Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Can someone fill me in on why the hell don't dishwasher come with a wire / plug? Pretty much every appliance but that one come with one, is there a reason we have to make our own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I'm not an electrician by any stretch (and I'm Canadian anyway) but AFAIK that panel should be on a plywood sheet or something so that the wires can be stapled close to the panel.

If you rewire that dryer.. give yourself some slack! Sheesh that wire is ran tight.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I have this going from my house's 200 amp panel to my garage: (underground)

I did the muscular part (digging the trench and the 3in hole in my garage's concrete floor) now comes the part I need help with.

I'd like to wire all this up for 240v @ 60 amp (I might have a 240v compressor eventually but I wont be running much machinery of this, is 60 amp too much for lighting, a few electrical outlets and the compressor?) How should I wire this up on the panels?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Well I'm preparing to get a permit for this, hoping to have some help..

Here's how I plan to install this;

100amp breaker (it can do 240v since it's a double pole) @ the house panel, (Why don't they make 70 amp breakers to match their 70amp panels?)
70amp panel (8 slots) in the garage

For now I'll only drop 2 15 amp breakers (1 for external light, 1 for internal lights) 2 20 amp breakers (one for each sides of the garage's wall electrical outlets) into it, but I will have room to add the breaker needed for a compressor etc.

How's this sounding to you guys?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. :)

babyeatingpsychopath, is this what you refer to? My house is equipped in Federal (pretty much brand new install), so I figured I'd match the garage.

I found this while trying to find a wiring diagram, this looks right to you guys?

Edit: Added some question; Can I mount the panel on particle boards or is plywood the only way to go? Should the wire be covered in the garage, since it's so large (the wire would be exposed about 4 feet coming from the ground otherwise)?

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 15, 2009

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

It's a detached garage, my panels are 10 feet away from each other.

Can the grounding rod be exposed to the element? I will save myself a lot of work if I don't have to make another hole in the garage's concrete floor.

My cable is 4x3ga

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Uhh, the very name for that object should answer your question

How so? I'm concerned about the bare copper wire corroding away in the rain.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Well this thread saved me from burning my garage down! Thanks again.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Hello, me again with questions regarding wiring up my garage. (still)

I have a Federal 64 slots 200 amp panel in my house. (I wish I had the 40 since 64 is way too many but I disgress) It's mounted upside down to allow for the counter outside and such.

Two questions; Is It okay to bring in any more wire from the bottom (normally the top) with connectors and all or is that forbidden? Is the metal part protecting the naughty bits (the mains) required by code? Can I leave the shield out If the first question is 'yes' and I have wire going through there?

In the best of worlds I'd have enough wire to go through the hole at the top (which is normally the bottom.. sigh) but I'm 4 feet short.

Hopefully the solution isn't the pull that wire out and feed a new one. :(

P.S.: This is a lot like my panel, mine is just denser.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I don't know about Federal in Canada, but Federal Pacific in the US is electrician-speak for "house-consuming electrical fire deathtrap in a box."
I really wish I had been told about that, but to be honest with you the electrician didn't give me a choice per say. (I didn't know better either anyway so..)

If there are still available knockouts on the bottom, it should be fine to punch another one out and feed a wire in from the bottom. The "metal part protecting the naughty bits" is called the deadfront, because if you remove it and touch something, you're dead. US Code says you have to have that installed, Canadian code probably does as well.

There's 3 free knockout big enough to pass my 1" 1/2 wire through. My problem is the dead front doesn't give a whole lot of room to have wire go past it, and the wires might be touching a sharp edge of the dead front.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Mthrboard posted:

Take this as a lesson learned, never cut the wire to length until you're sure it's long enough. And then cut it a foot or two longer anyway.

It's left over wires I had.

I don't know if I could even find a junction box for a 1 1/2 inch wire, let alone marets for 2ga wires.

Oh well, nothing to see here, just a guy who wasted mucho money. :(

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Thank you, that sound a lot more likely to pass inspection than tape on sharp edges. (no offense babyeatingpsychopath)

Do you happen to know what the heck a SOL is?

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...r&showreviews=1

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

You say what you may, we got our green tag yesterday.

SOL means solid wire, as in, that split bolt is not rated for stranded wire.

Thanks, makes sense now. I have stranded wires.

What is your application for these? I never saw that used in anything other than vehicle electrical (more than likely rightfully so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

kid sinister posted:

My favorite one was somebody finished their basement and built a shower with the fuse box in it. Does anybody know the site I'm talking about?
This Old House's Inspection Nightmare, perhaps?