Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Is there any code preventing me from getting a second power drop to my garage? My garage is about 100 feet from my house, and the back of the garage is less than 10 feet from the power pole with transformer on the back of my property. Running underground-grade 4/0 from my house to the garage is quite expensive and I would rather not do that. (Saying 4/0 because the charts I saw said that I need that thick of a cable for my distance to get any real power).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Lucid Smog posted:

Also here's a few more pictures of dubious work:
God, I think they also wired my basement.

Was working in my basement and saw a cut section of fabric insulated wire (like what you have in the first image). I tested it and sure enough, it was live. THAT got removed very quickly.

Also bumping my question from a week ago:

Fire Storm posted:

Is there any code preventing me from getting a second power drop to my garage? My garage is about 100 feet from my house, and the back of the garage is less than 10 feet from the power pole with transformer on the back of my property. Running underground-grade 4/0 from my house to the garage is quite expensive and I would rather not do that. (Saying 4/0 because the charts I saw said that I need that thick of a cable for my distance to get any real power).

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You're talking about running a separate service. What's the rating on your house panel?
Yeah, a separate service. It just seems cheaper/easier than running from my house out to the garage (deep lot and the garage is not close to the house).

Currently the house is only 60a service (The city inspector saw the 60a main breaker and 40a going to the stove and said "Oh, 100a! That's code!" and I wish I was joking). I have all the stuff ready to convert the house to 200a (but I just haven't), and am prepared to put in a 120a service to the garage.

I mean, if I have to have all the power delivered to the house then bring it back to the garage, I can do that, but it almost seems better to just have it go to the garage and then to the house, but that's just me being practical and trying to save copper, I guess.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Draw a picture of your lot, including your current service drop, and I can probably come up with something.

Why draw when I can pull up the survey!

Click here for the full 550x1254 image.

Red X are the transformer (Well, it's actually on the neighbors property behind me, but close enough) and the service drop.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Hoping to get this in before I lose power:

I have 2 battery backups on 2 separate circuits and they keep cycling. One is a new battery backup, one is an older one, but they are both cycling at the same time. I tried plugging them into other circuits and they keep cycling like this. Not seeing any flickering anywhere else in the house, voltmeter doesn't catch any changes other than the power going from 118.7v to 119.5v and it's just as stable at the meter. Seems to cycle more when it's windy, but this has JUST started within the past 36 hours. No tree branches are touching my wires, transformer on the pole looks clear, run from the pole to the house doesn't appear to be swaying at all.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Power is relatively stable for a few minutes, and the control panel software for my UPS isn't showing any power outage, under voltage or over voltage, but it is cycling.

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 1, 2009