Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victoryismine
May 28, 2005

Is it possible for a wiring error to electrify my whole kitchen? Sometimes when I have appliances turned on and I touch the counter of my kitchen, I get zapped. Not sure if it's static electricity (feels like more)...

I think the counter is stainless steel. I am in Hong Kong, the land of shoddy workmanship. I just don't want to get electrocuted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victoryismine
May 28, 2005

grover posted:

Yes, it is possible. Easy way to tell: were you touching anything else at the time? If not, and if you got shocked once and only once, it was probably just static electricity. If it's energized, you can use a meter to measure the voltage between the counter and whatever else it is you were touching; electric shocks require you to be touching a hot circuit and a grounded circuit simultaneously; one or the other by itself will not be noticeable. So if, say, your toaster oven shorted out and energized the counter, you might get a shock when leaning on the counter and touching the grounded chassis of your coffee pot. Etc. Everything that's exposed is *supposed* to be solidly grounded so that if it goes get energized, it will create a short circuit and trip the circuit breaker. Dunno how diligent Hong Kong electricians are about grounds, though...

Does Hong Kong require GFCI outlets or isolation transformers or anything else like that in kitchens?

I ignored this problem for a while but I just did a test doing what you said and I can definitely feel some kind of current when I am touching the coffee pot metal and the table metal at the same time. Can't feel anything when I am just touching the coffee pot.

Any idea how severe of a problem this is to fix?

victoryismine
May 28, 2005

I don't have enough info to google this...

How do I remove this burnt-out halogen bulb? Can I just pull it out? Kind of scared to break something! Nothing happens when I try to unscrew the "housing" so I don't think there is another way to get the outer part out from the ceiling.

victoryismine
May 28, 2005

kastein posted:

The ones I have seen in that size (it's like 2" diameter across the glass reflector right?) just push straight in. Two small blade terminals on the back.

In fact here's the kind I'm talking about :

(the site I rehosted that off of had the most quaint rightclick prevention script... except it didn't work, and this isn't 1995, so I'm not sure why they bothered!)

Does this whole silver piece come out, or just the bulb in the middle? I have been trying to pull on the bulb to no avail. Too scared to use some pliers. The reflective piece is housed tightly against a black metal thing so I don't know how i could jimmy that out either.