Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I'd like to know about replacing outlets - we're buying a house with old outlets that are apparently out of date and sagging, so we need to replace them with new GFCI ones. I've found a couple of tutorials (like http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_index.asp?page_id=35720244) that say we should have a circuit tester to make sure power is off, power works after fixing, etc. How crucial is that? Can't we just plug something in to see if the power is turned off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I had a contractor redo a bunch of stuff in my house. Part of it was supposed to be running a ground wire to all the outlets. He had the drywall off and that's what I expected was going to be done.

Turns out, it wasn't done. Instead, the guy he had do the wiring did a lot of the outlets as a "bootleg" ground. From everything I read online, this is anywhere from not-so-good to will-kill-me bad. Both electricians I've called say it's not a good idea but neither of them seem too concerned either. How worried should I be? I'm more than a bit pissed but the only thing written into the contract is that I wanted "all of the outlets grounded" and of course what he did passes my basic ground plug thing I got from the hardware store. I don't know what to do, any help or advice would be more than welcome.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

How the heck do I know it's even fixed, though? My plug thing said that they were grounded; the only reason I was suspicious was because they were doing it after the drywall went back up and one of the dudes straight up said it was a bootleg ground. When I pressed him, he said "we redid the ground wire to this room and this room, the only ones bootlegged were these two" but how can I tell if they actually fix it? Should I hire an electrical inspector to come out and double check?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Thanks, that will help when I replace my awful kitchen lights as well! And we have another electrician coming in to give us an inspection and quote if it needs fixing (my guess is it will). The guy came today and tried to act like I was crazy for wanting an inspection, then said that the money I owed him was for other repairs and not the electrical stuff. I told him I'd pay after everything checked out in an inspection. Thank you everyone for the support and advice.