Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast5c
Sep 17, 2004
I tried reading through the thread for a quick answer but I just got a headache doing it. I'm definitely not an electrician!

I wanted to hook up a dimmer switch for the new baby's room.

House has three wires going to the current switch. White wire is on top, black wire is on the bottom and the ground is hooked to the screw the switch is held in place with.

Dimmer is a Leviton decora. It has four wires. Green and red wires out one hole and black and red wires out the other hole. The red wire with the black is labled for a 3 way switch.

What do I hook to what so I don't burn the dang house down? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast5c
Sep 17, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

If the switch is wired properly, then white goes to black, red goes to black, black and red gets a wire nut, and green goes to green.

If it doesn't work, swap the white and black house wires [white to red, black to black].

Whatever you do, put black tape around that white wire. It may be your hot wire coming in, and should be marked.

Your advice was spot on, thank you! It worked perfectly the first try...well sorta.

The dimmer functions as expected but with an incandescent bulb in, it makes the bulb have a high pitch whine at anything less than full power. I googled that and it seems fairly common. So I went out and bought a dimmable CFL. It works pretty good from 100% down to about 45% It then starts to flicker and hum a bit. Is there any way around either of those problems?