Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm currently in the process of remodeling my kitchen (some of you may know me from the plumbing/other home threads). I need to move my 220 line for my stove (it's currently hard-wired from a junction box) about 15 feet. I had a guy come out who said he could move it by wiring off of the existing box, going through my crawlspace, and up the other side into a receptacle. He understood the amp requirements (I'm getting a much newer stove, but it only takes 40 amps while my line is 50), etc, etc. He's done work for some friends and comes highly recommended, but he is not licensed (he's an HVAC and general handyman, I found this out after, even though he has done electrical work for my friends).

Now, because I don't want to burn my house down or invalidate my insurance, does this kind of work require that a permit is pulled and does it need to be done by a licensed electrician? I see a lot of advice on google for DIY 220 moving (which I am not comfortable doing), but nothing referencing the need for a permit outside of adding a new line or going outside of the existing structure (to a spa, for instance).

Any advice is definitely appreciated, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

RedReverend posted:

There are legal ways around using a licensed electrician. Most jurisdictions allow the homeowner to do his/her own electrical. So, if you are really into saving money by not hiring licensed electrician, Which you should do BTW, then basically, "you" get the permit and "you" do the work with help from your buddy. Do you get what I'm saying here?

Of course, the best way would be to hire a professional licensed electrician to do it. It'll cost you more, but if this guy fucks something up and either starts a fire or wires something incorrectly, he's probably not covered for damages.

That's what I was thinking. I'm all for saving a buck where I can (since this remodel is killer!), but I think fire prevention should be near the top of my list for the house I just bought. I'm not willing to stretch the truth when it comes to covering my rear end, fortunately!

This guy has a friend who is licensed and is willing to do the work, I'm going to see what he gives me as a price and move forward. Can anyone here give me a ballpark on what to expect in terms of cost? I'm expecting a couple hundred dollars, but am not really sure. Here's what I know if it helps:

The current stove breaker is 50 amps, the new stove is 40 amp min so it should be fine for the upgrade. I believe there are 3 wires running to the current hard-wired stove (this stove is from the 1960s), so I'm not sure if code or anything requires a 4th wire (I've seen 3 and 4-wire setups... I don't really know code). My new stove will take a 3-wire cord or 4-wire, so hopefully there's no rewiring to do and just a simple extension.

Doesn't seem that difficult, but nothing does until you start!