
- the phone socket is in the far flung front corner of the house
- the loft conversion (albeit too small to be a room) is wired with plastic trunking down the middle of the spare bedroom's wall - and the vendor advised to 'not plug too much in there incase it trips the breaker'
- the hallway light is wired to the FLOOR of the hallway and then snakes up a balustrade post to a lampshade

With this in mind, I'm thinking of getting someone in to do a full re-wire:

- three double sockets in every room, four in the master/livingroom
- fixing the hallway light routing
- connecting the loft power to the main fusebox instead of as a spur off a radial

I'm also thinking that doing a little future proofing might be worth it while all the floors are up:

- moving the telephone point to the under-stairs cupboard
- routing pairs of CAT6 ethernet to the four corners of the house (double sockets) into the under-stairs cupboard
- installing conduit where possible in the corners of the livingroom (for future speaker/tv hook-ups, unknown cabling standards)

I'd appreciate any thoughts around this - I've been quoted about £3000ish for the whole lot, sans 'making good' though I'm quite aware that they'll need to come by to see it for a proper quote. In my mind's eye the kitchen and breakfast room are fine and it's just the 'living areas' which need work. Many people have suggested whole walls would need to be skimmed to make good after the plaster channels are cut, and therefore a total redecoration? Any particular suggestions on routing/cabling/standards to look into? My house is full brick with plaster coated walls. There's a small crawlspace under the house, not big enough to sit in though!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

kid sinister posted:

1940s UK house? Was your place wired after/during the war with ring mains or before?

The full survey is due next week, so I should know more - from what I can see it's definitely been rewired in the interim (let's say at a thumb to the air, the 80's) and then a rewire of the kitchen/shed/garage and fusebox again in the 00's.

I've been looking into high power wifi units, and it seems Amplifi, Google Wifi, etc. all provide massively high powered wireless signals without the duplexing issues of extenders - two in the house and one in the shed would in theory provide 1500' sq. ft each, and would only need to actually broadcast around 650 sq. ft each to cover my whole property. Ultimately I'll have to see how costly running the network would be in addition to the wiring.

kid sinister posted:

Patches in plaster walls can be hard to get to match since plater walls aren't very flat like plasterboard is.

H110Hawk posted:

This is entirely on the skill and care of the contractor patching your walls. The good people we hired you can't even tell there were holes, the cheap people you can see exactly where they patched. You can even seen little cutouts where the expensive people patched partially into where the cheap people patched. If I didn't know better I would think the cheap people cut an awkwardly shaped hole. (Two different major patch jobs.) It cost around double to have the good people do their work, but it still wasn't that expensive. ($400 vs $800 or something.)

Righto - I guess I'll have to get quotes either way. Based on the wifi revelation above, if I can 'get away' with one or two more double dockets in each room then it should be significantly less for both the electrical and plastering work, yes?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I just want to confirm something - I've got a stereo system. I am getting crazy kinds of interference from literally every source I plug in. If I plug in my turntable, I get a low pitched buzz. If I plug in my PC I get stuttering and buzzing when I play videos/games. If I plug in my guitar amplifier I get what sounds like radio interference (with nothing plugged in). Is it just a lovely stereo or are these lots of separate problems?

EDIT: to confirm I thought it might be a grounding problem in the house, but I just ran an extension cable from a different spur to the stereo and the same issue.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 2, 2017