Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temporary Overload
Jan 26, 2005
meh
I like it. We could use an electric (rather than electronic) megathread.

Things worth explaining in first post...
Black/White/Green wires, why polar and grounded plugs matter
Gauge romex or w/e to use on lighting, new outlets, etc
Electrical safety, things you shouldn't touch unless you're experienced
Differences between US/UK/etc wiring
Basic load rating guidelines (watts, amps, etc)
Common causes to electrical issues (loose wires, overloads, etc)
What kind of project has to meet code and what doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temporary Overload
Jan 26, 2005
meh

Three-Phase posted:

Anything under 480/277V isn't real electricity. :science:
I'm not sure if it would be good to have it in DIY - what other forum could we put it in? GBS?

480v three-phase scares me. It's what we use at work to power everything. Not really because I think I'll get hurt by it, but because we have several dumbasses who think they're competent enough to wire up plugs and breaker boxes when they're clearly not. I'm talking, "I cut the ground wire too short to reach the terminal, so I'll just leave it unconnected" and poo poo.

Also, recently our engineering/manufacturing facility sent us a bunch of equipment designed for 440v 3phase, with big signs posted all over it saying "DO NOT EXCEED 440 VOLTS." They're located in texas, we're located in louisiana, and the equipment will be used on offshore rigs in the gulf. Why did they use european motors? Where are we supposed to find 440v hookups? :iiam:

Temporary Overload
Jan 26, 2005
meh

grover posted:

440V is a common shipboard voltage. Don't ask me WHY it was chosen, but it's unfortunately ubiquitious in some areas of the industry, which makes it really annoying to have to have a bazillion transformers everywhere to support it when the equipment is on land.

hobbesmaster posted:

As for the engineers, obviously they want you to wire your own transformers!

All of the large drillships and semisubmersible rigs in the gulf use 480v. Stupid thing is, the equipment runs just fine on 480v if you up the varistat breakers from 25A to 30A, but if something breaks while running on 480, it voids the warranty.
We had to spend $12,000 on explosion-proof 480-440v transformers... Idiotic.