Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Bought a 1970s house recently, basement is mostly unfinished, which will allow me to redo the electrical outlets on the main floor to add a couple circuits while switching to copper from aluminum. What’s not simple is replacing the lighting wiring. What’s the thread consensus on effort to do this while I make considerable renovations (but not down to the studs)? I’m on the fence, which is why I’m posting here — on one hand there’s only going to be a couple watts of LEDs hanging off these going forward, but on the other hand it’s nice to know everything’s been updated. I know how to safely bond AlCu, no advice needed there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I’d just go with ESPHome based custom firmware flashed to commodity lights. They won’t call home at all. You don’t even have to use HA if you just want to use the web API from a cron job.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Coolguye posted:

this is still my first foray into something like this, though, do you have a suggestion for a specific light that you know would work for this approach? as a corollary, how are you identifying that it is workable so I can pick up searching for lights myself?

I’m using Caseta dimmers without temperature control for my lights, so nothing I can directly recommend. I’m sure there’s a home automation thread or esphome reddit sub where they can give a heads up about sales on easy to flash lights. After doing a bit of googling, it does look like it’s a bit annoying to try to locate compatible ones and flash them (if you’re not into electronics), so hopefully I didn’t get your hopes up for nothing. If you’re ok with zigbee, Ikea bulbs are standard and can be used without their hub.