Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Purchased a new home in June and with the paint and interior work mostly complete, the next area I was planning to renovate was electrical outlets. The house was built in 1942 but renovated significantly in 2004; electrical seems to be generally in OK shape. I've been reading this thread for a few weeks and would like to get a gut check before I purchase parts and start any work.

I plan on a few different tasks:
- Change out existing outlets for Leviton USB combo (A/C) outlets in a few key locations
- Change out fan switches for Lutron Maestro to control the new fans that were installed
- Change out the old rocker and dimmer switches throughout the house
- Change out all of the old, nasty yellowing standard outlets throughout the house

Here's a snap of my fuse box, which shows the house is mostly 20A breakers with a few 15A here and there:

Per NEC 404.14, I understand it's acceptable to use 15A switches on 20A circuits provide the loads are acceptable.
This is good, because 20A rocker switches appear to be more of an industrial/commercial thing and the level of finish leaves something to be desired.
My plan is to go with Leviton rockers for the incandescent fixtures, with Lutron dimmables for a few areas where I will have LEDs (fans, new dining room pendant).
I will eventually go with LEDs over time, but otherwise is there any reason to go with the higher end switches? I don't have any interest in home automation at present.

Extrapolating this to outlets - any recommendation on the best way to proceed, 15a vs 20a outlet?
20A outlets appear to be roughly 2x the price for both regular and USB outlets.

I know that for the USB outlets I may have box depth issues, it's something that will need to be verified at each location.

I'm traveling this week for work otherwise I'd pull out a few outlets and see what's already in the walls.
Any other things that I'm not thinking of that are significant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
My 1942 build/2004 reno home was pre-wired for fire and CO sensors. PO left the old detectors but they were very tired, so I bought new versions at HD and connected them to the existing 3-pin wiring using the adaptors they came packaged with. For a week or so everything was fine, then I started getting false alarms from the combo smoke/CO near the kitchen.

I assumed it was a battery issue and pulled that down. A day or so later, the two in the bedrooms started to go off in the middle of the night. Thoroughly inspected the property, no fire or smoke - but the internals of both alarms smell of burnt electronics.

Got a new battery in the combo detector and put it up since I took the other two down and it did the same thing within an hour - went off for fire when there was none and the internals all smell burnt.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

taqueso posted:

Did you buy a "Smoke Alarm" or a "Smoke, Alarm"?

loving Oxford comma :argh:

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Anza Borrego posted:

My 1942 build/2004 reno home was pre-wired for fire and CO sensors. PO left the old detectors but they were very tired, so I bought new versions at HD and connected them to the existing 3-pin wiring using the adaptors they came packaged with. For a week or so everything was fine, then I started getting false alarms from the combo smoke/CO near the kitchen.

I assumed it was a battery issue and pulled that down. A day or so later, the two in the bedrooms started to go off in the middle of the night. Thoroughly inspected the property, no fire or smoke - but the internals of both alarms smell of burnt electronics.

Got a new battery in the combo detector and put it up since I took the other two down and it did the same thing within an hour - went off for fire when there was none and the internals all smell burnt.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

My post got lost amidst the dog piling Crusty Minge’s pending solar battery fire, any thoughts?